What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham

Bob

Juniors
I agree with your last line...we need to change the five-eight.

IMO Walsh made great strides in the last 12 months with this team that he prior to this season never had an off-season with.

He will improve.

We need a better five-eight that takes pressure off Walsh so he doesn't need to do everything.

That's why we should have kept Graham.
I actually think Burns and Graham looked better than Walsh and Graham, don't know if Elliot wanted Walsh to be the dominant player and told Graham to play a support only type of role or not but Graham was not the same player when teamed with Walsh

Big Mick

Referee
Coote is the answer as a running 5/8 IMO

No he isn't.

He works as a Slater style player chiming into the roaming five-eight line.

He has injury problems taking on guys running once breaks are made...how is he gonna go having to make 20-30 tackles a game.

Why ruin his career as potentially a brilliant fullback?

Its a waste of talent.

That'd be up there with one of the worst moves we can do imo and wasting a talent.

But we all know who will be the #6 when we come around to it next year....Adrian Purtell.

franklin2323

Immortal
I actually think Burns and Graham looked better than Walsh and Graham, don't know if Elliot wanted Walsh to be the dominant player and told Graham to play a support only type of role or not but Graham was not the same player when teamed with Walsh

That's what I think happened. We signed Simmons, Purtell for there reach of the high ball. The bomb accuracy Walsh has all over them and as such was the clear number 1 choice

franklin2323

Immortal
Coote is the answer as a running 5/8 IMO

I am happy for him to chime in more he has the skills to get more involved. Especially how he has the biggest boot at the club at times he may of been able to create something.

He can't even put a full season together on the field put him in the 1/2's he needs to make 20-30 tackles a game too much for his body.

Slater, Boyd, Bowen, Hohaia all play in th3 1 but a big parts of the attack that can be his role

abpanther

Staff member
Of course I meant him chiming in at 5/8, as if I want him starting at 5/8 in the defensive line, I thought that was pretty obvious, even for Mick :)

My point is that Walsh needs a running 6, I think Coote can fill that void in seasons to come as Slater and others do, plus as you pointed out he has the biggest boot at the club and while he's not fast, his footwork close to the line is very good

Big Mick

Referee
Of course I meant him chiming in at 5/8, as if I want him starting at 5/8 in the defensive line, I thought that was pretty obvious, even for Mick :)

My point is that Walsh needs a running 6, I think Coote can fill that void in seasons to come as Slater and others do, plus as you pointed out he has the biggest boot at the club and while he's not fast, his footwork close to the line is very good

Well not really obvious dude. You said Coote is the answer to running 5/8.

Emphasis on the 5/8.

anjado

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jamie Lyon, Shane Perry, Sean Rudder, Inglis aren't even decent halves. Orford, Soward not even in SOO. Hornby not seen in rep teams for a good 4 years.

At best they were good 1st graders. Rudder, Inglis and Lyon were only makeshift 1/2's.

Did you not see Walsh's game improve in 12 months?? It was his 1st full season in NRL. We need a 6 if we get a running/passing 6 to compliment his kicking game we will improve so much

Rudder had Andrew Johns next to him he could of had Don Tweddle it wouldn't of mattered.

Jamie Lyon has proven to be a decent five eighth, Orford is the most underrated player of the past decade why he was never chosen for NSW i have no idea, seriously Matt Orford only a good first grader ? He won player of the year in 2008.

My point is look who Rudder and Perry have next to them, All they had to do was a minor job because Johns and Lockyer were that good they just needed someone who would do a minor role and not get in there way.

Greg Inglis and Jamie Lyon are both quality players though they both can play in the Halves, Would you have them as five eighth over Travis Burns or no ?

I said we need a five eighth more then a halfback it was my last line of my last post, We either need a champion halfback for Burns or a very good Five Eighth for Walsh if he plays to his potential.

Walsh has improved but in my opinion he was very poor in the finals especially in the Roosters game where we really needed him to stand up, He didn't take on the defensive line until the second half and we scored two tries if he had done it from the start of the game we might of had a chance of winning.

We should move Jennings into Five eighth he will get more touches of the ball, move Gordon to where he wants to play in the centre's, Put a young kkid on the wing Ryan Walker or someone else.Move Burns into lock i think he could play there his main attribute is enthusiasm and toughness i like him as a player, it's just that he has the same level of creativity as Martin Lang.

