What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzzaRedV

Juniors
Hi guys,

Was just wondering the expected length of the JDB V NRL court case. How long will it go for?

In the press conference, Mary said he will pick JDB if he wins and is good to go.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor to ‘absolutely’ pick Jack de Belin if Dragons star has ban overturned
Dragons
  • April 14, 2019 7:45pm
  • Source: AAP
d4f8e1c32740e4a047b9c776bd1e8a1d

Jack de Belin’s Federal Court case resumes on Monday.Source: AAP
St George Illawarra could be ready to play Jack de Belin as soon as Saturday night against Manly if he wins a Federal Court challenge against his NRL ban this week.
De Belin’s case against the league will return to court on Monday for a three- day trial, which will determine the legality of the NRL’s no-fault policy.

The NSW State of Origin lock hasn’t run out for the Dragons since being charged with sexual assault in December, after being stood down from playing by the league for the duration of his criminal case.

726657_640x360_large_20190414182137.jpg

Pereira's freak play

0:39
Round 5
De Belin has vehemently denied the criminal charge, having entered a plea of not guilty.

The 28-year-old’s challenge against the league is being taken independent of the Dragons, but St George Illawarra officials will keep a close eye on proceedings.

a622ff5272504ee26bf22bb3a5a88582

Jack de Belin is still training with the Dragons. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
“What I hope happens is that he does win,” Dragons coach Paul McGregor said.

“I don’t know too much other than you (reporters).

“Will I pick Jack, if he is mentally and physically right? Absolutely.”

Pressed further on whether de Belin had shown enough in training to be picked, McGregor said: “If we play a possible and probables at training when firsts play reserve grade, then yes, he’s ready.”

It comes ahead of a busy week for the lock, whose criminal matter is due back in Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday for mention. He is not required to appear there.

726651_640x360_large_20190414172328.jpg

Hunt picks Bulldogs pocket

0:53
The Dragons had previously not picked de Belin in the pre-season, missing a trial against Newcastle through illness before not being named for the Charity Shield on welfare grounds before the NRL ban was announced.

However his potential return would be a massive boost for a resurgent side already missing fellow middle player Korbin Sims with a broken arm.

De Belin himself is also expected to be present in the Federal Court on Monday, in what shapes as the first significant test of the league’s powers by a player since Terry Hill took on the draft system in 1991.

65d83b4e85939a1d380dd86f91279c1b

Jack de Belin is still training with the Dragons. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
At the time of the policy’s announcement, ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie claimed the new rules would give the game the power it required to fix its cultural issues.

Realistically, the fate of this week’s trial could determine Beattie’s future in the game given he has previously admitted his job is on the line after championing the policy.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and the game’s commercial boss Andrew Abdo have already provided written affidavits ahead of this week’s hearing.

The challenge could also have repercussions at both Manly and Penrith, where Dylan Walker and Tyrone May have too been stood down under the same no-fault policy.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/a375f85893847da7912e57bc8c673697

getsmarty

Immortal
No wait needed on stood down Jack de Belin
Dragons Den
r0_0_4000_2667_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jack De Belin at Dragons training last week. Picture: Adam McLean

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor won't hesitate to select Jack de Belin to make an NRL return should his star forward's court challenge of the game's new "no-fault standown" policy be successful.

De Belin became the first player stood down under the policy prior to round one, with ARLC's new policy determining that he cannot play whilst facing charges of aggravated sexual assault.

De Belin has vehemently maintained his innocence in relation to the charges with court action against the game set to begin on Monday. It's unlikely to see a swift resolution but McGregor says de Belin will make a quick return if successful.

"I hope he does win [his case]. Other than that I don't much more than you guys [the media]," he said.

"Will I pick Jack, if he's mentally and physically right, absolutely."

