What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings dishes Panthers

Big Mick

Referee
TBH I had an issue with it initially as thinking it was just a childish thing to say.

But tbh, he was playing to the crowd which is a group of liquored up Rooster fans. What else is he going to say.

It was beneficial for both parties. He got the kick up the ass he needed in order to realise his potential as a player. I never saw the level of commitment in defense at Penrith than I saw from him this year and while he wasn't as explosive with ball in hand he took the opportunities every time as opposed to a 33% strike rate with us essentially when the opportunity was there. I think he obviously benefited from better halves but also a running second rower with ball-playing skills. It is no coincidence he struggled after Frank left. He also benefited from the fact he wasn't the #1 guy opposition were targeting in defense whereas he was most definitely that at Penrith.

On the flip side, we were able to utilise the funds he freed up, along with others leaving, to build a more balanced squad with a stack of QUALITY depth. We may not have seen the results this year but we will from next year onwards. Anyone bagging out Penrith after Jennings won a comp...which I have seen plenty, even among our own supporter base....is very short sighted.

ammatt

Juniors
Jennings likes to dish it out to Penrith about the way he was treated, but wasn't he the 1 that turned up drunk to training, among other indescretions.
Lets see what Trent Robinson and the roosters management do when Jennings turns up drunk to their training session. Will Jennings then turn on the roosters club.
He is a almighty idiot that we are better off without

franklin2323

Immortal
There were also attitude and performance issues.

Which is the reason they wanted him gone rather then get some of his salary off books. Though that said Canberra didn't have to pay Dugan. So why not sack him if was that bad?

FTR I have no issue with him going just the timing. Coote's release is what we should of done rather then end of pre-season.

I'm not saying his attitude was bad enough to sack him.

Just that it was a combination of factors that came together.

In terms of the timing, they may have had to jump on the offer if they felt it wouldn't come up again.

Another poor season from Jennings and it could've been very hard to convince another club to pay him what he wanted.

age.s

First Grade
I don't care what he says, I care that he rarely played as hard or as well as he did this season when he was with us. It's easy to chalk it all down to quality in the halves, but it really felt like he put more in this year than I've ever seen from him.

I really didn't want him or dollar bill to win this year, still couldn't cheer for Manly though.

Manly, Melbourne and Roosters domination over the last few years. What a disgusting time to be a league fan.

maple_69

Bench
I wish we just had one year with Penrith, Sharks, Tigers and Warriors dominating. Would be a great change for the fans and good for the game.

Doomednow

Bench
I wish we just had one year with Penrith, Sharks, Tigers and Warriors dominating. Would be a great change for the fans and good for the game.

Might get it soon enough. Manly's squad must lose a bit of quality over the next few years, Melbourne will need to do something drastic when the big 3 call it quits. There should be a bit of a shake-up when this happens.

franklin2323

Immortal

Given the recruitment and age of the sharks players they wont be dominating for an extended period. Lost Peachey, Townsend and Bukuya signed 28-30 yo. Us and Tigers for sure

broncos2010

Juniors
He had every right to say that it was panthers that forced him out not the other way around.
He is one of the best players in the nrl and your club did everything it could to dispose of him.
Also I would imagine panthers are still paying some of his salary to win a premiership at another club.
I hope that winning try he scored remains in your heads for a very long time.

chrisD

Coach
He had every right to say that it was panthers that forced him out not the other way around.
He is one of the best players in the nrl and your club did everything it could to dispose of him.
Also I would imagine panthers are still paying some of his salary to win a premiership at another club.
I hope that winning try he scored remains in your heads for a very long time.

lol what are you so bitter about?

Puntastic

Juniors
I too would be very angry if my boss had the arrogance to fire me after turning up drunk to work.

Unfortunately, I expected Jennings to come up with some sort of comment bagging Penrith. Fittler did the same thing back in 1995 when he was signed by the roosters at the end of the season and he rocked up on the Grand Final edition of the Footy Show wearing a roosters polo shirt. I remember Fatty Vautin asking him about his move to the beaches to which he replied, "Better than Penrith".

That being said, I'm sure Jennings, just like Fittler, will always have a soft spot for the Panthers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up back at the club before he eventually retires

soc123_au

Staff member
Its a storm in a teacup. The bloke scored the match winner in the most important game of his life. He would be absolutely over the moon & rightly so. If it wasn't for Penrith he never would have been there in the first place. At least he remembers where he came from.

BOMAR

Juniors
I have to agree with bronco. Get of your high horses, Im sure there has been occasions where you all have had a drink, and possibly turned up to work, a little under the weather. Really not a big crime in the scheme of things. We have actually purchased guys that have done a lot worse than that, and where are they now, Laurie,Tuamata ring any bells. Not that long ago people on here wanted us to get Carney,Beale and then Ferguson.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don't think Michael Jennings has been disrespectful to the Panthers. He said what he said, he was being honest. He was honest enough to admit that he was totally committed at all times. The powers that be recognised the issue, that is obvious and allowing Michael to move on was simply a business decision for the better good of all concerned. I am pleased for Michael much as I dislike the fact the Roosters were able to 'buy' a premiership. Even allowing for all the concessions in the salary cap they have an unbelievable playing roster. When you consider so many sides apparently spend up to there cap and do not have half the star players the Roosters do it is hard to fathom.

In relation to Michael Jennings most of us had all but given up hope of resigning his youngest brother Robert and many believed he would follow Michael to the Roosters. It didn't happen and Robert has resigned with the club. That alone tells me things are looking pretty good for our club long term and much credit has to go to Phil Gould whether you like it or not. Considering the 'feud' between Gould and Michael Jennings it was natural to conclude we weren't a hope in hell of resigning his brother particularly given every club in the NRL would have been chasing him.

Michael will never play for the Panthers again that is a given, but here's hoping his brothers George and Roberts play NRL for the Panthers that would be great to see. At the same time I hope Michael has a long and successful career at the Roosters. I wish him well.

roofromoz

First Grade
Jenko left Penrith in January. Since that time, I haven't really given a sh*t about him and his performances, other than when he played for NSW. But that was a spectacular try he scored in the GF, and I am happy for him winning a comp - once an ex-Panther, I still respect them, unless they are really douchebag material (such as Matty Adamson).

natheel

Coach
What did Maloney say about Foran and DCE?

It was post game and he was saying how everyone touted Foran and DCE as the best halves but he and Pearce proved otherwise tonight. Bit of a stupid comment coming from a player who was part if the 8th series losing blues along side his much maligned mate in Pearce. Pearce did nothing in the GF that warrants any accolades IMO

Maloney is a very good player but I thought it was a bit of a dick comment