What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting to see if anyone in neighbouring apartments heard any sound or speech. I think would resolve the he said she said situation.

Not talking about the case because I haven’t seen or heard anything about it today:

But in that scenario, I’m not sure that would resolve an impasse either way.

People could have earphones on, be deaf, thickness of walls, distracted on the net, focused on the tab form, blocked ears, pet issues, medical crisis, watch tv loudly ( I hate that) or be tigers fans sobbing over next season.

So a noise could have existed outside of the allegation of its source ...but no one external heard it.

Then a witness who heard something may have to get the time right, the basis of that etc etc.

And then perhaps it could be possible that the noise came from another unit. So doubt creeps in to connect it to the alleged event/s.

But say if there’s an allegation of a loud noise and cops ask the neighbours about it and no one hears it, maybe the defence could use that to try to say it’s unlikely that the noise occurred.

Then I guess volume of said noise is an issue to uncover. Mmm.

But I like the cut of your legal jib and creativity. I wish my lawyer thought outside of the box.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Not talking about the case because I haven’t seen or heard anything about it today:

But in that scenario, I’m not sure that would resolve an impasse either way.

People could have earphones on, be deaf, thickness of walls, distracted on the net, focused on the tab form, blocked ears, pet issues, medical crisis, watch tv loudly ( I hate that) or be tigers fans sobbing over next season.

So a noise could have existed outside of the allegation of its source ...but no one external heard it.

Then a witness who heard something may have to get the time right, the basis of that etc etc.

And then perhaps it could be possible that the noise came from another unit. So doubt creeps in to connect it to the alleged event/s.

But say if there’s an allegation of a loud noise and cops ask the neighbours about it and no one hears it, maybe the defence could use that to try to say it’s unlikely that the noise occurred.

Then I guess volume of said noise is an issue to uncover. Mmm.

But I like the cut of your legal jib and creativity. I wish my lawyer thought outside of the box.
Yes I see but I was more looking to see if anyone did or did not hear anything and if they did what did they hear.

boardlumps62

Juniors
No I won't tell you about using a glass to the ear to listen in on your neighbours through the dividing wall.
I want Jack back so please don't take this like I think he is innocent.
He should never have got himself in this situation to begin with.

possm

Coach
No I won't tell you about using a glass to the ear to listen in on your neighbours through the dividing wall.
I want Jack back so please don't take this like I think he is innocent.
He should never have got himself in this situation to begin with.
Yes I agree and I am also sure no matter what the court decides, he will be paying for this stupidity for the rest of his life.

BLM01

First Grade
You don’t think today’s reporting wasn’t graphic enough?
No..had not noticed it or knew of it.as working but the trial is in its 6th day.and after Day 1..not much juice reported.
But i gather by your description it was likely one side descriptive reporting again that has made the story worthy for them to publish it..for clicks maybe?

Last edited:
I’m not convinced anyone has done anything wrong until justice has taken its course and we have an outcome.

Whatever that happens to be.

So long as the decision is correct, either way, then that’s what I want above all else.

Also, the media only gives us a small fraction of court events. So extreme caution I think.

They really want to shift product. Get the ghastly headline, bring the ghouls in and hopefully we buy an antique sea sponge etc.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm not sure, but I better not have an opinion on the evidence that has been presented publicly so far. I wouldn't want my character questioned by people I've never met.
There’s a lot of angry and self righteous people about fcd. f**k “em!
There’s a word I’m trying to work out for those who fire the first shot someone but then have a sook when they get a shot back in their direction.

It’s either irony or hypocrisy.

Either way, there’s a place if you want to keep having a crack. It’s called the swamp.

This thread isn’t the place for it.

possm

Coach
I am a very loong time Saints fan and indeed a De Belin fan however with 5 kids and 5 grand kids of whom 3 kids and 3 grand kids are girls, I would never condone or agree with the behaviour mention in reports but will accept the verdict and move on.

