What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
De Belin is on 550k according to court records. So the NRL should be paying De Belin's salary plus giving the Dragons a 550k credit on our cap for this season. It is the NRL who have stood him down and so they must compensate accordingly.

What is our CEO doing about this?

Precisely.
WTF is our weak-knee CEO saying as yet?
Absolutely Nothing!
Might have been a good player but absolutely p!ss weak when it comes to standing up for his player or club.
It should have been a pre-meditated speach, regardless of the outcome.
Our one great club has bent over and taken it ...............
Where the fudge is the major shareholder, Gordon on this?
He should be kicking A-rse, standing up for the club, cause no one else will.
Pathectic!

Gardenia

Juniors
Nah...too much work. Just cop it on the chin. The fans will keep turning up.
Precisely.
WTF is our weak-knee CEO saying as yet?
Absolutely Nothing!
Might have been a good player but absolutely p!ss weak when it comes to standing up for his player or club.
It should have been a pre-meditated speach, regardless of the outcome.
Our one great club has bent over and taken it ...............
Where the fudge is the major shareholder, Gordon on this?
He should be kicking A-rse, standing up for the club, cause no one else will.
Pathectic!

Yes he should - the first call was about his welfare that's very nice of him but what about some fairness like gee I don't know - every club is allowed the same amount of money to spend on players that are actually playing this year .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I didn’t realise charges were different, and would have thought this would be bleeding obvious by my question.

Remember, a question mark means uncertainty.

Once again, you struggle with the concepts of comprehension and inference.
Not at all.

It’s not a case of the charges being different”..

One player has been cleared of his charges, the other is still facing his..

Clearly you weren’t aware of the facts and are now trying to dig up..

Not sure how you didn’t know though. Both cases have been all over the news and this website..

Sowwow

Juniors
In fairness, I think he was more arguing about the dispensation for the salary cap due to having a player stood down..

His post wasn’t about the rape charges..
I get that, but there’s no fairness in this, so why start attacking a ceo

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I get that, but there’s no fairness in this, so why start attacking a ceo
In the case of standing down a player under the no fault rule, this is done to benefit the image of the game under the direction of the ruling body.

Due to this, there should be an appropriate level of dispensation from the salary cap for the club that is impacted by the player’s actions.

If dispensation offered does not match the actual impact to the club, the club should fight it.

All of that being said, as far as I can see from the reports available at the moment, the $100k appears to be scuttlebutt and not actually confirmed anywhere official..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Mate, it is a completely separate argument to the rape charges.

I’ve been very vocal in my opinions on that part of it (I’m in your court on there)

However what we are talking about now is the impact of the stand down rule (which I also agree with the concept).

But.. If a player is removed under this rule, the club should be rightly allowed to fill that gap as the issue is with the NRL and the player, the club is caught in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragons 09

Juniors
Hope for all concerned that the criminal matter can be concluded as quickly as practically possible and the alleged victim and accused get the appropriate support they require in what is obviously difficult times for both them and those close to them.

Keep your shit together guys, don't let the thread resemble the emotional soap box and bush lawyer rants synonymous with fakebook.....we're better than that!

tumbidragon

First Grade
No, neither innocent nor guilty. He should stand accused until otherwise.
And he is stood as the accused as the media and NRL has let the nation know... Doesn't mean he shouldn't be presumed innocent until proven otherwise... Setting a dangerous precedent there.

Sowwow

Juniors
And he is stood as the accused as the media and NRL has let the nation know... Doesn't mean he shouldn't be presumed innocent until proven otherwise... Setting a dangerous precedent there.
What if he was allowed to play, does that mean he’s not guilty? There’s legitimate cases for both sides. My mind changes every day

tumbidragon

First Grade
What if he was allowed to play, does that mean he’s not guilty?
Of coarse not, what a stupid question... He should have the presumption of innocence under the law until proven otherwise! And also, it's not up to Jack to prove his innocence. It's up to the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt he's guilty.
Once again, this has nothing to do with OKB's post or the heart of this thread though.

Gareth67

First Grade
There are no winners in any of this and I am sure that quite a few people would had been expecting this very decision. Unfortunate for Jack , the club and fans . I also agree with others that the NRL should had been far more generous to the Dragons in regards to compensation for his ‘ stand - down ‘ .

Comparing the miserly $100,000 to South Sydney’s $ 1million plus is really showing that there are 2 tiers in the league - they who are smiled upon by NRL Headquarters and those who are frowned upon , the lesser clubs . As said , a sad day for all concerned .

Last edited:

Sowwow

Juniors
Of coarse not, what a stupid question... He should have the presumption of innocence under the law until proven otherwise! And also, it's not up to Jack to prove his innocence. It's up to the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt he's guilty.
Once again, this has nothing to do with OKB's post or the heart of this thread though.
Great to see Dylan Walker back

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Great to see Dylan Walker back
You’ve had plenty of folk try and explain it to you...

If you don’t get it by now, it’s your issue, nobody else’s..

But just be aware you’re entering a Jimmy_G level of mis-comprehension..

