What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jets vs Parra

Nikki

Coach
They'll be a sh*t colour coz they aint the Blue and Gold (I think there is some brown in there too to make em even sh*tter) :(

Was a great game on Sat tho. Some of have posted some pics over on the Eels forum if you wanna wander over and have a look see

2 True Blues said:
It was a great day mate, wasn't it. Hey just wondering. What color are the Mounties jerseys anyway mate ???

Black and Gold - current jersey looks a bit like the 2001 Parra jersey (with that upside-down triangle).

I may start coming down to Henson more often - especially next season when I won't have an Eels PL side to support...

What a heart breaking day at the footy.... As Jeffles says, following the Jets is defiantly a character builder!
While I was dissapointed with the result, I felt that Parra were the stronger of the two teams and more likely to score when they got to the right end of the pitch, plus they scored more tries and it was only the Jets goal kicker keeping us in the game.
Still, plenty of positives to take out of the day and it was great to see so many people at Henson, even if some of them were in Blue and Yellow!

I had a great day. Great weather, great football, great atmosphere. Shame about the result but thats football. Geez there were some characters there, did anyone see that old fella rolling down the hill? That was without a doubt one of the funniest things I have ever seen at Henson.

2 True Blues

Coach
cumberlandsashes81 said:
Black and Gold - current jersey looks a bit like the 2001 Parra jersey (with that upside-down triangle).

I may start coming down to Henson more often - especially next season when I won't have an Eels PL side to support...

You are a TRUE eels supporter CS81. Not many people support ALL grades these days , well done mate. :thumn :clap: :clap: ;-)

thought we woz robbed ! when parra scored the last try the ref got in the way for the jets tackler and prevented him for tackling the the bloke with the ball.

did anyone else c that ? i thought it was pretty clear from where i was standing at the hill bar.

2 True Blues

Coach
Originally Posted by Jets Media Release
Jets Pipped at the Post by Parramatta Yet Again.

A makeshift Newtown Jets team battled bravely in Saturday’s VB Premier League match against Parramatta at Henson Park, only to have victory snatched from them in the last minutes of the game. The Jets had trailed 19-12 at halftime but had slightly the better of the contest for most of the second half. They were clinging desperately to a 30-29 lead in the game’s dying moments but Parra’s late converted try gave the Eels a 35-30 victory, leaving the Jets mired on the fringes of the competition’s top eight.

Newtown fans responded well to their club’s clarion call and the season’s best crowd was in attendance for this clash between two of the VB Premier League’s fiercest rivals. Jets front-rower Dale Newton brought a roar from the partisan crowd when he barged over in the sixth minute, following polished lead-up work by debutant winger Hermani Moala and five-eighth Shaun Foley. Newtown’s defensive fragility was ruthlessly exposed in a forgettable ten-minute spell midway through the first half, with the Eels piling on three tries but only converting one of them. The Jets responded in the thirtieth minute when three of their best performers on the day – halfback George Ndaira, hooker Heath L’Estrange and Foley - combined for the latter to score and then convert his own try. Parramatta increased their lead five minutes before the break with a try from a well-directed corner kick, as well as by adding a field goal virtually on the halftime siren.

The Jets narrowed the margin to one point after second-rower Anthony Cherrington stormed across the line five minutes into the second half, with Foley adding the extras. Another breakdown in midfield defence conceded a converted try to the Eels, but the young Jets fought back through a long break by centre Antonio Winterstein, which ended in halfback Ndaira sending fullback Aaron Lai on a cleverly-angled run to score to the right of the posts in the 55th minute. Foley converted for Newtown to trail by 25-24, and the versatile Lai thrilled the big Henson Park Hill crowd with a try-saving tackle barely two minutes later.

Parramatta continued to exploit Newtown’s fundamental errors, scoring another try following a possession turnover by the Jets thirteen minutes out from fulltime. Consecutive penalties from referee McFarlane gave the Jets the territorial platform from which the hard-grafting Newton battered and bulldozed his way through a phalanx of Parra defenders, scoring just to the left of the southern end uprights. Foley’s conversion gave Newtown a 30-29 lead with just four minutes to play. The vocal crowd was attempting to will the Jets home but yet another handling error gifted the Eels possession twenty metres out from Newtown’s line. The Jets defended desperately for a complete set but a penalty to Parramatta gave the Eels another crack with two minutes remaining. Parra then scored from a ricocheting kick that wasn’t defused and converted the try. The Jets still weren’t beaten and in the very last minute of play winger Troy Savage nearly grabbed a miracle try from a well-placed “last throw of the dice” kick from Foley.

Newtown coach Paul Young admitted that yet another last minute defeat at the hands of Parramatta was gut-wrenching, but he was full of praise for the courage and fierce determination of his team which had undergone several late changes. Hooker Heath L’Estrange was one of the Jets best, and he was seemingly everywhere in attack and defence. Halves Ndaira and Foley were playing together for the first time but combined like an experienced old firm. Both Savage and Winterstein ran with real purpose and Lai had his best match of the season. Newton (now the club’s leading try-scorer), Cherrington and backrowers Grant Millington and Adam Schubert all worked hard in the forwards, while Steve Meredith made a great comeback after major knee surgery back in early 2006.

