What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamal Idris quits NRL

JAMES_FOO

Juniors
Lewis, Jennings, Gordon now Idris. Big players pushed out.
They're no longer spring chickens but they would have been good mentors for the young guys coming through.

Johnnie Red

Juniors
I'm sure he is a nice enough guy but I think coasting along on talent alone is being lazy.
What serious efforts has he made to keep his weight on track? What's he going to do with his life now? It's a situation where a little bit of effort on his part would have paid huge rewards. I think he will regret it in the future, how many jobs are out there that pay as well as his?

I hear you can earn $350k by picking fights at the aquarium.

DlEHARD

Juniors
I wish him the best and hope he can return to the NRL in top form.

Perhaps he will work with Michael Searle on this new children's TV show...

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Having thought about this, it seems to me the 'retirement' is a salary cap manoeuvre. If the Panthers were to cut him, his payments would count against the cap. When a player 'retires' they are exempt. I expect he is taking his pay out and will probably 'unretire' after the end of next season.

JAMES_FOO

Juniors
Losing Idris is a win for the Panthers.

At the moment, yes it is a win for the Panthers as Idris is all over the place, but if he was fit and mentally capable I feel he is a strong addition to the Panthers team.
Melbourne wouldn't be looking at him if he wasn't a quality player.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
His attitude must atleast partially contribute to his injuries. He's a great when not injured, but wont put extra effort in to being healthier and fitter. If he shed a few kgs of fat it would surely help him be a much better player and less prone to injury. His body is carrying unnecessary weight in a position where you tend to move around a lot in all directions basically.

I can only hope and imagine that Griffin and Gus expect more from our players in 2016 and that Idris just wasn't willing to work harder.

Fat and lazy. Griffin will be spewing he finally had someone in his squad he didn't have 'turn' into this...

some11

Referee
You might say he's lost Idrist in the game....

I'll go.

r3NSWdM.gif

macnaz

Staff member
Imagine how fat he'll be without having to train everyday

That was my first thought , if he is out for a season he would need a further 2 to be able to get back to playing weight.
Must say he is a nice bloke and i do wish him well.

Glen

Bench
If he doesn't want to play footy he's doing the right thing. Money isn't everything. Can't help but feel he has been stringing everyone along for a few years though, collecting his pay while putting in piss-poor efforts. He will probably be like Eric Grothe Jr who only seemed to become interested in playing footy right at the end of his career.