What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Hastings to play for GB

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I agree, smacks of desperation to me. Bennett is trying to do to GB what he did with NZ in 2008 with Fien.

I have no issue with heritage players as other sports do, but other sports are legitimately made up of homegrown players as well as heritage. The bulk of our teams are out of NRL or SL and our international game is concentrated in west Sydney etc.

Burns

First Grade
Who is in front of Hastings but? Widdop will be 5/8 right? Have no idea who would play halfback. George Williams? Luke Gale?

roughyedspud

Coach
I agree, smacks of desperation to me.

We don't need to be desperate though that's the point...the current England team is capable of beating Australia....so selecting Aussie heritage players who are no where near good enough for origin let alone the kangaroos will not make us better..

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
This is weird. His father should have gone on the 1982 Kangaroo tour but Queensland politics got in the way but the idea of Jackson playing an international , WTF, I'm scratching my head over this one.

Matua

Bench
I agree, smacks of desperation to me. Bennett is trying to do to GB what he did with NZ in 2008 with Fien.
Fien was already playing with NZ before Bennett came on as an advisor and would have been included in that team regardless of Bennett.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Not for me. We shouldn’t be using heritage players and before anyone says it, I couldn’t give a flying one what other sports do.
I don’t mind selecting English born players who moved to Australia as children or even at a stretch players with English born parents but grandparents is a step too far for me. Smacks of desperation.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
We don't need to be desperate though that's the point...the current England team is capable of beating Australia....so selecting Aussie heritage players who are no where near good enough for origin let alone the kangaroos will not make us better..

I agree, England is a decent team.

RedVee

First Grade
Where did this come from? Being eligible is a long way from being picked imo

deluded pom?

Coach
He’s probably going to get the Man of Steel award so there’s been a push for his inclusion as long as he proved he was eligible, which he is.

Dakink

Bench
Having just seen the kangaroos test squad lol...England would beat that team no problem
Would you like a friendly wager on that ;) ...if we could get the stoopid NRL to agree to a game. I think its a good looking team. Plenty of youth and enthusiasm. I think England would struggle.

roughyedspud

Coach
Having spent the last 35years looking at kangaroo squads and developing a cold sweat...I've looked at the current squad and gone....MEH! that it??