What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jets play on TV!

NZ Jet

Juniors
I was flicking through the channels the other night here in Auckland and came to Maori TV Channel, who were having a show about young Maori players in the NRL. I was about to keep flicking when onto the screen comes a fairly full KGV stand / Kiosk terrace and the sound of "Newtown is coming, hear the Bluebags humming....." at full blast!

They proceded to show film of the ground/crowd, followed by interviews with the 2 Balmain players they were featuring in the new dressing rooms. They actually spoke to them before the game, showed the coach addressing them at 1/2 and full time, and spoke with them again after the game so I got to see the dressing sheds in all their glory.

Anyway, the main thing was that all tries in the game were covered with full commentary (in Maori so the only words I understood were "Jets" and "Tigers"), with decent footage and lots of cheering in the background. The scores also came up with each try so you could watch Newtown come from about 20 down at halftime to win by a couple of tries (34-26 I think)!

Amazing......... great crowd that day by the looks of things and they played a good chunk of the Newtown club song before and after the game. Easily the most footage I have seen of Jets since 83!

bluebag43

Juniors
Hi NZ Jet I'm well. I hope all is well with you.

I'm going to the Newtown presentation tonight, so if they announce anything of interest regarding next year I will let you know!

girvie

Staff member
I have heard the Ngati NRL series is pretty good.

Apparently Big-Steve (a member here) is being sent the series because he helped out in some way. Hopefully i will be able to borrow it from him.

NZ Jet

Juniors
I contacted the producers of the series and the lovely people there said if I'd like to purchase the first 3 episodes of the new Ngati NRL series on DVD for $25 then they'd throw in the entire Jets v Balmain game on DVD for free - which of course I did!

The Ngati NRL series looks good - follows these young blokes as they try to make a go of it. I've only scanned through it, but looks like some good Asquith, Balmain and Norths footage from JBC/PL and should be interesting story too. The Jets match must be on next disc to come out - episode 4 I think.

Better still, I can now watch the whole Jets v Balmain game with the huge come from behind win whenever I want (and already have done). Great second half from the blues that day!

happy as! (as they say over here)

2 True Blues

Coach
Sounds good NZ J. The only entire game I have on DVD is the Parra versus Jets grandfinal from 81. Have watched it many times, however the ending is always the same worst luck !!! LOL...................

NZ Jet

Juniors
Yeah - I left my copy of that in Sydney. Funny the first hour of tape seemed to be getting worn out - but the last 30 minutes will forever remain in pristine condition....

NZ Jet

Juniors
Show on TV here on Thursday night for half hour covering the leadup to Sundays 3rd Cook Islands vs NZ Maori "Test". Joining the likes of Tawera Nikau and Richie Barnett on the panel were a couple of Jets past and present - Tere Glassie and Thomas Gemmel - being the respective captains of the Cook Islands and NZ Maori. Game will be on TV Sunday pm. Good to see a couple of Bluebags on the panel and in action for their countries.

2 True Blues

Coach
Was unhappy when Tere went to Wests. Thought he was one of our better players at the time. It hurt the next season when Wests beat us and he scored a great try against us.

Thommas GEMMEL is also a great player, and I am so hoping that he plays next season for the Jets again. He always gives 100 percent and should be signed, can't believe no club has grabbed him yet. The selectors must be frickin nuts....

Newtown Ear

Juniors
Speaking of Jets on TV. Last night during the test match i believe that i saw a jet in the crowd. Yes, Jeffles was wearing an Australian Jersey with a Newtown Jets hat on. Good work Jeffles for promoting the Jets at the match.

NZ Jet

Juniors
Good for you Jeffles!

I wore my Jets jersey to the SFS test in 2003 and got heaps of reaction from the punters - 100% positive too.

Tere and Thommas both had great games for their countries yesterday in highly entertaining game with Tere's Cook Islanders getting up by a couple of points. Look out for young Mauri bloke called Hauraki at Parra next year!

hrundi99

First Grade
Newtown Ear said:
Speaking of Jets on TV. Last night during the test match i believe that i saw a jet in the crowd. Yes, Jeffles was wearing an Australian Jersey with a Newtown Jets hat on. Good work Jeffles for promoting the Jets at the match.

Yeah I spotted him too. :)

girvie

Staff member
This is a quote about seeing Ngati NRL on tv in Australia from one of the posters on the Bears forum. I suggest that everyone who wants this show on tv in Australia write to SBS or at the least send them an email.

I asked Glenn (Elliott - The Producer) if there were any plans for it to be screened in Australia, and he told me he was in Sydney last week talking with SBS, but said that SBS is only interested in soccer programs at the moment. The SBS website is at www.sbs.com.au which for General Mail says to "Direct your letter to the Head of Radio, Head of Television or Head of New Media". The address is:

Special Broadcasting Service
Locked Bag 028
Crows Nest NSW 2065

Or you can send an e-mail to << comments@sbs.com.au >> although SBS says it doesn't respond to e-mails, but just refers them to management.

It's always better to address letters to someone rather than a generic "To whom it may concern", so with that in mind, the SBS Managing Director is Nigel Milan and the Head of Television is Shaun Brown. (This will change in February 2006 when Milan steps down and Brown takes over as MD.