We really need to do something with our halves though this is obvious to see. To be honest i see Walsh on a similar level to Sherwin so we could win the competition with him if he plays to his potential we need a five eighth though desperately whether we convert, Jennings,Gordon,Tighe or Coote or sign someone we really need one and it should be the number one priority.

franklin2323

Immortal
You right Walsh will be the standard of Orford or Sherwin a decent NRL player but not an Origin rep.

The problem doesn't seem to be ME I have heard him mention quality players he wants only for it to be shut down. I think it's higher up that don't think outside the box. There is heaps of running 6's in ESL that would be decent NRL players.

As Big Mick said. McGuire/Pryce are quality they struggled internationally BUT Jennings, Lewis, Coote, Petero etc are proven NRL players around them

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't see how anyone could think our halves are premiership quality. They don't get the ball to our backs. Luke Walsh is a joke of a halfback. If it wasn't for our forward pack dominating most games (great field position) and the freakish ability of his teammates under the high ball he would be lucky to have 4 or 5 try assists to his name.

We need halves who can get the backs the ball nice and early with room to move. Our most dangerous attacking players (Gordon and Jennings) caused most of their destruction from the opposition team getting the ball. Whether it was from errors, intercepts or kick returns. It's pretty sad when our best players only get the ball when the opposition team give it to them.

franklin2323

Immortal
No one said we have Premiership winnings 1/2's. Almost everyone has said we have a big weakness in the 6 jersey which is stupid we let Graham go.

As for Walsh. At 1 of the members functions I asked ME straight out why sign Simmons and Purtell. The response was cause they are good under the high ball.

So granted the chase makes the bombs come off better but we fit a team around him to suit that role. Also he was and still is for a 1/2 inexperienced if a kicking role suits his natural game then so be it. Yes I want us to carve through teams not over them but I want a good team.

Give us a 5/8 that will pass and run it the backs will get it more and they can work well together

Kilkenny

Coach
I think our halves did a pretty decent job to get us into second position on the ladder in 2010 but we punched above our weight and the same combination may struggle to achieve the same in 2011 particularly considering what appears to be a horror draw. Still can't quite fathom the decision to allow Wade Graham to leave without a 'fight'. Wade was never going to be another Brad Fittler but few could ever be. We have to hope the likes of Harry Seika is the real deal. Harry is getting to the age now where we will see what he is made of and whether he truly is going to be a NRL quality player. I don't expect him to necessarily play in the NRL side in 2011 but should start to deliver at NYC level.

Fibroman

First Grade
No one said we have Premiership winnings 1/2's. Almost everyone has said we have a big weakness in the 6 jersey which is stupid we let Graham go.

As for Walsh. At 1 of the members functions I asked ME straight out why sign Simmons and Purtell. The response was cause they are good under the high ball.

So granted the chase makes the bombs come off better but we fit a team around him to suit that role. Also he was and still is for a 1/2 inexperienced if a kicking role suits his natural game then so be it. Yes I want us to carve through teams not over them but I want a good team.

Give us a 5/8 that will pass and run it the backs will get it more and they can work well together

Maybe Lewis to 5/8th and Smith to lock with Bateman/Paulo stepping up to the 2nd row?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think Lewis was something like 8th in the NRL for Try Assists and 4th for Line Break Assists in 2010. Remarkable for a Lock.

maple_69

Bench
Lets face it. He basically plays as a modern 5/8. Leave him at lock though, we need a 5/8 that has a passing game. Nothing else will get us to the next level.
For next year, hopefully it's Taumata.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe Lewis to 5/8th and Smith to lock with Bateman/Paulo stepping up to the 2nd row?

a couple of points I have with that:

1. We look skinny on backrowers. Especially with Waterhouse out for the first 4 weeks. I would see who stands up pre-season and who we recruit (Prob no one)

2. Lewis is better at ab lib attack. How would he go fulltime at 5/8.

Either way Lewis and Coote need to get more involved when we are on the attack

maple_69

Bench
Out of all the players with playmaking ability and plenty of potential through the team surely one of them can step up.
Walsh, Burns, Coote, Lewis, Paulo, Iosefa, Seluini, Taumata...

Latest posts