The Newtown Jets are back at Henson Park this Wednesday night (27th June) for their deferred VB Premier League match against the Bulldogs, with this match timed for kick-off at 7.00pm.

Newtown’s team against Parramatta was:

Aaron Lai, Hermani Moala, Vince Mellars, Antonio Winterstein, Troy Savage, Shaun Foley, George Ndaira, Charlie Tonga, Grant Millington, Adam Schubert, Dale Newton, Willie Brown, Heath L’Estrange.

Bench:

Steve Meredith, James Shillington, Anthony Cherrington, Hep Cahill.

Parramatta 35;

7 tries, 3 goals, 1 field goal

defeated

Newtown 30:

Dale Newton 2, Shaun Foley, Anthony Cherrington, Aaron Lai tries; Shaun Foley 5 goals.

Half-Time: Parramatta led 19-12.

Referee: Ricky McFarlane.

Playing surface: Average.

Weather conditions: Fine, sunny, cold.

Match Day Sponsor: Soil ‘N’ Stuff, Harrow Road, Kogarah.

*** Good write up on a good game. Shame about the crucial two points though.***

2 True Blues said:
You are a TRUE eels supporter CS81. Not many people support ALL grades these days , well done mate. :thumn :clap: :clap: ;-)

There are a few of us on these forums who watch Flegg up to Firsts and I used to be much better than I used to be.

Between 94 and 01 I probably saw 75% of matches in all grades (never been to NZ to see them, which would be the exceptions) - with my Dad at first and then at Uni I was an RL mad student with plenty of time on my hands and a car. For a couple of years there you had to see all the grades to see a Parra team win occassionally... :lol: 2001 Grand Final left me a broken man (seriously mentally scarred! Even got dumped by my gf after the match...) and it took me a couple of years of intense therapy to even watch at an RL match again. I went to the game and set up the VCR to tape it and to this day it sits in my entertainment unit unwatched. One day I'll summon up the courage and watch it and then I'll know I'm truly healed...

I used to go to a Metro Cup match as well almost every weekend - was a Ryde-Eastwood Hawks fan but used to go out to Ringrose Park to watch Wenty go round as well. Came to Henson for the first time back in 97 (?) to see Hawks vs Bondi Roosters (anyone remember them - they were a feeder for Easts at the time).

Live about 10 - 15 mins from Henson nowadays so depending on what happens with the Parra PL side next year I might adopt the Jets to support (in PL ONLY, obviously) though the idea of wearing another team's jersey is hard to fathom...

greg

Juniors
cumberlandsashes81 said:
There are a few of us on these forums who watch Flegg up to Firsts and I used to be much better than I used to be.

Between 94 and 01 I probably saw 75% of matches in all grades (never been to NZ to see them, which would be the exceptions) - with my Dad at first and then at Uni I was an RL mad student with plenty of time on my hands and a car. For a couple of years there you had to see all the grades to see a Parra team win occassionally... :lol: 2001 Grand Final left me a broken man (seriously mentally scarred! Even got dumped by my gf after the match...) and it took me a couple of years of intense therapy to even watch at an RL match again. I went to the game and set up the VCR to tape it and to this day it sits in my entertainment unit unwatched. One day I'll summon up the courage and watch it and then I'll know I'm truly healed...

I used to go to a Metro Cup match as well almost every weekend - was a Ryde-Eastwood Hawks fan but used to go out to Ringrose Park to watch Wenty go round as well. Came to Henson for the first time back in 97 (?) to see Hawks vs Bondi Roosters (anyone remember them - they were a feeder for Easts at the time).

Live about 10 - 15 mins from Henson nowadays so depending on what happens with the Parra PL side next year I might adopt the Jets to support (in PL ONLY, obviously) though the idea of wearing another team's jersey is hard to fathom...

Once you put the jersey on CumberlandAshes you will never take it off. Don't rush your recovery re 2001 though. I'm still recovering from 1981.

2 True Blues

Coach
cumberlandsashes81 said:
2001 Grand Final left me a broken man (seriously mentally scarred! Even got dumped by my gf after the match...) and it took me a couple of years of intense therapy to even watch at an RL match again. I went to the game and set up the VCR to tape it and to this day it sits in my entertainment unit unwatched. One day I'll summon up the courage and watch it and then I'll know I'm truly healed...
**** I know what you mean mate. I can give you a lend of my Jets/Eels 1981 grandfinal DVD. It kills me to watch it, though it sometimes get a viewing. The script is always the same though. LOL...****

2 True Blues

Coach
greg said:
Once you put the jersey on CumberlandAshes you will never take it off. Don't rush your recovery re 2001 though. I'm still recovering from 1981.

:lol: Just read your post mate. See, Greg knows what Im talkin about, LOL....:lol:

Latest posts