What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japan a threat to rugby, not NRL: Searle

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25116254-5012431,00.html

Japan a threat to rugby, not NRL: Searle

Brent Read and Dan Koch | February 28, 2009
Article from: The Australian

GOLD Coast managing director Michael Searle believes the NRL has nothing to fear from rugby union in France and Japan.

Instead, Searle yesterday turned the blowtorch on the Australian Rugby Union, suggesting its Super 14 clubs, and the competition they play in, could be decimated by the money on offer from overseas.

Searle also took aim at his fellow chief executives over the purported threat from Japan, claiming they needed to present a united front against attacks from overseas rugby union competitions. The issue will be discussed at a meeting of club bosses in Sydney next week, although Searle believes their time could be put to better use.

"It's not a threat to rugby league -- it's a massive threat to rugby union," Searle said.

"The Super 14 should be nervous about the northern hemisphere and Japanese rugby.

"What those competitions are doing to the Super 14 competition -- it's destroying it. The Super 14 will be a skeleton of itself the way it's going at the moment. The ARU knows that, the South African rugby union knows that and the New Zealand rugby union knows that. If you're a part of SANZAR at the moment, you would be terrified."

An ARU spokesman last night said the code was flattered Searle had taken an interest in the game, but defended its record in retaining its players.

"While we are never complacent about the offshore opportunities that are available to rugby union players, the level of remuneration and the conditions under which our players operate has ensured our retention rates are consistently strong," he said.

"Certainly the days of losing hefty numbers on an annual basis to a rival code have long since been consigned to history."

The by-play between the two codes comes at the end of a week in which Cronulla forward Fraser Anderson was sacked by the Sharks after announcing he planned to leave mid-season to play rugby union in Japan.

Brisbane fullback Karmichael Hunt has also been mentioned as a potential target, with suggestions he could be offered up to $1million to switch codes.

"Are we a little concerned about it?" Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said.

"We just can't get into a bidding war if you are talking about those sorts of figures."

At the same time, Wests Tigers halfback Benji Marshall has been the subject of sustained speculation over a potential move to Japan.

A planned meeting between Marshall's manager Martin Tauber and the Tigers was put on hold until next week, when the New Zealand international could make a decision on his future.

Against that backdrop, some chief executives have questioned the NRL's stance in refusing to endorse Marshall playing a guest stint in Japanese rugby union.

NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday reiterated that should Marshall agree to stay at the Tigers, he could not play rugby union.

Searle is becoming agitated by the publicity given to union raids. A year ago France was viewed as the NRL's greatest threat after its clubs poached Sonny Bill Williams and Luke Rooney. "We have given it far too much air timebecause it's going to help them in the short term. It's not about what's in the best interests of the game.

"We need our chief executives to think about what's good for the game, not what's best for them for the next six months. I can't even believe it is being contemplated by some chief executives."

Several NRL chief executives have suggested the potential for off-season stints in rugby union could bring new money into the game. Searle finds that laughable.

"Get them to work at McDonald's on Sunday -- that's new money," he said.

"It just angers me that people are prepared to consider supporting a rival code when they would rip the guts out of us in a heartbeat."

if only Searle was the NRL CEO

he always speaks positive about Rugby League and doesn't talk up AFL like our current onea

nadera78

Juniors
He doesn talk tgg down because he genuinely suports the game and doesn't have an ulterior motive behind every action he takes.

RL1908

Bench
The quote from the "ARU spokesman" that: "Certainly the days of losing hefty numbers on an annual basis to a rival code have long since been consigned to history."

Apart from 14 current Wallabies joining RL in 1909, I'd be willing to challenge the claim that RU lost "hefty numbers on an annual basis" to RL.

And while the ARU may be holding the majority of its wanted players, plenty of others are still going elsewhere. Across the Super 14 as a whole (which is what Searle was referring to) Sth Africa and NZ have suffered far greater losses than the ARU.

But the alarmist media here in NSW & QLD is only focused on the impact on the NRL, not RU, so Searle's comments are good to see to put some context into it. By far the majority of players going to northern hemisphere RU from Aust are RU players - and that is just from FOUR Super 14 teams, compared to the NRL's SIXTEEN clubs (15 if you want to not include the Warriors).

Searle's comments are good to hear, but there is still within them (in the Brisbane Times article below) an unresolved fundamental issue i.e. if you want to play in the NRL, expect to be flogged twice as hard for half the money that is on offer elsewhere.

Last edited:

RL1908

Bench
Titans boss warns defectors

Phil Lutton, Brisbane Times | February 27, 2009 - 12:08PM
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/conditions/titans-boss-warns-defectors/2009/02/27/1235237892139.html

Gold Coast Titans managing director Michael Searle has warned "generation Y" footballers they would be foolish to expect to waltz back into the NRL after get-rich-quick stints in rugby union.

A season after the NRL went into panic mode at the defection to French rugby of Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier, a new foe has appeared on the horizon, this time from Japan.