Last edited:

Gardenia

Juniors
I'm still waiting to see if anyone in neighbouring apartments heard any sound or speech. I think would resolve the he said she said situation.
Well I wasnt expecting the alleged 3rd person scenario in the apartment so who knows what the prosecution will bring out.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim says 'nothing was consensual that night' and denies she did not say 'stop or no', jury hears - as she reveals why she gets flashbacks every time she has a shower
  • Cross-examination of Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim continued on Monday
  • The young woman told a jury on court that 'nothing was consensual that night'
  • De Belin and Callan Sinclair have pleaded not guilty to aggravated sexual assault
  • Woman, then 19 said she didn't consent to intercourse with de Belin or Sinclair
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 15:24 AEDT, 9 November 2020 | UPDATED: 19:51 AEDT, 9 November 2020

Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim has repeatedly told a jury 'nothing was consensual that night', denying she took off her top and positioned herself on the bed lying on her back.

She also denied a suggestion that during 'the entirely consensual' sexual acts with the NRL star and his friend Callan Sinclair she used the words 'yes, yes'.

'No, I was saying 'no, stop',' she said under cross-examination in the Wollongong District Court on Monday.

De Belin, 29, and his 23-year-old friend have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of the then 19-year-old woman after meeting her in Wollongong bar Mr Crown in December 2018.

They say their sexual contact was consensual.

St. George Illawarra Dragons playe Jack de Belin is pictured leaving the Wollongong District Court last week where he is facing trial over the alleged rape of a young woman in December 2018

The woman has testified that she thought the trio was headed to another club in the early hours of December 9 before de Belin led the group to a North Wollongong unit 'to charge his phone'.

She said initially she told the men she'd wait outside before asking to use the bathroom.

She denied a suggestion by de Belin's barrister, David Campbell SC, there had been no discussion about her using the bathroom before they entered the unit.
'There was talk about the bathroom - why would I go to someone's room if I don't know the place?' she said.

She also denied a suggestion she was kissing Sinclair in the bedroom while de Belin was in the bathroom, before he came up behind her with a towel around his waist which he then dropped.

After she said she remembered his 'wet body coming off me on my back', Mr Campbell described this as a 'new flourish' to her evidence.

'I still remember that pain every time I get into the shower,' she said.

'That is what trauma does, it makes you remember what happened before.'

12374888-8915847-De_Belin_s_friend_Callan_Sinclair_right_is_also_charged_over_the-a-15_1604539522145.jpg

Jack de Belin (left) and friend Callan Sinclair (right) were charged over the alleged rape

She also denied lying on the bed naked when a third man came to the door.

'The man who came to the room was, I suggest ... a flatmate of the owner of the room you were in,' Mr Campbell said.

'No,' she replied.

She denied later telling two people about the presence of a third man whom she thought was a roommate.

Sinclair's barrister, Craig Smith SC, also suggested the woman had kissed his client, taken her top off herself and been complimented on her breasts.

She denied kissing, undressing or being complimented saying the men told her to show them her 'rack' or 'tits'.

Mr Smith suggested that after the sexual contact, the woman looked at Sinclair for a few seconds with an upset-look saying: 'Jack, Jack, has got a girlfriend'.

'I had an upset look for the whole time,' she replied.

'Did Mr de Belin say "it's OK, me and my girlfriend are on the rocks, it's no drama"?' Mr Smith asked.

'No he never said that,' she replied.

The trial continues.

NRL star Jack de Belin arrives at Wollongong court
NRL star's Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim tells jury 'nothing was consensual that night

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-rape-victim-tells-jury-consensual-night.html

blue bags

First Grade
Alleged rape victim denies saying yes, yes

PUBLISHED: 14:03 AEDT, 9 November 2020 | UPDATED: 17:33 AEDT, 9 November 2020

Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim has repeatedly told a jury "nothing was consensual that night", denying she took off her top and positioned herself on the bed lying on her back.

She also denied a suggestion that during "the entirely consensual" sexual acts with the NRL star and his friend Callan Sinclair she used the words "yes, yes".

"No, I was saying 'no, stop'," she said under cross-examination in the Wollongong District Court on Monday.

De Belin, 29, and his 23-year-old friend have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of the then 19-year-old woman after meeting her in Wollongong bar Mr Crown in December 2018.

They say their sexual contact was consensual.

