What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacque Kallis

Anonymous

Juniors
Last night acheived the rare feat of scoring a hundred in every match in the series.

In the 4 game series against the Windies he has scored 4 in total.

Remarkable feat.....

Anonymous

Juniors
He isn't even bowling at the moment. SAF are letting him reach his full batting potential which is something they have needed to let him do for a while.

choc_soldier

Coach
I've always seen him more as a batting all rounder, rather than the other way round.

But he's good enough a bowler to open the attack.

weasel

First Grade
Commendable effort by Kallis but those Windies bowlers are absolute rubbish. Compare it to the huge run-scoring feats in the India/Australia test series. One of the reasons given for the likes of Ponting and Dravid piling on the runs was ordinary bowling, but they still had to conquer some world class bowlers to achieve this, i.e. Gillespie, Kumble. South Africa's biggest threat has been Mervyn Dillon. :roll: The most impressive batsman in that test series has been Lara by a longshot, he's scored close to 500 runs already and that done against Ntini and Pollock. It'd probably be harder to score 1 run against one of those two than 10 against any of the windies attack.

Anonymous

Juniors
Kallis has scored 715 runs, and although by test standard the bowling hasn't been great to be able to score consitent hundreds like he has done takes a player in remarkable form with unlimited concentration.

It would be hard against the lesser teams, trust me on that.

Iafeta

Referee
World class player, massively underrated. Fine technique, capable though of bludgening attacks. And then to add he's a 130 kp/h swing bowler on top of that. How much extra balance does that give to any side - particularly when they already have probably the world's best all-rounder in Shaun Pollock in their team.

syphon

Juniors
weasel said:
but they still had to conquer some world class bowlers to achieve this, i.e. Gillespie, Kumble.

Laughable. the attacks out here this summer were substandard. Gillespie was injured for the Melbourne test, and even though he played in Sydney, looked as stiff as a triple scotch in the words of KOK.,and when you consider MacGill was the leading wicket taker :shock:

as for the Indians, the likes of Agarkar being their frontline bowler with a test average of in the 40's, and Pathan and Kartik making debuts, the latter would be lucky to get a gig with Sydney Uni 2nd grade.

syphon

Juniors
Iafeta said:
World class player, massively underrated. Fine technique, capable though of bludgening attacks. And then to add he's a 130 kp/h swing bowler on top of that. How much extra balance does that give to any side - particularly when they already have probably the world's best all-rounder in Shaun Pollock in their team.
Pollock is not a patch on Kallis as far as allrounders go.

Anonymous

Juniors
Disagree, I think Pollock is right up there. He's also underrated, look at his bowling stats. I'm pretty sure he has the lowest test average going at the moment, 300+ wickets at 20, and he's averaging 30+ (I think??) with the bat. Staggering figures.

stormboy

Juniors
Kallis is a step above the rest at the moment - i am going to say the best in the world at the moment :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Disagree, I think Pollock is right up there. He's also underrated, look at his bowling stats. I'm pretty sure he has the lowest test average going at the moment, 300+ wickets at 20, and he's averaging 30+ (I think??) with the bat. Staggering figures.

TESTS
(including 02/01/2004)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting 79 111 28 2867 111 34.54 51.26 2 13 61 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 2948.2 921 6778 321 21.11 7-87 16 1 55.1 2.29

An average of 34 I don't think is a true indicator of his batting ability. I actually don't think he is a 34.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming we're talking about Pollock.

I like to define an all rounder as a player whose bowling ave is lees than his batting ave.

He may be asisted by a few not outs, batting at no 8. He has a very good batting technique, but IMO is not in the all rounder class of Kallis.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
IMO Kallis is a dud of a batsmen, and not much chop as a bowler. Although he is reasonably handy at both.
He is better than me, but is not a man that makes me worried when playing South Africa. His batting technique is no match for high class bowling. His bowling is no match for high class batsmen.
As a batsman, I do not put him in the top class ie Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Vaughan.
As a bowler, I put him in the same class a Agarker. Yes he gets wickets, but he is no class bowler, and most wickets come form bad batting more so than good bowling.

When RSA come back here
Ntini and Pollock will be the concerns for our quality batsman.
Hibbs and Smith will be the concerns for our quality bowlers.
Kallis will contribute but not highly IMO.
Kallis goes alright but I do not rate him highly at all.

aqua_duck

Coach
a batting average of 54 and a bowling average of 30 over a long period of time, those numbers are Garfield SObers like.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Kallis V Aus
M: 12 R: 685 HS: 101 Ave :32.61 100's:1 50's: 4 Bowling ave: 39.68
Tendulkar V Aus
M: 19 R: 1789 HS: 241* Ave: 57.70 100's:7 50's: 6 Bowling ave: 43.54
Dravid V Aus
M: 14 R: 1313 HS: 233 Ave: 57.08 100's:2 50's: 7
Lara V Aus
M: 27 R: 2470 HS: 277 Ave: 51.45 100's:8 50's 11.68

He is not in the same class against quality opposition.
Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid etc average roughly the same against all and against us - the benchmark. Kallis averages 20 less against us.

Which I why I think
Mr Angry said:
When RSA come back here
Please don't compare him to Sobers.

Mr Angry said:
Kallis V Aus
M: 12 R: 685 HS: 101 Ave :32.61 100's:1 50's: 4 Bowling ave: 39.68
Tendulkar V Aus
M: 19 R: 1789 HS: 241* Ave: 57.70 100's:7 50's: 6 Bowling ave: 43.54
Dravid V Aus
M: 14 R: 1313 HS: 233 Ave: 57.08 100's:2 50's: 7
Lara V Aus
M: 27 R: 2470 HS: 277 Ave: 51.45 100's:8 50's 11.68

He is not in the same class against quality opposition.
Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid etc average roughly the same against all and against us - the benchmark. Kallis averages 20 less against us.

Which I why I think
Mr Angry said:
When RSA come back here
Please don't compare him to Sobers.

Tendulkar and Lara are greats of the game no doubt about that. But up until this summer Dravid didn't do anything against us either other than that big 181 with Laxman.

I'd wait till after the next series against SA before I really judge Kallis too hard. As for Gibbs his technique is so flawed against good bowling he has no real foot work, he is more of an eye player. As for Kallis's bowling it has dropped away bit as Ntini and Nel and others have started taking wickets and he has been relied on less and he has been able to spend more time on his batting which has improved enormously.

In batting terms you will see the real Kallis out here next time.