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin's career in the balance after NRL victory in federal court case
Dragons Den
r0_0_2516_1710_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LIMBO: Jack De Belin's indefinite stand-down remains in place after his federal court challenge of the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy failed on Friday. Picture: AAP
DRAGONS lock Jack de Belin's rugby league career hangs in the balance after his federal court action against the NRL ended in defeat on Friday.

In a case that had huge implications for the game and de Belin, Justice Melissa Perry ruled in the NRL's favour, with costs, saying the governing body had successfully "established a clear and present danger to their legitimate interests."

The 28-year-old was stood down by the NRL in February after he was charged with aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman in a Wollongong apartment in December.

He pleaded not guilty but became one of the first players sanctioned under the NRL's new no-fault stand-down policy that stipulates players facing serious charges - carrying 11 years imprisonment or more - can not play until their court process has concluded.

De Belin was left gutted by the decision that sees him facing up to two years on the sidelines until the conclusion of his criminal case, a stint out of the game that could spell the end of his career.

"I am very disappointed by the decision," de Belin said in a statement

"I have been stood down from my employment as a professional rugby league player because an allegation has been made against me. I am innocent and I will continue to vigorously defend the single charge made against me.

"Professional rugby league careers are short-lived. I have worked hard to build my career and I have now been stood down at the height of it, without any certainty around the timeframe to return.

"I am told it could be well into next year. This is very difficult for me, and also my family, who I would like to sincerely thank, along with my friends, teammates and staff at the Dragons.

"Their support has been, and will continue to be, greatly appreciated as I seek to find my way forward."

It was a face-saving victory for the game, in particular ARLC chairman Peter Beattie, with the no-fault stand-down policy to remain in place with the backing of the verdict.

"This is not a time for celebration, we'd have preferred not to have been in court on this matter," Beattie said.

"What the commission did with the NRL executive was act in the best interests of the game. Our job is to protect the game which is why the no-fault rule came in.

"If Jack de Belin is found innocent by the courts then he will be welcomed back into the game. This is about protecting the game."

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg re-iterated that the policy makes no judgement on de Belin's criminal case.

"We've said from the start, we make no judgement whatsoever of anyone's guilt or innocence, this is a rule that protects the brand and reputation of the game," Greenberg said.

"We're dealing with people's livelihoods here and my first phone call today was to the chief executive of the Dragons [Brian Johnston] to ultimately ensure the player had the right support systems around him. That will be an ongoing exercise."

The policy was applauded in some quarters and criticised in others, with the Rugby League Players Association condemning the move and stating it undermines the legal presumption of innocence.

"It's a disappointing verdict not only for Jack but all our members, in fact all professional athletes in this country," RLPA CEO Ian Prendergast said.

"We've maintained our opposition to the policy throughout based on our belief that it goes outside of what we've agreed to under the collective bargaining agreement in terms of the process followed by the NRL and the penalties it effectively imposes.

"I think practically there was a solution there in terms of getting close to Jack and his representatives around him stepping away from a period of time and focusing on what was important to him in terms of the criminal process and his family.

"However, clearly there was a campaign run to introduce this policy and we felt like we should have been, not only included in that process, but given the opportunity to agree.

"We'll now go away and consider the collective issues on behalf of our members including issuing a dispute under the CBA."

De Belin will remain stood down on full pay while his sexual assault case plays out, with his next court date coming on May 29 in Wollongong.

The Dragons were awaiting the outcome of the case before seeking salary cap relief from the NRL but will now accelerate that process following Friday's verdict.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...alance-after-defeat-in-federal-court/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_darkscreen2.jpeg

DRAGONS

Dragons statement: Jack de Belin
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 17 May 2019, 04:55 PM

The Federal Court have today ruled in favour of the Australian Rugby League Commission following St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin's attempted injunction against the governing body's 'no fault' stand down rule.

The decision means that de Belin is ineligible to play in the NRL for the Dragons until a decision on his criminal matter is finalised; the timeframe of which is uncertain.

"I am very disappointed by the decision," de Belin said. "I have been stood down from my employment as a professional rugby league player because an allegation has been made against me.

"I am innocent and I will continue to vigorously defend the single charge made against me.

"Professional rugby league careers are short lived, I have worked hard to build my career and I have now been stood down at the height of it, without any certainty around the timeframe to return. I am told it could be well into next year.

"This is very difficult for me, and also my family, who I would like to sincerely thank, along with my friends, teammates and staff at the Dragons. Their support has been, and will continue to be, greatly appreciated as I seek to find my way forward."

De Belin will make no further comment on the matter and his legal team will consider the option of seeking leave to appeal.

Dragons Chief Executive Brian Johnston said the club was extremely concerned for Jack's welfare.

"The public discussion and pressure around this circumstance and Jack personally has been extreme," Johnston said. "It has been both unfortunate and unnecessary that Jack has been the focus for a number of issues across the game.

"Jack's welfare has always been, and will continue to be, our number one priority.

"We will continue to provide Jack and his family with the all necessary support they require and consider our options with respect to any potential replacement in the squad.

"We also greatly appreciate the support that we as a club have received from our partners, members and fans throughout this process."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/17/dragons-statement-jack-de-belin/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts