What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Clark.

boo_boo

Juniors
Having seen Jason come through the grades at the Wombats & progress through the U / 20's into the NRL it amazes me the amount of bagging this bloke cops.
He is still learning his trade & it's a credit to him that he has earned an NRL contract at such an early stage in his career.
I have no doubt's that Souths will be the winners when Jason becomes the footballer we all know he will be.

CCJames

Juniors
When people say he does not deserve his first grade spot, i believe they are only talking about this year, I think everyone realises he is a future first grader but he is not up to it at the moment, a year in a lower grade actually helps some players.. You can not tell me you would keep him in the team when the proven first graders are all injury free eg, Asotasi, Tyrell, Crocker?

No, you wouldn't keep him in the team at the expense of Asotasi or Crocker, but I'm glad he is in the squad and I'm also happy that he has been given a crack whilst we have had such a high injury tally. It is good for these young blokes to have some exposure to first grade every now and then. It lets them know exactly where they are at and what they need to focus on to improve.

Under 20's is giving some of these young blokes supreme false confidence imo and sometimes they need to just be dropped into the rigours of first grade to bring them back to earth.

Clark can now go back to the Bears for the rest of the year (unless we have more injury trouble) and focus on what he needs to learn to make it as a first grader.

Zigwaa

Bench
He is no where near first grade ready at the moment. I bag him becuase he makes fundamental errors that shouldn't be made in the top grade, and he makes a lot of them.

I think he's not coping with the speed of first grade.

I'd hope for his sake he can improve and one day be ready and play well. But at the moment he doesn't belong there full stop.

The Salary Cap ensures that your squad of 25 is made up of a number of players at various stages of their career. It would be wonderful to have a side full of blokes who were all experienced first graders and could fill in at a pinch, but the fact of the matter is, the cap forces you to have times where you need to play young blokes before they are ready.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, it would be nice for Clark to spend 12 - 18 months in Reggies before being blooded, but given the number of Forwards who were injured in the last 8 rounds in our squad, there was quite simply no-one else. You can't argue the merits of his selection when it was either him or no-one. We all agree he is not up to first grade standard, but he was called on through necessity and although he played poorly, we will reap the benefits of his early blooding later in the piece.

Look at Pettybourne when he first hit grade. Everyone could see the promise in him, but he was green as grass for the first 12 months. Only in the last little bit of last year did he show that he had taken the step up.

Zigwaa

Bench
Phil Gould made a good observation on him when he dropped the ball (one of many times) against the titans I think. He said he runs lines for the pass he wants and not the pass he gets and therefore drops a lot.

DC_fan

Coach
He is still young and he may get better with age and further experience. But right now he is just average.

Two weeks ago when selected on the bench for the Canberra game he didn't get a run. When Asotasi and Crocker return from injury then he will be dropped.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
anyone who is bagging macpherson this year is brain dead. not a little bit, but completely. he has been outstanding is defence and he's bent the line in attack. what more could you ask of the bloke?

Fein

First Grade
anyone who is bagging macpherson this year is brain dead. not a little bit, but completely. he has been outstanding is defence and he's bent the line in attack. what more could you ask of the bloke?

Totally agree.

If he can cut the dropped ball out of his game (and he is getting better at that) he could well be the perfect replacement for Luke Stuart when he chooses to retire.

As for Clarke, he bleeds Red and Green like MacPherson and for once I agree with Boo Boo, he's young and still very green and will get better with the experience.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Totally agree.

If he can cut the dropped ball out of his game (and he is getting better at that) he could well be the perfect replacement for Luke Stuart when he chooses to retire.

As for Clarke, he bleeds Red and Green like MacPherson and for once I agree with Boo Boo, he's young and still very green and will get better with the experience.

yeh... but we've seen plenty of players with enormous potential destroyed by being promoted to early. i think he needs to be dropped. has has done nothing all year, and john lang shouldn't put up with that

johnkelley

Juniors

I agree too, he's been given a job to do and is doing it very, very well.

Latest posts