The woman has testified that she thought the trio was headed to another club in the early hours of December 9 before de Belin led the group to a North Wollongong unit "to charge his phone".

She said initially she told the men she'd wait outside before asking to use the bathroom.

She denied a suggestion by de Belin's barrister, David Campbell SC, there had been no discussion about her using the bathroom before they entered the unit.

"There was talk about the bathroom - why would I go to someone's room if I don't know the place?" she said.

She also denied a suggestion she was kissing Sinclair in the bedroom while de Belin was in the bathroom, before he came up behind her with a towel around his waist which he then dropped.

After she said she remembered his "wet body coming off me on my back", Mr Campbell described this as a "new flourish" to her evidence.

"I still remember that pain every time I get into the shower," she said.

"That is what trauma does, it makes you remember what happened before."

She also denied lying on the bed naked when a third man came to the door.

"The man who came to the room was, I suggest ... a flatmate of the owner of the room you were in," Mr Campbell said.

"No," she replied.

She denied later telling two people about the presence of a third man whom she thought was a roommate.

Sinclair's barrister, Craig Smith SC, also suggested the woman had kissed his client, taken her top off herself and been complimented on her breasts.

She denied kissing, undressing or being complimented saying the men told her to show them her "rack" or "tits".

Mr Smith suggested that after the sexual contact, the woman looked at Sinclair for a few seconds with an upset-look saying: "Jack, Jack, has got a girlfriend".

"I had an upset look for the whole time," she replied.

"Did Mr de Belin say 'it's OK, me and my girlfriend are on the rocks, it's no drama'?" Mr Smith asked.

"No he never said that," she replied.

The trial continues.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-8928097/Alleged-rape-victim-repeats-no-consent.html

blue bags

First Grade
'I have not lied!' Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim gets defensive in court after being confronted with CCTV footage of her night out with the NRL star
  • Jack de Belin and Callan Sinclair allegedly sexually assaulted a woman, 19
  • De Belin's lawyer accused the alleged victim of lying in court on Wednesday
  • Footage showed the woman laughing after the leaving the alleged crime scene
  • She said she 'has not lied' and was only laughing to 'protect and act herself'
  • The woman said she did not consent to intercourse with de Belin or Sinclair
  • But de Belin and Sinclair De Belin argue the woman consented to sexual activity

PUBLISHED: 12:18 AEDT, 5 November 2020 | UPDATED: 13:07 AEDT, 5 November 2020

A woman's allegations that NRL star Jack de Belin raped her will come under further scrutiny when her cross-examination continues in Wollongong.

The footballer's barrister on Wednesday accused the woman of lying over an incident captured on CCTV in which she laughed about half an hour after leaving the scene of the alleged crime.

Footage showed the woman laughing and taking a photo of de Belin and a fan on a street corner after travelling from a North Wollongong unit to the city's CBD in the early hours of December 9, 2018.

St. George Illawarra Dragons rugby league player Jack de Belin leaves the Wollongong District Court in Wollongong on Wednesday. His alleged rape victim got defensive in court after being confronted with CCTV footage of her night out with the NRL star

De Belin's barrister David Campbell SC said the woman had never mentioned the street corner incident until 'confronted' by CCTV images in court on Wednesday.

'Because I didn't remember,' she said.

The complainant denied lying or purposefully leaving it out of her account of the night.

'I have not lied,' she said.
'I may not have recollected everything. And as a victim, I was trying to protect myself and trying to act myself.'

Having detailed the alleged rape on Tuesday, she explicitly told the court on Wednesday she had not wanted to have sexual intercourse with either Callan Sinclair or de Belin in the North Wollongong unit.

De Belin, a key player for St George Illawarra, and Sinclair have both pleaded not guilty to five counts of aggravated sexual assault, arguing the 19-year-old woman consented to the sexual activity.

De Belin's friend Callan Sinclair (right) is also charged over the alleged rape of the 19-year-old

NRL star Jack de Belin arrives at Wollongong court

The District Court also heard on Wednesday that Sinclair reached out to the woman on the afternoon of December 9, after word got out that she'd alleged rape.