Despite an economy shrinking faster than the polar icecaps, Japan's rugby clubs appear to have deep enough warchests to mount serious raids on Australia's rugby league stocks.

Already former Shark Fraser Anderson has signed a two-year, $400,000-a-season deal with Kobe Steel. High-profile club Suntory, which counts former Wallaby and Queensland Reds coach Eddie Jones among its staff, is reputedly preparing for a strong play at Brisbane Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt.

While Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club would be powerless to retain Hunt in the face of a deal that could be worth close to $1 million, Searle was talking tough, saying defecting players would need to lie in the bed they made if their flirtation with rugby came to an end.

He said the Titans would be reticent to sign players returning from stints in Asian or continental rugby, fearing their skill levels and fitness would suffer dramatically in competitions he believes lack the intensity of NRL.

"It's not our job to feather the nest for Japanese rugby or French rugby. If a player wants to go, then go. It's his choice. Is he restricted to come back if he wants to? I don't believe so. But in saying that, these guys need to make a decision," Searle said.

"I wouldn't like to be trying to earn a dollar after coming back from French rugby. It wouldn't give this CEO any confidence that the player will be able to maintain the level of fitness that's required in the NRL.

"French rugby and Japanese rugby, it's not as though it has the levels of intensity the NRL has. There has to be question marks on when a player comes back whether he can still cut it."

Japanese rugby is a clear financial lure for young players but the jury is out on the quality of the football in which they will participate. Many Super 14 coaches regard the game in Japan as an inferior product, raising doubts as to how attractive league converts would be to domestic rugby franchises if they began rattling their tin among those circles.

"Our game is very loyal to those at stay loyal. Those that jump, that's their choice. They suffer the consequences," Searle said of the defectors.

Generation Y has been widely criticised for a perceived "I want it all and I want it now" attitude, a trait which Searle believes may be filtering through in rugby league circles.

"I think generation Y sometimes need to take a deep breath. They can get good money out of it, but is the lifestyle what they want? Is French rugby where you want to be at? Is Japanese rugby where you want to be at?" he said.

He has strongly backed NRL chief David Gallop's hardline stance on the issue, which raised its head after Benji Marshall flagged a desire to play Japanese rugby in the off-season prior to the signing of a new deal with the Wests Tigers.

Searle said he hoped the issue would not even be discussed between club chief executives.

"I support David Gallop. There's no off-season playing rugby. It's not even negotiable. It shouldn't even be debated. It can be debated in a public forum but privately, I hope it's not even discussed at a CEO level. It shouldn't be," he said.

"I'm sure there are some (chief executives) that would say there is a short-term benefit to their club. But sometimes you have to ignore the short term benefit and look at the long term benefit to the game. And there's no longterm benefit to letting players jump."

shiznit

Coach
watching the australian RL media moan about Japanese & European rugby poaching players really cracks me up.

NZ RU have been complaining about our players being poached by these guys for decades.

if you cant match them with money then the only way to fight it is with the prestige of staying signed to you. in NZ the only thing weve got is the All Black jersey. and the way the NZRFU are whoring it out to Hong Kong, Denver and now Tokyo its losing its luster pretty quickly.

the sad fact of the matter is SANZAR are happy that NRL players are being picked up by NH RU clubs. because it means there less likely to poach there own talent.

i find it quite ironic that with all these unions talking about signing NRL players lately the NZRFU announced the resigning of Luke McAlister from a european club. were just trying to hold onto our own products.

Twigg

Juniors
About time. An NRL story that is actually positive.

We need more people like Searle in our game.

Cloud9

I have to agree with Searle. Japan would only be a short term stint for NRL players.
It is a bigger lure for yawnion players where the same code is played. Anyone contemplating moving to Japan, I would guess will only stay for a year because of the cultural differences and homesickness.

gho

Juniors
Lol, The European Super League is a greater threat to the NRL than Japanese Rugby Union is to the Super 14. Playing for your country is worth a lot more (to most players) than these Northern Hemisphere competitions will pay for them. The french and japanese leagues will be places for union places to go retire earning a few bucks when there on there last legs.

RL1908

Bench
watching the australian RL media moan about Japanese & European rugby poaching players really cracks me up.

I don't think the RL media are moaning about this issue at all - some outlets are stirring the issue up, choosing to over-state the impact/significance of French and now Japanese RU upon the NRL.

Searle's pointing out that there have been, and will be, far more RU players from Aust (as well as NZ & SA) going to northern hemisphere RU than any overblown backpage story about RL players moving.

Not every RU player will get a Wallaby contract, and many know they are on the outer by their mid-20s. The Wallabies XV might be ok, but the depth of Super 14 clubs is being diminished.

Amidst the hysteria about Fraser Anderson, who has heard about RU's Super 14 depth being hit this week by the seemingly imminent loss of mid-20 year old Wallabies Mark Gerrard and Sam Norton Knight...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25116429-5015651,00.html
A naturally gifted wing/fullback, Gerrard has played 23 Tests for the Wallabies since making his international debut against Italy in 2005. But Gerrard, 26, was not required by new Wallabies coach Robbie Deans last year. Out of contract at the end of the year, Gerrard must now decide whether to remain in Australia or continue his career overseas.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/sam-exit-will-open-door/2009/02/24/1235237649307.html

Norton-Knight, 25, is yet to put pen to paper on the lucrative three-year contract that Cardiff have offered him.

