What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've had enough of the video referee

perverse

Referee
the video ref system is in shambles. it's absolutely hopeless, it's slowing the game down.

my proposal is bring in an NFL style challenge system and drop the interchanges to 8 or 6. each team gets 3 "challenges" during the game whereby if they have a problem with a decision the referee makes, they can challenge it and send it to the video ref. this would, of course, lead to teams challenging clear cut decisions in order to get a breather... which is why you drop the interchanges. using your challenges wisely would bring a brand new element of strategy to the game and it would give us more skilled refs (in time) as they are weined off the "draw a square in the air" syndrome.

chileman

Coach
I'm a rugby league fan first, a Bulldogs fan second.

Dragons vs Bulldogs, Saturday night.

This is what angers me about the video ref - particularly in the heritage round.

Firstly, Bulldogs winger Heka Nanai gets a potential try disallowed as it was ruled double movement... before being pushed into touch. Now, i'm not so annoyed about the rule of him being put into touch, but as the video ref was checking the double movement, he slowed it down to super slow mo. What's the point of checking for DM in slow mo? In real time it looks normal and would've been a try. If you are checking for double movement, you must check it in real time to see how it's happening at the time. Of course it's going to look like a double movement if you play it frame by frame in slow motion :roll: so what's the point of checking it?

Secondly, Matt Cooper scored a try and it did not touch any Bulldogs player - causing a knock on. There was no proper video evidence to support the claim, and the benefit of the doubt which was applied should've gone to the attacking team (The Dragons) resulting in a try. It would've been a close game had it been rewarded and we would've been in for a grandstand finish and edge of the seat game.

Honestly, it's pathetic that the video referee's these days are looking for reasons NOT to give trys and it's made worse that it happens in the heritage round. I think this round would've been perfect to see how match's were played back in the days without video refs.

I've said it before, Video refs should only be there to check grounding, and touchies should open their eyes and be the one's checking onside. I'm also in favour of bringing back the in-goal judge for less use of the video referee. The game is slowing down.
:lol: And you think that is bad, every time Bill Harrigan is vid ref for any Manly game you might as well hand any 50/50 decision over to the opposition he hates Manly so much.....he can't physically and mentally be fair when Manly plays:sarcasm:

Ryan

Juniors
Mate - it happens to all of us....look at Orfords no try tonight. There was almost an uprising tonight - and Clarke was very unprofessional in the video box, pointing at people in the crowd etc.

Watch this space for more media regarding Clarke.

It was like the Bulldogs ballboy tonight. Absolute f*ckwit! He copped a hammering from the crowd, and didn't hold back giving it either.

Unprofessional people these days.

innsaneink

Referee
I wouldn't say, as it would only be 2nd hand information. Wait until the official reports come out to get the facts...I'm not one for rumors.

Hmmmm....nothing today.
Maybe tomorrow?

Pointing!?!??! :crazy: Tut tut

Latest posts