What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts potent: the modern day Phil Blake?

Yes, He is related to Amos Roberts but I think they are nothing alike as players.

But I was flicking through youtube and I found a series called "Magic Memories" which was obviously played on TV sometime in the mid 90's.

I saw a bit of footage of Phil Blake, Smallish in stature but super quick and had ball skills to boot, He was playing Halfback for Manly with a chip over the top not once but twice to score a try; Not that it's the same level but I've seen James Roberts do similar things in Toyota Cup and it may not be comparible but in the sense of charactertistics they look very much alike as players.

Not that Manly has much to relate to James Roberts at the moment but Phil also a Souths player that I've heard at times being a real legend of the club.

Phil being a halfback, I can definitely see Roberts being shifted there in the Near future or at least being a food for thought but with Nathan Merritt possibly cementing the fullback jumper and if not there is always Greg Inglis.

Not sure if Phil played anywhere else but he definitely looked like he could of killed it at fullback where Roberts's position is at the moment.

But I can see big similarities there and the hype around the kid is at large!.

Thoughts?

BranVan3000

Coach
Roberts is small because he hasn't grown into his frame yet. You can tell his body is still growing, only just turned 18 after all. I expect he has got at least 10kg of muscle he could comfortably put on and he won't look very small then

BranVan3000

Coach
Greg-Inglis-6116478.jpg

That's GI when he was Roberts age, before the Storm's conditioners got to work on him and his body fully developed.

And Roberts has really only been playing at a professional level for a year

Give the conditioners some time to really work on his physique, then we'll see what happens. I think he'll bulk up a lot in the off season

Thoughts - You certainly spin someshit. A lot infact.

Spin?, It's not a lie?. It's an observation which may be invalid belief to other(s).

But honestly Fair go, Topics are there to create discussion I try to do so.

I never put Roberts in Blake's class, Roberts has alot of work to do in his game but he has the skills of Phil definitely and can be as good as him down the track

As i said "Potent" I can see Phil Blake in James Roberts...Yes It's only watching from 3-4 plays of Phil and I am only young.

I stick by my view and I see ALOT of Blake in his game. Roberts can play fullback and five-eighth and definitely has attributes for Centre and maybe Halfback all positions of which Phil played. Every second try he scored in toyota cup was a slick bit of skill chipping over the top or using his speed. There height and weight differences not that It's an outstanding amount play not part in this argument or very little.

I do see Roberts as our halfback though and he won't want to be putting on that much weight if he ends up there. But That is what I see.

Noa

First Grade
Wonder where that leaves Roberts when Sam Tomkins comes to Souths.

And dont even bring up GI as a comparison, Roberts will be lucky to get over 6ft

BranVan3000

Coach
Wonder where that leaves Roberts when Sam Tomkins comes to Souths.

And dont even bring up GI as a comparison, Roberts will be lucky to get over 6ft
He'll never be closed to GI's stature for that reason, but like GI he can do a lot of bulking up in comparison to the weedy kid he was to start with

Mustard Keppers

Juniors
Phil Blake was my favourite player as a kid, killed me when he left the club!!

Don't remember Phil being as fast as Roberts but gee he was skillful.

Noa

First Grade
He'll never be closed to GI's stature for that reason, but like GI he can do a lot of bulking up in comparison to the weedy kid he was to start with

Sure but billy slater would a much better example to use and make more sence.

boo_boo

Juniors
HTR, dont get disallusioned by those who dont agree with your posts or your choice of subject matter because the last time i looked it was a forum for discussion of all kinds.
Phil Blake was a freak who came to Souths with a reputation of being a prolific try scorer & James Roberts has started of in exactly the same manner.
Other than that i cant see any resembalance with the two but i just hope that Roberts realises he has a future in the game & he stays at Souths.

Mattyoh

Juniors
The kid might not even be a first grader. I certainly haven't seen anything to suggest he will be.

Ttime

Juniors
Might not even be a first grader?
You don't just put a kid in who just turns 18 into a first grade team because you're trialling him.

He will be a 1st grader and he will be a house hold name... just give him time.

Galeforce

Bench
Phil Blake was known as a try freak before hit first grade with Manly at a young age. showed the talent however was also shown up for experience . He disappointed initially with Manly and Souths picked him and he really matured with Souths and showed his full potential with them.
Similar story with Merritt, there was not a lot of disappointment when Merritt left Souths to go Newtown and Sharks where he mostly played lower rades. He continued to be profilic point scorer with them mostly at fullback and was goalkicker.
Merritt even scored a points scoring record of 40 points for Newtown , 5 tries and 10 goals. He could not crack firstgrade and Sharks picked him up.
He played lower grade with Sharks , however i do recall one game for Sharks first grade where he scored 3 tries from fullback. When Souths resigned him , i remember posting that Merritt would score many tries running off Sutton.
So give Roberts time strenghthen and mature. I would like to see Roberts given time at half in lower grades to see if he can handle this role , however if this is not done at lower grades , less likely to be done in the top grade.
Hopefully we can keep him during this maturing process.

Latest posts