What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jake what do you have against Luke Burt and Daniel Wagon?

Utey

Coach
Look at how devating Eric Grothe is. Also look at the amount of tackle breaks and speed which he has and thats why he has already got a spot on my teams wing. After about 12 rounds Mateo should have been on our bench. I think he has the skills to go all the way. Round 1 was poor and no1 played well but some were overly worse. Wade doesnt play in the centres becuase Smith knows better. Mckinnon in the centres would be good but as a last line of defense he single handidly saved around 30 tries this year.

Grothe offers something in attack Burt cannot even bust a tackle or he will brake a finger nail.

Yes Mateo is a better player. He would offer more especially in attack. His defence is as good as Wagon.

Lyon does not miss tackles, he was that good. He did not miss any tackles in 2001 GF the only game he played crap in was the Game against the dogs and for good reason as Judas walked out on us that night.

BD5733

Juniors
oldmancraigy said:
The fact is that Burt misses 1 out of every 3 tackles he attempts.... that aint so good!

Burt actually missed closer to every 1 in 5 tackles he attempted in 2004. So your fact was wrong

lucablight

First Grade
Look at how devating Eric Grothe is. Also look at the amount of tackle breaks and speed which he has and thats why he has already got a spot on my teams wing

Grothe offers something in attack Burt cannot even bust a tackle or he will brake a finger nail.

Alright fair enough but by saying this you are contradicting yourself. Grothe is a great player. I remember his try against the sharks-simply amazing. However you have criticised Burt for his defence when statistically Grothe was shown to be even worse. Yet you praise one and crucify the other. You have to remember that players have their own styles. Not all players score tries by barnstorming runs. If you look at players like Rhys Wesser, Preston Campbell, Matt Bowen and Billy Slater they all use their blistering pace to run through gaps. Burt has shown he has these qualities. By your logic Grothe should not be in the team and we all agree that would be just absurd.

Utey

Coach
When exaclty did Burt show these this year? Your fighting a losing battle. Grothe is a definate starter. When uninjured he is purely devasting in attack with blistering speed. Burt has nothing to off us in the centre position.

BD5733

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Thats 1 too many tackles. because every missed tackle opf his led to trys against.

I severely doubt that EVERY one of hos tackles led to a try against.

Now your letting the fact you don't like Burt as a player get in the way of having an ACTUAL reasons like you did before.

Burt only made 3 try assists this year. THAT stat is possibly the most concerning for a centre who is tainted as an "attacking centre"

Burt does not even run into holes in the back line he doesn't even know what that means his only form of attack is to run around players and use his speed but to do that he needs space and unfortunately there is not much space on the field for a player like this. Grothe Breaks tackles and scores trys and can change a game any time he has talent and a skill of breaking tackles. What does Burt offer Very few trys, and a lot of trys against.

a typical Burt try (if he doesn't knock it on) is receiving the ball 5m out and running a diving, where is the f**king skill in that.

Another question if he comes off contract do u think other clubs would chase him. The Sydney Bulls would not even look at him but because he is one of Brians babes or lovers or family whatever he has a spot in the team.

Utey

Coach
I agree our backs didnt see much ball with our 5/8 being Wagon most of the year but when they did Burt did nothing.

lucablight

First Grade
When exaclty did Burt show these this year?

He was playing well at the beginning of the year.

Burt only made 3 try assists this year. THAT stat is possibly the most concerning for a centre who is tainted as an "attacking centre"

One thing I agree on is that he becomes lost in games sometimes.

I don't dislike Burt infact he took a pay cut to stay with us but I just dont rate him as a player and opposition clubs love us when they see his name in the side.

Bottom line is I'd like to see younger guys in that position who have potential rather a player who is passed his used by date. Burt came in with alot of raps when he 1st made grade and he has not lived anywhere near them, U can be fast but u need talent and skill and u need to be strong in defence otherwise your just another Chris Walker.

oldmancraigy

Coach
lucablight said:
If you look at the top 10 missed tackle percentages I believe Eric Grothe is somewhere on that list. Why haven't you complained about that?