Asked if de Belin was ready McGregor said: "If we a play a possibles and probables at training and first plays reserve grade, then yes he's ready."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6043802/no-wait-needed-on-de-belin/?cs=3713

Glenn012

Juniors
This is false. You are 100% wrong about this.
Here’s proof.
View attachment 28959
Now you’ve got actual facts. The vast majority allegations of sexual assault do NOT get charged. Care to change your tune?
Good one. Just provide a URL if you want me to take your message seriously. But I did note "reports of sex offenses". Could well be a report for patting a girl on the backside or a third person making a complaint.
Glenny, you're wrong again old mate. JDB isn't accused of rape, he's charged with rape. Having two daughters has nothing to do with punishment. I don't seek any outcome whatsoever. Just let the law do it's job. You've married yourself closely to your cause which is you're right, but time for an afternoon nap Glenny.
Whatever Colombo. I'm sick of your crap. I believe JDB is going to be allowed to play because as of now he is an innocent man and in a society of laws, he shouldn't be punished unless he is found guilty. So I just hope you STFU and get behind the team. And then if, as I expect, he is found not guilty I hope you have the decency to fall on your sword.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Good one. Just provide a URL if you want me to take your message seriously. But I did note "reports of sex offenses". Could well be a report for patting a girl on the backside or a third person making a complaint.

Whatever Colombo. I'm sick of your crap. I believe JDB is going to be allowed to play because as of now he is an innocent man and in a society of laws, he shouldn't be punished unless he is found guilty. So I just hope you STFU and get behind the team. And then if, as I expect, he is found not guilty I hope you have the decency to fall on your sword.
Little Glenny, I don't care one way or the other as to the outcome. I'm just letting the legal process unwind. If he's acquitted then fine. If he's found guilty I feel very sad for him and his family, because then his real pain begins. You've the only person infatuated by him
A bit creepy but there you go. Time to refill your prescription mate!

possm

Coach
Good luck today Jack, I hope you win this one mainly because the ARLC / NRL have acted cowardly and without due process. The retrospective nature is unfair and the lasck of investigation or hearing is also unfair. I note the ARLC/NRL have not compensated SGI via salary cap relief or a lump sum payment for their decsision to stand down De Belin. I believe this will not go down well in court.

The Damo

Juniors

Whatever Colombo. I'm sick of your crap. I believe JDB is going to be allowed to play because as of now he is an innocent man and in a society of laws, he shouldn't be punished unless he is found guilty. So I just hope you STFU and get behind the team. And then if, as I expect, he is found not guilty I hope you have the decency to fall on your
sword.
Google is right there friendo. While you’re there see if you can find any data to back your false claim “the bar is set very low for someone to be charged with rape”. That’s your claim - back it up. And some neckbeard on YouTube doesn’t count. Willfully ignorant is no way to go through life.

2010Dragons

Bench
Here is my Tip:
Jack will be cleared to play by Friday.
I don’t know if jack is guilty or innocent. But in this country everyone is innocent UNTIL proven guilty.
NRL HAVE NOT RIGHT TO STAND JACK DOWN.
Beatie will quit his job for the biggest mistake in NRL history.

Glenn012

Juniors
Here is my Tip:
I don’t know if jack is guilty or innocent. But in this country everyone is innocent UNTIL proven guilty.
Precisely! And if Jack is found not guilty at the end of it, I hope he pursues Beattie and Greenburg for damages and/or slander or something.
Google is right there friendo. While you’re there see if you can find any data to back your false claim “the bar is set very low for someone to be charged with rape”. That’s your claim - back it up. And some neckbeard on YouTube doesn’t count. Willfully ignorant is no way to go through life.
No, if you want me to take your message serious, just provide the f**king link or STFU about it.
Little Glenny, I don't care one way or the other as to the outcome. I'm just letting the legal process unwind. If he's acquitted then fine. If he's found guilty I feel very sad for him and his family, because then his real pain begins. You've the only person infatuated by him
A bit creepy but there you go. Time to refill your prescription mate!
I've already stopped reading your messages.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Here is my Tip:
Beatie is the biggest mistake in NRL history ..Period !

RufusRex

Post Whore
Yawn ... why dont people understand that standing someone down on full pay is not passing judgement on their guilt/innocence. It is simply a risk mitigation strategy.

The easiest way to understand it is this ... Teacher charged with being a kiddie fiddler .. They are entitled to the same presumption of innocence as Jack? yes! .. does it make sense to have them in a classroom teaching? Absolutely not !! Stood down on full pay pending the case.

If you are happy for Jack to not be stood down then the concept you are supporting is precisely the same as the pedo priest or the pedo teacher - just taken to the Nth degree.

If that is a little to confrontational for you then bank teller charged with theft etc etc

The NRL have the right to do whatever they think is in the best interest of the game.

