What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles to Roosters?

Red Bear

Referee
Ryles is the kind of player the chooks need IMO, their pack bar Myles looks pretty poor next season, a few of their younger forwards can make decent metres but can only last about 10-15 minutes.

You get a good prop or 2 making yard - Pearce, Anasta and Carney have space to move and create - backline flows from there.

You get the forwards right before the backline.

ando4285

Juniors
i dunno if the roosters really need ryles when they have myles paea kennedy masoe frank paul and a couple of the other young blokes in the 20's as well as deeb and mahjouli trotting round for newtown

drake

First Grade
Thats the key.

On huge coin he is not what the roosters need. I'd prefer to spend $500K+ on Hayne in 2011 than $400K on Ryles.

Hard running props can be had for $200-300K mark (weyman, poore, hannant etc).

Problem with Politis is he doesn't like making cheap pick ups.
After the nightmare years of the "Super Six" I'd never want to be front loading anyone.
$500k for one player is too much under the salary cap.

Pazza

First Grade
You don't spend big money on props

Is this some sort of foul joke????

Prop is the most important position on the field, without good props your team would go no where. Just look at the difference Wiki and Price made to the warriors, they were both big $$$ signings and without them the warriors are nothing. Also Hannant at the dogs, Poore next year at the eels. Sometimes you need to splash some big money out, and a top quality Prop, IMO, is a damn good purchase!

dragon_around

Juniors
Ryles would be one of the most dominating forwards, until a stupid penalty or offload to nobody would pop up. And he'd be good for a few of those per game, like clockwork. The refs all hated him (I don't know why), he'd sneeze and be sent from the field.

But the reason dragons fans would like him back, is simply because if Bennett could get his errors and penalty count down he'd be great.

Good signing if true for the Roosters.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It seems after spending big on O'meley and MAson the Roosters have learnt nothing!

Got to love the fireyness of the French!
''It's pathetic. For the first time in four years, I am ashamed. I announced this evening in the locker room that all the players were free to go,'' Gausch told French newspaper L'Independant.

King and Ryles have done nothing in SL, no wonder they want to move back. It's surprising that the big name players always seem to flop in ESL yet the run of the mill players seem to excel.

watatank

Coach
i dunno if the roosters really need ryles when they have myles paea kennedy masoe frank paul and a couple of the other young blokes in the 20's as well as deeb and mahjouli trotting round for newtown

The best/most experienced player of that lot is a converted backrower. :?

Nightward

Juniors
>It's surprising that the big name players always seem to flop in ESL yet the run of the mill players seem to excel.

Not really.

The big name players cruise on over and think they can rest on their laurels.

The lesser lights apply the same dedication to the ESL as they do to the NRL, and consequently do better than their underperforming compatriots.

Last edited:

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Ryles will be 31 next year. IMO he may not be worth signing. And also he said he would never play against Saints, and that's why he went to France instead of going to the Knights where he was tipped to go. I doubt he will return to NRL.

Lambretta

First Grade
Ryles will be 31 next year. IMO he may not be worth signing. And also he said he would never play against Saints, and that's why he went to France instead of going to the Knights where he was tipped to go. I doubt he will return to NRL.

He said that to make you lot feel better about him leaving.
He found it wasnt so hard when he had to play against St Helens. ;-)

But yeah, at 31, he's starting to be on borrowed time.

They say Props improve with age, but there are limits to that and 31 is getting close.

lolesi

First Grade
31 is nothing, if he comes back he will be fine, age wont be an issue at all.

Suspension and being a legend at giving away penalties will be his biggest issue.

ando4285

Juniors
The best/most experienced player of that lot is a converted backrower. :?

yeah i agree but myles is never gonna b a back rower he'll be a hard workin prop and we really just need to develop the young guys we've got and with anasta goin into the pack that will add some experience and i think jwh will end up up front

nyx

Juniors
And also he said he would never play against Saints, and that's why he went to France instead of going to the Knights where he was tipped to go. I doubt he will return to NRL.
John Farnham also said he wouldn't make a comeback

fred92

Juniors
The whole teams results depend on the performance of the front row. Myles, Ryles, Kennedy and J.W.H. have the stamina to compete strongly for long periods, enabling the impact forwards to have more rests.our forwards this year were spent soon after half time. I applaud Smith for addressing this shortcoming so quickly..

Iafeta

Referee
Good player. His career IMO got "Robert Finched", but aside from the usual refereeing benevolence towards him he was a good go forward man with a nice offloading ability. Would fit in well for the Roosters, he's the type of player Smith could build a young team around.

WireMan

Bench
I doubt King is going anywhere, he has just about settled over here and now has the coaching to make him a success. Oh and done nothing? He dissapointed at the start because of his rep (over-hyped, over-here kinda thing) but three tries in the semi and a cup winners medal is rather nice. :)

Not spending on a prop? We got Morley on big bucks and it hasn't done us any harm. Some big props will supply the platform for Carney and Pearce to perform. Well kick it into the corner for your winger to catch anyway. ;-)

Latest posts