What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

The Great Dane

First Grade
You have the worst taste in jerseys on LU
Nah, this place is just a circle jerk that's convinced themselves of their own correctness by repeating their own opinions back to each other without ever hearing, or genuinely considering, different perspectives.

The NRL's uniform and merchandise culture is garbage compared to most other major sports I can think of.

The Great Dane

First Grade
TBF older clubs that come from countries that not only have historical ties to other countries around the world through empire, have little opposition to rival codes and play in a genuine world game that is obscenely flushed with cash will naturally tick all those boxes compared to the clubs in a four-code country situated at the arse-end of the earth. The only brand from this region that has very good brand recognition globally would be the All Blacks. Not much in the way of jersey experimentation there apart from a couple of much maligned alternates but famous for being all black, which rather proves the point that tradition is also marketable?
I picked those examples at random based on the best images I could find of jersey histories. I could easily produce others that better fit your precise criteria and we both know it, but I'm not playing that game. Address the substance of the argument or move on.

BTW, PSG was founded in 1970 from a merger of Paris FC, that was only a year old, and Stade Saint-Germain that'd struggled for decades and left little impact on PSG design wise. For all intents and purposes they were a new club. Their financials were patchy at best for most of their existence until the Qataris bought them out in 2011, and topflight soccer is a more competitive market than anything in Australian sport. Yeah they've got a global audience, but they can lose that audience to a dozen different clubs from half a dozen different countries in a heart beat if they aren't careful. A couple bad years or a relegation and suddenly most of those PSG fans are spending much more time watching their e.g. EPL side, and the same goes for all major soccer teams.
As for the experimentation samples you provided, most of the changes are subtle. Stripe placement, numbers of and width plus a direction change in one as well as a bunch of collar changes. I’m genuinely not trying to be facetious here but Souths have pretty much done the same. Uninterrupted hoops, side panels, hoops width, collar changes, black/white rabbit. Other than they don’t do it every year, I don’t see what your problem is other than you don’t like it. Which is subjective.
Almost all of those changes above are significantly larger than any Souths have made with the sole exception of the Minties jersey. That's also just a small sample of the changes they've made, and doesn't include their away or alt kits that are way more adventurous than their NRL equivalents on average. That picture doesn't do the Utd jerseys justice either, as the fine detail in many of their jerseys is completely lost in that picture unfortunately.
In my ‘subjective’ opinion, our current kit is better than any of those PSG examples but I’m still open to something better.
The safe money would be on most neutral observers disagreeing with you, but I wasn't seriously suggesting that the Roosters should copy PSG's designs anyway. I honestly find it kind of sad that you seem to be of the position that there's such a bankruptcy of creativity at the Roosters that they'd be incapable of coming up with an aesthetically pleasing design on their own.

I picked those examples at random based on the best images I could find of jersey histories. I could easily produce others that better fit your precise criteria and we both know it, but I'm not playing that game. Address the substance of the argument or move on.

BTW, PSG was founded in 1970 from a merger of Paris FC, that was only a year old, and Stade Saint-Germain that'd struggled for decades and left little impact on PSG design wise. For all intents and purposes they were a new club. Their financials were patchy at best for most of their existence until the Qataris bought them out in 2011, and topflight soccer is a more competitive market than anything in Australian sport. Yeah they've got a global audience, but they can lose that audience to a dozen different clubs from half a dozen different countries in a heart beat if they aren't careful. A couple bad years or a relegation and suddenly most of those PSG fans are spending much more time watching their e.g. EPL side, and the same goes for all major soccer teams.

Almost all of those changes above are significantly larger than any Souths have made with the sole exception of the Minties jersey. That's also just a small sample of the changes they've made, and doesn't include their away or alt kits that are way more adventurous than their NRL equivalents on average. That picture doesn't do the Utd jerseys justice either, as the fine detail in many of their jerseys is completely lost in that picture unfortunately.

The safe money would be on most neutral observers disagreeing with you, but I wasn't seriously suggesting that the Roosters should copy PSG's designs anyway. I honestly find it kind of sad that you seem to be of the position that there's such a bankruptcy of creativity at the Roosters that they'd be incapable of coming up with an aesthetically pleasing design on their own.
Precise criteria? I just answered on the examples you gave me lol and my point is, and I’ll keep it short because you bore me, change is only good in many cases when it’s for the better.
PS
Going from what I’ve read on these threads, Roosters kits tend to generate complements with the exception of the Great Dame of course.