From another person's Facebook account, the then-21-year-old said the serious allegations 'about what happened ... (were) concerning because there are serious repercussions'

'Everything was consensual, it was a good night and I'm not sure why these rumours have come out,' the message said.

The woman said she received it while in a police station and didn't respond.

Later that day, she accompanied police to the unit, where her DNA and strands of her hair were found.

35272294-8915847-image-a-20_1604541926843.jpg

De Belin in his NSW Blues kit. De Belin, a key player for St George Illawarra, and Sinclair have both pleaded not guilty to five counts of aggravated sexual assault, arguing the 19-year-old woman consented to the sexual activity

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-defensive-court-confronted-CCTV-footage.html

blue bags

First Grade
Woman 'cried as de Belin raped her'

PUBLISHED: 13:18 AEDT, 3 November 2020 | UPDATED: 17:43 AEDT, 3 November 2020

NRL star Jack de Belin raped a teenager after ignoring her protests to stop undressing her and then asked why she was being "so emotional", a jury has been told.

The St George Illawarra player, 29, and his friend Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of a woman, then 19, after meeting her in Wollongong bar Mr Crown in December 2018.

Giving evidence on the opening day of the Wollongong District Court trial, the woman said she thought the trio was headed to another club in the early hours of December 9 before de Belin led the group to a North Wollongong unit "to charge his phone".

"I said I want to go home," the woman told the jury.

She initially told the men she'd wait outside for them before asking to use the bathroom, the court heard.

While on the toilet in a bedroom ensuite, the woman said de Belin walked in naked and began showering - causing her to exit quickly.

She was met in the dark bedroom by a clothed Sinclair, whom she'd kissed earlier in the night.

De Belin then untied her top from behind and shoved her on the bed, she told the jury.

Covering herself and saying "no, stop" as the men said "show us your tits", the woman said she felt the footballer removed the rest of her clothes.

"He split my legs open and put himself on top of me with his hand around my neck and resting on my collarbone," she said.

"And, um, then .... he put his penis inside me."

The woman couldn't recall how long that sexual encounter lasted, testifying she "was just going dead and numb inside and just let it happen".

"I only weigh 51 kilograms - they're twice the size of me," she said.

She said de Belin and Sinclair alternated positions, "cheering each other on".

"I just had tears out of my eyes the whole time," she said.

When Sinclair left the room, de Belin entered her anus and she screamed "stop" due to the pain.

She believed the footballer said sorry before he re-entered her vagina and choked her.

After de Belin finished, the woman told Sinclair she didn't want "any of this to happen".

De Belin asked why she was "being so emotional" and that she "can't tell anyone about this", she said.

The trio caught an Uber back into Wollongong's CBD, with de Belin handing the woman $50 "for the Uber and to keep your mouth shut".

The jury is expected to see CCTV from Mr Crown and Wollongong's CBD, including the woman dancing and playing with de Belin's hat.

Sinclair and the woman, who knew each other previously, kissed at the bar, with the woman describing it as "pecking" and "nothing serious".

In his opening address to the jury, crown prosecutor David Scully said the "friendliness" ended when the trio got back to the unit.

The woman complained to friends, family and work colleagues before making a formal police statement and agreeing to a medical examination on the afternoon of December 9.

Her DNA was later found in the unit.

The jury would hear intercepted phone calls involving the accused men in which they effectively accept sexual activity occurred but they say it was consensual, Mr Scully said.

De Belin's mother and sister, as well as a person "connected with" St George, may give evidence during the trial, the footballer's barrister, David Campbell SC, said.

He asked the jury to keep an open mind as things may at first appear "cogent, strong and accurate" but seem different as more pieces of the puzzle emerged.

The footballer "doesn't and never has" disputed sexual activity took place.

"The issue he is raising is: everything happened with the consent of those involved," Mr Campbell said.

Craig Smith SC, for Sinclair, echoed the statements about consent and reiterated his client didn't sexually assault the teenager.

"There is evidence both before and after that activity that is consistent with that activity being consensual activity," he said.

The trial continues.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-8907959/De-Belin-told-woman-mouth-shut.html

Status
Not open for further replies.