Norton-Knight, who moved to the Waratahs from the Brumbies and has 48 Super rugby caps, is not worried that his move to Wales will all but end his Wallabies prospects. He has earned only two Test caps since his debut against Wales in 2007, when he played five-eighth. And after missing out on selection last year, he doesn't believe he is in the plans of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

Searle is right. The issue has been plaquing RU for the past few years, but few have been interested - simply because such stories about RU don't help sell newspapers or generate talk-back calls.

Gareth Davies (RU international for Wales & the Lions) in the Herald today...

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/it-is-more-than-a-game-in-the-southern-hemisphere/2009/02/27/1235237921031.html
I am no advocate, but it's maybe not too far away when the world's top players will all be playing in Europe - that is the power of the television buck.

Inga Tuigamala (former RU & RL) in the NZ Herald today...

"Actual depth of NZ rugby will soon be exposed"
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/best-of-sport-analysis/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502180&objectid=10558996

Throw in the player drain overseas and New Zealand rugby is taking a massive hit and it showed in the latest weekend of Super 14 rugby.

I've yet to see any bright new talent really stand out among New Zealand teams or those from Australia and South Africa.

So the media throws plenty of hysteria around the threat of a player drain to European & Japanese RU - and there are issues for RL to resolve - but there is a far greater impact about to hit on Aust RU's four Super 14 teams (& NZ & SA), than anything close to impacting upon the numbers/quality/depth of the 16 NRL clubs and their 16 Toyota Cup teams.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
I don't think the RL media are moaning about this issue at all - some outlets are stirring the issue up, choosing to over-state the impact/significance of French and now Japanese RU upon the NRL.

Searle's pointing out that there have been, and will be, far more RU players from Aust (as well as NZ & SA) going to northern hemisphere RU than any overblown backpage story about RL players moving.

Not every RU player will get a Wallaby contract, and many know they are on the outer by their mid-20s. The Wallabies XV might be ok, but the depth of Super 14 clubs is being diminished.

Amidst the hysteria about Fraser Anderson, who has heard about RU's Super 14 depth being hit this week by the seemingly imminent loss of mid-20 year old Wallabies Mark Gerrard and Sam Norton Knight...

Searle is right. The issue has been plaquing RU for the past few years, but few have been interested - simply because such stories about RU don't help sell newspapers or generate talk-back calls.

Gareth Davies (RU international for Wales & the Lions) in the Herald today...

Inga Tuigamala (former RU & RL) in the NZ Herald today...

So the media throws plenty of hysteria around the threat of a player drain to European & Japanese RU - and there are issues for RL to resolve - but there is a far greater impact about to hit on Aust RU's four Super 14 teams (& NZ & SA), than anything close to impacting upon the numbers/quality/depth of the 16 NRL clubs and their 16 Toyota Cup teams.
:lol:
about to hit?? as ive said... its been happening in NZRU for decades...

the NRL is seeing the tip of the iceberg.... it will have to get 10 times worse to the NRL to match whats happening here...

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
I have to agree with Searle. Japan would only be a short term stint for NRL players.
It is a bigger lure for yawnion players where the same code is played. Anyone contemplating moving to Japan, I would guess will only stay for a year because of the cultural differences and homesickness.
A fair few people go to Japan from Australia for work, and not all find themselves overcome by cultural differences and homesickness. I agree with the article, but why should NRL players be any different to ordinary Australians in that respect?

duck_dodgers

Juniors
Jap Rugby is no threat to the ARU .

Australian players are already there but only those whose international careers are over ... like George Gregan , Stephen Larkham , Nathan Grey , Toutai Kefu & Joe Roff ... because the selectors cannot pick someone to play for the wallabys who doesn't play for an Australian province .

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Jap Rugby is no threat to the ARU .

The ARU is in so much trouble that the Wannabes all had to take pay cuts recently. If you've got Jap or French clubs offering hundreds of thousands of $$ for a few seasons and the ARU cutting back, what do you think most of these guys are going to do?

duck_dodgers

Juniors
The ARU is in so much trouble that the Wannabes all had to take pay cuts recently. If you've got Jap or French clubs offering hundreds of thousands of $$ for a few seasons and the ARU cutting back, what do you think most of these guys are going to do?

wallaby jerseys are worth more than cash

the REAL threat to the nrl might be if this proposal gets up and running

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25116599-5002381,00.html

You can be sure that it won't suit Murdoch to dilute the playing strength of the Australian provinces and he'll want to ensure that the Jap team is a success from day 1 ( just like melbourne storm ) so where do you think he'll source the players from ...

at the end of the day the power of tv subscriptions will always win in today's world .

Latest posts