Not this old chestnut again -

Sorry Jackson, but not everything done in American sports is great. I for one do not want individualised jersey numbers like in the NFL, NBA nor the UK Super League. If he loves it so much, "go back to the UK then lad" is my answer.

I would 100% support player names on the back of jerseys- better from a marketing perspective for the game.

I don't have a problem with names per se, but he also wants out to be that jersey numbers will be for an individual player and not for the position.

So, for example, if this applied in the NRL, and Jackson Hastings was unavailable for a game or two his replacement at halfback would not wear No. 7, but whatever number he had been allocated (e.g. no. 34). It would be like that at every NRL club too. Its that side I do not support. It is also, in my opinion just a money grab too for the players.

yakstorm

First Grade
So, for example, if this applied in the NRL, and Jackson Hastings was unavailable for a game or two his replacement at halfback would not wear No. 7, but whatever number he had been allocated (e.g. no. 34). It would be like that at every NRL club too. Its that side I do not support. It is also, in my opinion just a money grab too for the players.
I'm personally fine with that and feel it actually adds a level of prestige to the number. If you want to wear number 7 at your club, you need to be the top halfback in that squad and earn that number at the start of the season.

It's not like the current process is perfect anyway. Pretty much every game, especially after the opening rounds, has variances between the squad numbers given out on Tuesday and the starting side.

Historically it's not like we haven't had non-FG squad players wearing higher numbers. Back in the days of Reserve Grade + Presidents Cup, if any player would be 'promoted' from those squads to the first grade squad, they would be wearing a number in their 20's, 30's or 40's when they took the field.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"go back to the UK then lad" is my answer.
The Australian answer to anything that challenges people here lol

Names yes, numbers less so. I get the marketing value of a specific number related to a specific player, but for new comers to the game understanding whose playing where by their number can certainly help.
wont change the world either way.

I'm personally fine with that and feel it actually adds a level of prestige to the number. If you want to wear number 7 at your club, you need to be the top halfback in that squad and earn that number at the start of the season.

It's not like the current process is perfect anyway. Pretty much every game, especially after the opening rounds, has variances between the squad numbers given out on Tuesday and the starting side.

Historically it's not like we haven't had non-FG squad players wearing higher numbers. Back in the days of Reserve Grade + Presidents Cup, if any player would be 'promoted' from those squads to the first grade squad, they would be wearing a number in their 20's, 30's or 40's when they took the field.

Yes, but the way it is done does not mean that "No. 7" will even be a halfback at the club, let alone the best. Let's say the best halfback at the club loved Michael Jordan or Lebron James, so they have jersey 23 instead, and a forward on the bench winds up with no. 7.

I remember those days you refer to. The difference was though, that your number accorded with what position you played in. It was not personalised with a particular player for the entire season. It changed if you moved up a grade, or played a different position when the teams were selected for the next game.

GAZF

First Grade
I wouldn't be against squad numbers if it was 1-13 for a first choice team (selected at start of season), then roughly 14-22 for other forwards and 23-30 for other backs/halves in the squad.

Matiunz

Juniors
Classic doing suoer rugby

It’s quite refreshing to see classic let the clubs have a bit more freedom and individuality after 20 years of Adidas essentially one template with colour variations.
Mixed results
Highlanders Home=Safe, Away=Great
Crusaders both missed the mark a bit with the crooked stripes.
Hurricanes Home =Safe to good, Away=Great possibly pick of the bunch
Chiefs Home Safe to good, Away safe to good
Blues Home missed the mark, away = something new but looks good.
Strange in that most of this years away jerseys are better than the home jerseys.
Great to see the introduction of heritage jerseys, if the rest of the teams do what the blues have they will be a MASSIVE seller, fans have been crying out for years for these

roosters-samsung-retro-jersey-2.jpg

looseforward

Juniors
roosters-samsung-retro-jersey-2.jpg

They got the Samsung font closer on this unlike their 96 and 95 aways, good to see, but still not right compared to what was worn on the field. Font resembles what the non-classic supporters versions looked like (Sport-M, Peerless, Canterbury).

I suspect those supporter jerseys are what they copied the design from.

But how did they screw up the sleeves so badly?! That alone kills this design.

LineBall

Juniors
I'd be happy to have players pick their own numbers as long as rep football continued with traditional numbers for positions.