What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarrod swears he's the right man for the job - RLW

northey

First Grade
from the current issue of RLW (round 25) also RLW is out tomorrow

A swearing Newcastle halfback dominated the league world last week... and now his apprentice is having a turn.
Knights rookie Jarrod Mullen has promised to continue the yelling, ranting and screaming episodes that have landed his frustrated skipper Andrew Johns with a two-match suspension.
But rather than earn the ire of match officals, 19-year-old Mullen says he'll be saving his biggest spray for high-profile team-mates Danny Buderus, Steve Simpson and Matt Gidley.
"Before our game against North Queensland, a few of the senior guys approached me and said to make sure i gave it to them on the field... bossed them around and told them what to do," Mullen reveals.
"And that's definitley an area I've struggled with in the past. I guess, being a rookie and a fairly shy bloke, it's not easy screaming out at internationals like Simmo and Bedsy... telling them to get up off the line in defence and stuff like that.
"But that's something Joey does really well and if we want to win these games whe he's out, then me yelling at the boys is a necessity."
Mullen is the hero of the Hunter this week, having recieved a staggering 12 pain-killing injections as he led Newcastle to a stirring win against the Cowboys.
The 2005 Australian Schoolboy helped break the Knights' two-year lsoing streak without their mercurial skipper... and desperate to keep the run going against Penrith at home this Saturday night.
He also laughed off suggestions the pain-killing needles were performance-enhancing - "you just do what you need to and get out there" - and said his sternum injury was recovering quickly.

astrogirl

First Grade
northey said:
"Before our game against North Queensland, a few of the senior guys approached me and said to make sure i gave it to them on the field... bossed them around and told them what to do," Mullen reveals.
"And that's definitley an area I've struggled with in the past. I guess, being a rookie and a fairly shy bloke, it's not easy screaming out at internationals like Simmo and Bedsy... telling them to get up off the line in defence and stuff like that.
"But that's something Joey does really well and if we want to win these games whe he's out, then me yelling at the boys is a necessity."
I love it. Go Jarrod!!! :crazy:

CJKnight

Juniors
He is almost a combination of both Joey's and Fittler's good points. Has a great running game and can step quite nicely off that left foot. Plus he has very nice kicking and passing games.

The future #6 or #7 of the club too be sure. Plus I think he will develop in leaps and bounds under Smith who is renowned for his junior-coaching ability. That is why Tighe WILL be in the starting 13 next year.

General Knight

Juniors
Sir Knight82 said:
With anti-tampering out the window sign the kid to a 10 year deal.

Future of the club to be sure.

I know the anti-tampering rule is gone but isnt there some sort of rule that states players arent allowed to sign/negotiate new contracts with other clubs unless their current contracts are about to end in the current year?

bluesbreaker

Bench
So, with Mullen stating his claim for the halfback position post-Johns, where does this leave young Luke Walsh?

I seem to recall one of the smart junior watchers (Antonius, Roopy) saying something about not seeing Mullen as a genuine organizing halfback, more of a running 5/8th. Is this still the case? Is the organizing role better suited to Walsh?

CJKnight

Juniors
Mullen could pretty much walk right into the halves combination next year if Joey retires IMO. Because of his fair defence and great running game I think he would shine in the 5/8 role more so than the "organizational" halfback. But if this is the case we will need to halfback that he can form a healthy combination with.

Having said that: Mullen has improved as a "field general" IMO. So therefore he could play in the #7 just as easily. He now "bosses" the team around and works well as both First and Second receiver roles.

Boxer

Juniors
I haven't seen Luke Walsh lately, but when he was playing Jersey Flegg he was the main organizer. I know he was promoted to PL but after a couple of games he disappeared. Is he injured?
It was common to see him organizing the troops for an attack. It was also common to see it result in points for the side.
He and Jarrod Mullen play well together.

Jedda

Juniors
Luke Walsh is currently racing time to return from injury to play in the finals series. Hopefully having the Bye last weekend has brought him enough time to recover and we see a fully fit Flegg team this weekend with Crusade Hero Tim Natusch also fit to play.

Master Vippo

Juniors
There was a back-page article in the Herald, Sterling saying how good Mullen is. headline-He is the next Joey

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I have never seen walsh play, so I can;t have an opinion on him. But the way mullen played last week and the way he steered the team around, he has shown me that he has the potential to be a quality halfback. Also the way the 5/8's aren't playing the same role as 5 or 6 years ago, his ability may be wasted there.

CJKnight

Juniors
My personal preference would be to play Mullen at Halfback in the #7 jersey. I can see Smith making him into a Tim Smith type player.

Big Tim

First Grade
Walsh is a genuine Half where Mullen has the natural ability to do both.

When Walsh and Mullen play together Walsh does most of the organising, but they seem to share it well and beyond that they have played together alot so they both know what the other is thinking.

CJKnight

Juniors
It might be a couple of season yet to "break-in" Walsh won't it? Surely we won't just put him there after Joey's retirement without a breaking-in season? We don't even know how he will cope.

RABK

Referee
No way walsh could play first grade yet, he weighs about 75kgs and would get steam rolled.

Big Tim

First Grade
I never said Walsh could play FG now, I am talking 2008 when Joey has retired (or gone to England)

WTF is a break-in season???

Did Joey have a break-in season??
Did Bedsy have a break-in season??
Did Simmo have a break-in season??

Whatever management decides to do with Walsh (having his debut next year or wait till the first game of 08) these are our halves of the future and will serve this club well.

aqua_duck

Coach
Maybe an idea for Walsh is to give him a year in the ESL on loan, abit like what SMith did with Feleti Mateo from the eels had last year and Michael DObson from the raiders had this year. It would give him a chance to play week in week out with top players, also the ESL is a more physical and rugged league because of the often heavy conditions in the northern hemisphere, so that'd suit him well for the NRL, but the reason why its a good idea is because ESL is a superior competition to PL but not quite as good as NRL so the jump to 1st grade would be easier. I think depth in the lower grades would suffer but it'd serve Luke's development well.

antonius

Coach
I think you'll see Walsh in Premier league next year (He's been there a little this year) and then in 2008 when Joey goes he'll step up, weather that means Mullen will stay at 6 and Walsh straight into 7 I'm not sure. We also have Dureau who will figure there also. Next season if sanity prevaols I think we'll see Mullen partnering Johns, Walsh may get a stint if Johns is injured depends on how much work Walsh puts in in the off season, and how he handles himself in premmy league. He has played well in a couple of games there this year. Walsh is a genuine 7. Mullen and he combine well together.

Latest posts