What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarrod Mullen has the World on his shoulders

Andrew Johns Retirement is one that we were probably expecting, but no doubt he has been the greatest icon and personality in the game, he will be a great asset to the footy show as he has the potential to keep the show sky high after the loss of sterlo, his god like talent will not be wasted in the game of rugby league.

Jarrod Mullen now has heaps of expectation on his shoulders, as a promising youngster, and has shown some johns magic in him, it was a real shame that andrew has retired so much on the early stage of Jarrod's Career, the knights had plenty of potential to be a force side, had the two had enough time to adapt to a powerful combination, Master & Apprentice like.

Mullen is a great player, but he is no superman, face the facts, this early after johns retirement, Mullen couldnt run the show on his own, as one of the most senior players left in the Knights Team, Danny Buderus really needs to pull something out soon, so the knights can keep some dignity, as a team that isnt a one man band, as been talked about.

I agree that newcastle will need time to adapt to the game after joey, that has been for 13 glorious years.

This is a Sad Time For Rugby League, Especially for newcastle, i wish them luck for the long road without the Maestro.

but i believe in Jarrod Mullen To Come Up With The Goods, and if he has the courage to be a one team man, i believe he can potentially go all the way, and be the andrew johns of the modern era, even tho no one can replace the original joey.

Good Luck Newcastle

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Well said mate. Jarrod really does have an enormous hole to fill now. I do share your optimism in the boy too. He has what it takes to be a great player. With Bedsey's and other senior players help I can see him guiding us to a top 8 finish at the end of the year, proving once and for all that we're no longer a one man team. Unless that new one man turns out to be young Jarrod.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
He'll be fine, I have no doubt about that. Although his last few games have been less than memorable, he's primed to have a good one in the not too distant future. He has what it takes and with the help of Bedsy, he'll be right.

Yosh

Coach
Hmmm.... One of my predictions might come true, even though not the way that I imagined.

General Knight

Juniors
My only concern for Jarrod is the amount of pressure that will be placed on him. Im abit worried that if the Knights don't perform many poeple will start to blame Mullen(which I hope never happens) for the team's performances. However as others have said the other senior players and everyone in the team for that matter must rise and help the young fella. Afterall it is a team sport.

Yosh

Coach
If I get a girlfriend then thats 2 that can come true. I still hold hope that Joey will play the last game of Origin by some freak of nature....

the ref

Juniors
Although it is VERY SAD that Joey has had to retire, it is probably a blessing in disguise for Jarrod Mullen. Jarrod will now be able to take control and run the show the way he likes, not waiting for Joey or anyone else to take control.
There maybe some first up teething problems but he is the man for the job.
He is one of the next crop of superstars in our game so lets give him the chance to lead us into life after Joey.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
the ref said:
Although it is VERY SAD that Joey has had to retire, it is probably a blessing in disguise for Jarrod Mullen. Jarrod will now be able to take control and run the show the way he likes, not waiting for Joey or anyone else to take control.
There maybe some first up teething problems but he is the man for the job.
He is one of the next crop of superstars in our game so lets give him the chance to lead us into life after Joey.

While that might be true, it isn't such a good idea to start expecting any huge miracles from him. Everyone knows he's talented enough, but now everyone is going to be watching him extra carefully; and if things don't work people will crucify him. He's played well without Joey before and he's going to do it again only this time...it won't be as simple.

perverse

Referee
it will be a great test of his character.. will the young gun step up and perform or go missing?

if he steps up then he could be fantastic in years to come.. if not he could become as lacklustre as tim smith has been.

potential is a funny thing.. i hope jarrod realises his and takes the bull by the horns.

keeney

First Grade
I'm really worried, Mullen had the perfect way to ease into becoming sole playmaker in this team, and thats been slashed.

There has been a litany of talented young halves who have looked like world beaters in their first year, but have failed since.

Tim Smith
Michael Witt (although he's getting better)
Brett Firman
Matthew Head

Benji is the only one I can think of to come through the hype completely and display the class everyone knew he had.