What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Topine sues Bulldogs

ouwet

Bench
It matches with what has been made clear about the club's current culture. This isn't just isolated to Jackson Topine, nor should it be solely a question of the various merits of Topine and the experience he had. Look at what Ciraldo and Gould's reaction was to RFM approaching his coach 1 on 1 as the captain to convey the concerns of a group of the playing group. And sure he was universally criticised for being 'soft', but it matches with Andrew Davey's comments last year when he left mid-season.

As I see it, the problem isn't the 'hazing' or the 'punishments' - the problem is that the club appears to want to create a particular culture and is happy to tear down and burn players while doing it. You only have to see the high turnover of players the Bulldogs have had since Ciraldo took over. Sure, we can deride players as 'soft' and that other clubs do similar practices, but clearly, they aren't doing it in the same manner as the Bulldogs are, or otherwise we'd be hearing similar stories.

The issue with Davey and TPJ, Fu Brown and Pele etc. they came to the dogs for the easy pay check, minimal work... RFM has been doing that since he arrived! They weren't expecting Ciraldo to basically be either you do what we want or you F*** off.

Jackson came to the dogs at a time where the easy option was always taken and accepted, no more, he was being shopped around before this happened and was on the outer, he knew it hence the 'mental health issues'.

Ado Carr was very close to being shipped out but he put in not like the other b****es.

Jackson better hope he wins cause he has no more football career and let's be frank not many business owners now would want such a liability who has a cry when it gets tough!

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
I AM HURT!

I haven't been on the kennel since they turfed me for my "Kris Keating for Kaptaincy" campaign

Banned from the kennel you say?
0cbc1b28f48bc9f56c67cd0de778804e192672efd1de85eb66c0e024116d4e9f_1.jpg

But in all seriousness, I think if your coach and club think the way to build culture is through means like this, they haven’t got a prayer

There is setting standards, working hard and driving culture and then there is this. And maybe there is stuff like this going on but no other club is having players come out the way they have at the dogs. And if this is going on elsewhere that not ok either and I hope more players speak out

Chins get the wins

First Grade

But in all seriousness, I think if your coach and club think the way to build culture is through means like this, they haven’t got a prayer

There is setting standards, working hard and driving culture and then there is this. And maybe there is stuff like this going on but no other club is having players come out the way they have at the dogs. And if this is going on elsewhere that not ok either and I hope more players speak out
The coach came from the best side in professional rugby league history and the Dogs are on the up......

ouwet

Bench

"then there is this".
Buddy he had to wrestle 10-36 players (number keeps going up from last yr to this year lmfao)... he wasn't forced to kill someone. Geez morons who are so sheltered think that's a bad punishment Lol you have no hope in life.

dogslife

Coach

I don't think I was banned. More run out of town

Remains to be seen for mine. Take it with a grain of salt as he's a former Bulldogs player, but Braith Anasta went on 360 tonight and said this goes on at every club. He had to wrestle blokes because it was a wrestling session, if it was a field session he'd have run laps, boxing session or whatever, it goes on. I like that we're driving standards off the field. Even JAC who came from an uber professional Melbourne outfit said he was taking the piss during training prior to last year. Find me a Bulldogs fan who isn't happy with the way we're trending, we've scored 30 points more times in the last month than we have in 5 years.

simmo05

Bench
Based on the report I fully support the guy. It's bullying and intimidation. Exactly what I would have expected from a Gould dominated club. The fact that RL is a game played by blokes doesn't mean you're entitled to deride and physically dominate anyone. These dickheads need to grow-up.
The came down hard on this type of shit in the army. Not acceptable for the infantry corps, not acceptable for a sport either. There is a line separating tough training and abuse

simmo05

Bench
The best part of this thread is all those saying it's soft or calling him a little bitch would be the first ones crying to an employment lawyer if their work tried something like this on lmao.
And then the grubby management attacked the players supporting him. Why was there not immediate industrial action from the players union?

Wizardman

First Grade
Whether this reaches a courtroom or not (I strongly believe the two parties will settle out of court), this case will (or at least should) change the way discipline is conducted at clubs forever. Clubs will simply give men like Topine who was late for training a breach notice or some other non-physical punishment in future to get their message across.
I absolutely do not believe the Bulldogs had unfairly targetted Topine. Instead of threatening Topine with losing his job, they chose to discipline him in a way clubs have done for decades. Unfortunately for them, there are laws that protect every workplace in this country. To do the "Sharkpit" method in the Australian workplace simply does not fly anymore. Every workplace has a duty of care to protect its workers from harm in the best way they can.

Danish

Referee
NFI mate, just going on what's been reported.

I can only assume with the pre season boot camps, they all have to go through the same treatment rather than singling one person out and one person alone. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that employers can't do that shit anymore. Every employer has a duty of care, like it or not, that's life in 2024.

well you assume wrong.

pretty standard fare that anyone who falls behind at a boot camp gets a f**king rocket put up them.

professional sport is not a normal employer. You can apply the same standard of workplace rules like you would at a normal place of business. It’s a completely different environment, much more in line with the armed forces

Vlad59

Juniors
Amused by all the speculation. It’s a legal claim so expect histrionics from the claimant. He’s after a payday.

Wizardman

First Grade
well you assume wrong.

pretty standard fare that anyone who falls behind at a boot camp gets a f**king rocket put up them.

professional sport is not a normal employer. You can apply the same standard of workplace rules like you would at a normal place of business. It’s a completely different environment, much more in line with the armed forces
Under the present laws, it very much is. The military has changed quite a bit over recent times too.

Wizardman

First Grade
Amused by all the speculation. It’s a legal claim so expect histrionics from the claimant. He’s after a payday.
Im suspecting he is. He made no effort to talk to the integrity unit about the matter. It does sound like he was preparing for this.

However, workplace rules do protect him and he dogs may have broke them. He'll get some sort of payout.

Latest posts