What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Smith for captain?

Cagey Mac

Bench
This guy leads by example as well as the best that we have in the team and Bennett seems to like him at lock where he's likely to get a lot of minutes
His commitment in defense head on is great, he chases and doesn't give up and he can find his way over the line with power and determination
What do you think?
BTW I had him as man of the match with daylight second last night and was pleased to see the Kiwis reduce the hat sizes of we Aussies last night. Judging by what channel nine was saying, our current crop would have flogged he immortals by a ton.
I honestly think that our pack will be the benchmark next year with loads of competition for places and plenty of depth
Bring on '09!

watatank

Coach
He certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. He has had experience as NZ captain too which doesn't hurt. I still think Creagh does everything Smith does but better bar perhaps the talking part and hence should be captain.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
He certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. He has had experience as NZ captain too which doesn't hurt. I still think Creagh does everything Smith does but better bar perhaps the talking part and hence should be captain.

Smith with Creagh as vice captain. Sounds good. Better options than Young or Cooper. Young might not even make the team and cooper should just worry about getting into some form.

Smith was easily man of the match - that ankle tap on Thurston changed the game.

smacky

Juniors
Jeremy smith last night showed what a great buy he will be, tough, skillful, hardworking, and has real leadership qualities. Would be a good choice for captain

Cagey Mac

Bench
I recall one part last night where about half a dozen Aussies tackled Smith and tried to rough him up a little. He stood tough and held his ground like a rock, demanding the respect of his foes. That’s what really confirmed my thoughts that he may well have the chops for the job.
I agree that the ankle tap was pivotal as was his try when the Kiwis were 10 nil down.
That said, I think barring a couple of brain snaps from Slater, Williams and Monaghan that we were the better side. Even if the Kiwis had lost IMO Smith was the stand out
The Dragons AAA Power Pack in going to light up the NRL in ‘09

feral dragon

Juniors
Smith as capt. No way. Last night he had a great game but it was still only 35-40 minutes. He can be our sergeant at arms though.

dragonfan1

Juniors
Great player but no point making him captain if he is leaving after his contract ends imo. Let's wait and see before we make a judgement. But yes, based on his performances this season and experience with the kiwis, not a bad option.

Godz Illa

Coach
He shat on his opposite number Gallen from a great height last night. From a great height. He is a Saints legend already.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Glad to see that you think that the case has merit Godzy
I think Deano's form was streaky last year until the last few rounds which is understandable but nonetheless doesn't built toward qualification for captaincy. Creaghzy seems very quiet and may lack the leadership qualities needed for the gig. Certainly Smith, given he was given the imprimatur of both Kearney and most importantly, Bennett has these qualities. The captaincy would also IMO increase the likelihood of a longer tenure with the Dragons. His form throughout the season in a champion team was strong albeit at times off the bench. His form throughout the RWC was sensational.
That said I'd be happy enough to see another Dragon get the gig
I just think Smith is highly worthy of consideration

Slackboy72

Coach
The captain should be the brains of the team. This is not what Gasnier is or Dean Young has proven to be. I strongly suspect if they're fit, Priddis or Hornby will take this role.

watatank

Coach
The more I think about it the more I'm a fan of Smith at captain.

Both Hornby and Priddis need to concentrate on their own games and should not be burdened by captaincy. I think Young is in a similar position, one his position is not assured anyway and the captain needs to be so. Even if it is he should continue to work his way back towards the player he once was, as he has been doing. Maybe after a strong year he can assume the captaincy again. Cooper is as solid and dependable as anyone and would make a fine captain but he just doesn't seem to have the ability to lift others around him other than the players to his immediate left and right.

Creagh and Smith are the sorts of leaders we need and what I would look to for leadership. The players you look to make metres when no one else does, the players you look to press an advantage when it presents itself, to make that cover tackle when everyone else is out on their feet and the sorts of players who never take a backward step. Smith probably has the advantage as he is a better communicator but Creagh's actions certainly speak volumes. I agree with the poster that said that Smith should be captain with Creagh vice captain. That leadership is what we need.

boxa777

Coach
Whilst I love Benny Creagh as a player, Jeremy Smith would be a much better choice..

I think Benny is too much of a nice guy. Whilst there are many leadership attributes in Creagh, I don't think he would be able to intimidate the referees. Let's face it, it is part of the game. No point copping dud calls all game if you don't have to.

I see Smith as a great leader thru actions firstly but I also think he has that hard edge about him that is long overdue in the red v.

Latest posts