Glenn012

Juniors
Yawn ... why dont people understand that standing someone down on full pay is not passing judgement on their guilt/innocence. It is simply a risk mitigation strategy.

The easiest way to understand it is this ... Teacher charged with being a kiddie fiddler .. They are entitled to the same presumption of innocence as Jack? yes! .. does it make sense to have them in a classroom teaching? Absolutely not !! Stood down on full pay pending the case.

If you are happy for Jack to not be stood down then the concept you are supporting is precisely the same as the pedo priest or the pedo teacher - just taken to the Nth degree.

If that is a little to confrontational for you then bank teller charged with theft etc etc

The NRL have the right to do whatever they think is in the best interest of the game.
Nonsense. Unless you think there is danger of Jack raping someone while playing NRL. If the NRL thinks rejecting the rule of law is in the best interests of the game, then something is very wrong with the NRL and/or the game and it needs to be burned down and started anew.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Precisely! And if Jack is found not guilty at the end of it, I hope he pursues Beattie and Greenburg for damages and/or slander or something.

No, if you want me to take your message serious, just provide the f**king link or STFU about it.

I've already stopped reading your messages.
Little, Little Glenny; you apparently have not stopped reading my messages or you would not have replied. Horse and cart principle Little Little Glenny.

As for taking you seriously....well none of us do!

I used to live in London for a few years and every now and then in summer we would have a few beers and head up to Hyde Park and listen to folks carry on at Speakers Corner. For the 1st 10 minutes they were like you; bloody hilarious and then they just got sort of boring (again much like you).

There must be other Dragons forums you can find? We were travelling along very nicely until you showed up.

Just let the legal process play out Little Little Glenny. If he is acquitted then fine. If not then it's a hard road unfortunately. Either way I don't really care outside of supporting his right to the presumption of innocence and to a fair trial.

You are so vested in the outcome that it makes me think you may be privy to some information that other are not. If this is the case, tell his defence team not us.

Now I think we all understand your view on the matter. Trust me...we understand it. So there is no need for you to post any further on this thread. Just let it rest Little, Little Glenny.

RufusRex

Post Whore
No .. the NRL simply think that playing jack whilst under trial will cost them in terms of image/pr/dollars .. That is all ...

They want discussion in all our games to be about footy not jack which it has been.

It is not about risk of reoffending .. it is just a different kind of risk.
Has nothing to do with guilt/innocence.

Glenn012

Juniors
No .. the NRL simply think that playing jack whilst under trial will cost them in terms of image/pr/dollars .. That is all ...

They want discussion in all our games to be about footy not jack which it has been.

It is not about risk of reoffending .. it is just a different kind of risk.
Has nothing to do with guilt/innocence.
I see. Well if sponsors and "corporate partners" and etc don't like the rule of law, they should be burned down period.

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack De Belin's barrister: 'NRL policy harsh, unfair and draconian'
By Kelly Fedor • Court Reporter
12:14pm Apr 15, 2019
Video Player is loading.
This is a modal window.

Dragons player Jack De Belin's barrister has called the league's new stand down policy harsh, unfair and draconian.

De Belin, 28 was among those in the Federal Court for day one of his fight against the new no fault rule which applies to players charged with serious offences who face a possible jail term of 11 years or more.

The St George Illawarra Dragons forward has pleaded not guilty to raping a 19-year-old woman in Wollongong.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ff4e9a8c4-bb91-4116-b16d-824fd30c7ed4

Jack de Belin. (AAP)
His barrister told the Federal Court today the policy appeared to be unique among sporting codes in Australia, if not the world, particularly because it applied to existing contracts.

"No right to appeal the application or have it reviewed. This is on any view a remarkable and extreme provision" Marcus Einfeld QC said.

The NRL wants to rely on the responses of supporters and sponsors which De Belin's team opposes.

Mr Einfeld QC argued their reaction was to player misbehaviour over a lengthy period, which included the "so-called summer of hell", not just De Belin.

De Belin is suing both the NRL and ARLC, claiming they did not have the power to suspend him and engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct.

He also wants the Federal Court to permanently restrain the NRL and commission from applying the rule to other players.

:copyright: Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019

https://www.9news.com.au/national/n...raconian/0bf88a65-2dca-4722-adf9-b9cc38b56a7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts