What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarrys Hayne

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
they say good players know when to come in and when to stay away, Gaz does it and i noticed Jarryd did it in the replay he came off his wing and created a massive gap.. but pumped the bloke good hit

thats gold

Stagger eel

Staff member
without knowing too much about tackling techniques I still see it as a bit of a concern.

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
nah its a pretty good technique.

i play union and im a forward so i need to know how to tackle, the first thing they teach you is you tackle with the muscle on your neck not with your shoulder, Jarryds first hit against the warriors was a lil scary cos he could have easily popped his shoulder but he didnt. Against the tigers his hit on McDonnel or whatever his name is was almost perfect, he hit him the the shoulder but mostly with the muscle above his shoulderblade, so yes Jarryd has good technique.

Stagger eel

Staff member
NT_Eelsfan said:
nah its a pretty good technique.

i play union and im a forward so i need to know how to tackle, the first thing they teach you is you tackle with the muscle on your neck not with your shoulder, Jarryds first hit against the warriors was a lil scary cos he could have easily popped his shoulder but he didnt. Against the tigers his hit on McDonnel or whatever his name is was almost perfect, he hit him the the shoulder but mostly with the muscle above his shoulderblade, so yes Jarryd has good technique.

and as a layman that's exactly what I'm worried about...

Hurriflatch

Referee
you can get injured doing anything I remember a while ago a Wests player (when they were still the magpies) from memory brushing his teeth and somehow breaking his arm.

then Kidwell was playing with his kid and did his knee and is out for the year.

but getting to more relevent topics while there is a chance Hayne could do some damage his technique just looks like it's a lot safer then SBW or Benji both of whom have had major shoulder problems.

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
yeah i think alot of it has to do with the fact that Jarryd doesnt lead with his shoulder in a tackle where SBW does, Sonny Bill is always looking for a big hit whereas Jarryd is just looking to tackle the man..

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
SBW has the worst technique, he just drops the shoulder in and that it, goes side on and risks damage, hayne drops the shoulder while still being face to face with the player, and the most important thing, hayne completes the tackle unlike SBW

caylo

Bench
hindmarsh4pm said:
SBW has the worst technique, he just drops the shoulder in and that it, goes side on and risks damage, hayne drops the shoulder while still being face to face with the player, and the most important thing, hayne completes the tackle unlike SBW

Have to disagree a little, SBW does lower his shoulder and bring it in a forward/up-wards motion when hitting, increasing the time of impact, and thus spreading the force (also means he uses his lower body, and thus greater power in the hit) over a larger period. It also means he has to lead with the shoulder, which is why it looks more damaging to him. Benji has the worst tackling technique, with the most brittle shoulders in the NRL. Hayne does hit more straight on, which means he is going to be less likely to do his shoulder, but he could break a rib doing it. He could break a leg making a normal tackle. He could do his ACL, or PCL stepping, or accelerating. He could pull a hamstring muscle. Like said, he could fall over in the bathroom brushing his teeth.