When Grothe only has 2 tackles a game to his credit then the missed tackles percentage becomes a little misleading....
Nevertheless, Grothe could certainly improve his defence - but his attack FAR exceeds that of Burt. He is faster and stronger and creates tries out of nothing! Burt has excellent finishing skills, but I believe Grothes' to be far superior - I'm sure most agree!

At the current stage would you say Mateo has been going well enough in premier league and Wagon bad enough in first grade for Mateo to take over?

I would think Mateo would be the least of Wagons worries for a first grade spot next year! With Hindmarsh, Cayless, Morrison, Widders all certainties to start ahead of him, and Afamasaga and Mateo real talents coming through things don't look good for the man with the longest neck in league!

Also another thing I was wondering (excuse my ignorance) but if Burt was carving it up at fullback in the beginning of the year and Wade Mckinnon has such good defence then why doesn't Wade play in the centres?

Forgiving your ignorance - but perhaps your presupposition that Burt was carving it up at fullback needs to be reassessed! The guy certainly did some good things, but (seems a common story) he was found out a few times in defence - standing way too deep, spilling bombs, missing one on one tackles which probably should've been made. Most good judges agree that McKinnon is one of the best defensive fullbacks in the game - and he was second only to Anthony Minichiello in terms of tackle breaks this season (he was 5 behind having played 5 less games).

Put simply, Burt got shifted to a new position because McKinnon was much better!

lucablight

First Grade
Grothe Breaks tackles and scores trys and can change a game any time he has talent and a skill of breaking tackles. What does Burt offer Very few trys, and a lot of trys against.

If you look at it Grothe and Burt have alot of similarities. Both of them can score tries, both of them tend to make defensive errors and both tend to have brain explosions. The main difference is that Grothe is a devastating ball runner and Burt runs around people as Jake said.

Another question if he comes off contract do u think other clubs would chase him. The Sydney Bulls would not even look at him but because he is one of Brians babes or lovers or family whatever he has a spot in the team.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but was Eric Grothe released by the Roosters because he couldn't get a run in first grade? On another note I find it hard to believe how they could release him and sign Chris Walker. :lol:

lucablight- HE tries to run around people (Key word is tries because he can't even do that).

Grothe wanted out to the dismay of many Roosters supporters and the coach. And how have they regretted it Last year with Byrne getting run down By Sattler and just last weekend with thatIdiot walker in the team enough said.

Bottom line is Burt is not fit enough to tie Grothe shoes please do not compare them.

lucablight

First Grade
Jake I think you're being a little harsh. It really is surprising how you can call someone with 12 tries from 23 appearances who happens to be the clubs leading pointscorer this year that crap. Guess we'll see what happens next season eh?

If I remember correctly Grothe said he wanted to leave the roosters because there were too many better players in front of him at the roosters and he thought he could get a better chance at the eels.

Also I've been wondering what ever happened to Michael Vella. From being a consistent rep player to this. What has happened to him? Is he down on confidence or has he niggling injuries this year?

I think we will agree to disagree mate. We all want the best for Parra thats the main thing.

On Vella well don't get me started as Im tired and want to go to sleep and this thread would just keep going and going and going. But to put it in 2 words decribing Vella: Very Poor.

See ya.

blackfriday

Juniors
vella just couldnt be stuffed this season and i only just remembered he played origin and kangaroos. burt didnt play well at all but at least it looked like he cared. hopefully he'll be put on the wing where he belongs.

Stagger eel

Staff member
It was an ordinary season for everyone involved at the club with the exception of Hindy and Wade.

to focus on individual players and almost ridicule them is extremely harsh, those players have an opportunity to redeem themselves next season when they are part of a stable more stronger unit.

let's give them their support.