What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamal Idris set to leave Panthers

Charlie124

First Grade
The Courier Mail and Fox Sports are reporting that Idris has played his last game for the Panthers as they're set to grant him an early release from his contract.

I'm on my phone so can't post the link but it's on their front page

Anyone got there story in this one?

Snappy

Coach
JAMAL Idris may have played his last game for Penrith.

The former Test and Origin superstar has been approached by rival NRL clubs and the Sunday Telegraph understands the Panthers are amenable to granting Idris an early release from his contract, which expires at the end of 2016.

Idris suffered a ruptured ACL injury last month, ruling him out for the season.

The 24-year-old is undergoing rehabilitation following his knee reconstruction.

Penrith have rising stars Waqa Blake, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and George Jennings in their squad, so can adequately cover the centre position that Idris occupies.

Idris takes up a significant amount of Penrith’s salary cap, and should the club consider releasing him early, it will free them up to retain off-contract stars or poach other players.

Penrith’s general manager, Phil Gould, released a statement on Sunday confirming that the Panthers would not stand in Idris’s way if he chose to leave early.

Panthers General Mangaer Gus Gould says the club will support any decision Idris makes.
Panthers General Mangaer Gus Gould says the club will support any decision Idris makes.Source: Twitter
“Our priority here is for Jamal to be healthy and happy. Whether [his] future involves Panthers/rugby league is totally up to Jamal,” Gould said.

Idris joined Penrith from the Gold Coast with much fanfare last year.

Early in the season, he was stood down from the club to deal with his personal problems.

Following a stint in a rehabilitation program, Idris bounced back to fight his way back into first grade and finish the season strongly. At the start of this year, Idris underwent spinal surgery, removing veterbra and fixing nerve damage in his back.

He returned to the field but in the round six clash against Manly on April 11, Idris tore the anterior cruciate ligament on his knee, an injury that requires full reconstruction and generally sidelines players for the entire season.

On his day, Idris can win games single-handedly, which is why he was chosen to play for NSW in 2010 and Australia in 2011.

Idris won the 2009 Dally M rookie of the year while he was at the Bulldogs and was touted as a better prospect than Israel Folau.

The Panthers shocked the competition last year by making the semi-finals, but they have made an average start to 2015, winning just four of nine games.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...game-for-penrith/story-e6frf3tu-1227349160463

lafai

Bench
Whare, Robert Jennings, DWZ and Blake are all centre options for Penrith. Not saying they're better but Idris could easily go or play in the back row.

Nifty

Juniors
Whare, Robert Jennings, DWZ and Blake are all centre options for Penrith. Not saying they're better but Idris could easily go or play in the back row.

There is talk going around that Michael Jennings could be returning to the Panthers

TheFrog

Coach
There is talk going around that Michael Jennings could be returning to the Panthers

I can fully understand how and why the Roosters need to show Jennings the door, but I don't see how he would be value for Penrith at the sort of price to which he's accustomed with the outside backs already there.

Of course if Jenko were to understand that he was paid twice what he was in fact worth at Penrith in the past and agreed to play for half that now...well maybe he could be accommodated.

Idris could easily go or play in the back row.

He could if he were any good. His main problem is that he's not fit enough, IMHO. The best use he could be put to is as a Meninga-style wrecking ball centre, but he's too slow and also not quite the defender big Mal was.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://twitter.com/Gus10Gould/status/597240193444282368

CEnSxZ9VEAAHu2k.jpg

Nifty

Juniors
I can fully understand how and why the Roosters need to show Jennings the door, but I don't see how he would be value for Penrith at the sort of price to which he's accustomed with the outside backs already there.

Of course if Jenko were to understand that he was paid twice what he was in fact worth at Penrith in the past and agreed to play for half that now...well maybe he could be accommodated.

The talk was M Jennings wants to go back and play with his brother and wonder if it helps Hastings with rumors he could be heading there

DC_fan

Coach
I'd put good money on Idris' life going downhill fast once he can no longer play RL

I sincerely hope it doesn't. May be the best thing for him is to get away from football all together.

But if I was another team thinking about signing him, I would stop thinking about that idea.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I can't believe many clubs would want him at his current price. If he leaves you'd think it would be at a fraction of what he's on mow

Mansour as much as I love him shouldn't have be re signed. The plan all along was for Idris to move to the forwards and we finally saw this for all of one game before injuries crushed us once again

mxlegend99

Referee
We're fine regardless of whether he stays or goes. I'd like him to play second row, but if he leaves we still have 7 players in Moylan, Mansour, DWZ, Blake, Gennings, Rennings and Whare to fit into 5 back line spots. All of them are young and with their best footy ahead of them.

That's not including and other young guys who can develop into potential first graders over the next year or two either. There can let Mansour move on aswell when his contract is up. We need to put money into our halves and front row.

Jason Maher

Immortal
That player who is/might be leaving my team is not as good as I thought he was when he joined my team...

Paullyboy

Coach
Idris just strikes me as a bloke who doesn't know how good he's got it. He'll be out of the league within a couple of years if he isn't careful.

Blues Riff

Bench
Idris just strikes me as a bloke who doesn't know how good he's got it. He'll be out of the league within a couple of years if he isn't careful.

Yeah, In his mid 20s with a million in the the bank, that'll teach him :lol:.
Good luck to the big unit whatever he decides.
He treats footy as a job. He doesn't need to try too hard, getting by on natural talent, a bit like meself at work.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
is there a possible team lined up? I assume it is another Sydney based team, just due to his previous comments regarding his family.

I ask cause I cannot be stuffed to actually complete any type of internet inquiries regarding Idris.

Latest posts