What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jnr Paulo returning.

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^

6 hours ago

RAIDER'S PLEA TO OFF-CONTRACT PAULO

Canberra captain Jarrod Croker has made a plea for off-contract forward Junior Paulo to re-sign with the Raiders.

Speculation continues about Paulo’s future in the nation’s capital, with Parramatta reportedly set to announce the 24-year-old’s return to the club on a mammoth four-year deal.

But Croker says Paulo is yet to tell the Raiders of his plans despite a media report on Wednesday saying he had accepted the Eels deal.

Paulo said on Tuesday he was weighing up “several” offers from Sydney clubs, but was yet to make a decision on his future.

Croker called Paulo a “fantastic bloke” and is desperate for him to remain at the Raiders, adding the players have not given up hope he will continue at the club he left Parramatta for in 2016.

“I’ve heard what you’ve heard so until Junior makes a decision he’ll tell us straight away whatever he’s going to do and we’ll go with that,” Croker said on Thursday.

“He’s a really good guy and the boys love playing with him and we want him to stay.

“It’d be really sad to see him leave if that’s the case, but Junior’s got a young family and I’m sure he’ll make a decision based on that as well.” If Paulo does sign with the Eels on the reported four-year $2.8 million deal, Canberra won’t release him before the end of this season.

The Raiders’ other key front rowers Josh Papalii and Shannon Boyd are also coming out of contract.

- AAP

lucablight

First Grade
Might be an admission that our cap was f**ked at the time and we could not keep a promising prop.

With the benefit of hindsight sacrificing players to get under the cap didn’t give us any anything. Would have been better to play for no points. The Foran scenario really screwed us over. If we’d known he’d leave at the end of the season we might have been able to do things differently.

EelsFan05

Bench
Might be an admission that our cap was f**ked at the time and we could not keep a promising prop.
Is it also an admission that we need bigger, more powerful props? Btw, where the f**k is Pou to argue that the props we have are fine.

parra pete

Referee
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-players-slam-rumours-of-rift-with-arthur-20180419-p4zall.html

Furious Parramatta players held an honesty session to address rumours Brad Arthur had lost the dressing room, vowing to earn the wins required to take the pressure off their coach.

As soon as reports emerged this week that Arthur had fallen out with his charges, Brad Takairangi posted a link to the offending article on the players’ group chat. What followed was a frank exchange between the squad in which the players backed Arthur and took responsibility for the Eels’ poor performances.

Plenty of support: Eels stars have come out in support of Brad Arthur.

Photo: NRL Imagery
The players subsequently gathered at their training headquarters at Old Saleyards Reserve, away from the coaching staff, to address the issue.

“It’s stupid,” Clint Gutherson said of the Arthur speculation.

“One of the boys saw it on Instagram and put it on the group chat.

“Everyone was furious about it because it’s a lie. He has got so much respect from all of the team and staff and the club. Someone’s just writing that just to get some hits or something.

“It’s absolutely stupid.

“We spoke about it the other day. We feel for Brad and the staff, they put so much effort into us, helping us get the win and the upper hand. They have sleepless nights trying to find ways for us to win and we keep going out there and losing.

“I feel bad for him and the staff more than ourselves. We’re letting them down and they’re going into bat for us, why we’re not winning. We’re just not playing well.”

The Eels opened their season with six straight losses, sparking a flurry of rumours ranging from the coach losing the team to the players turning on each other. Arthur has made a raft of changes in a bid to exact revenge on a Manly side that flogged them 54-0 just a month ago.

“We can’t have people talking about our coach like that when it’s not right,” utility Will Smith said.

“That got under a lot of the boys’ skin, that we read that sort of stuff.

“That’s far from the truth. Everyone loves Brad and the rest of the coaching staff here.

“I haven’t been at a club where the coach works as hard as he does for the team.”

Kane Evans, who joined the Eels from the Roosters in the off-season, said the side is desperate to start winning to put the rumours to bed.

“[Arthur] puts his heart and soul into everything and we haven’t been performing as players and it looks bad for him,” Evans said.

“But he’s the man.

“He’s invested so much time into us and we have to pay it back to him and the club and the fans.”

Paramatta forward Peni Terepo said there was “a lot of tension in the room” when they gathered privately to support their coach.

“That’s pretty touchy, the stuff about the coaches there, especially for Brad,” Terepo said.

“If anything else, we want to play for him and the rest of the coaching staff too, they play really hard.

“We’ve had a great couple of seasons and to see what’s come out, a lot of negative stuff like that, it does piss you off a little bit.”

Arthur dropped co-captain Beau Scott and winger Bevan French from the side that lost to the Sharks in a reshuffle that includes the return of Jarryd Hayne on the wing. Gutherson, who made a successful return from his second ACL setback last weekend, remains at fullback.

“He’s let me build my career here,” Gutherson said of Arthur.

“I didn’t really come from anything, I’d only played a handful of games, and he’s had trust in me that I would get better and what he saw would come out. It has eventually and I owe pretty much my whole career to him at this stage and am forever grateful.”

parra pete

Referee
Frustrated Eels players clash in brutal training session: ‘Timmy was bleeding’
EELS

• April 19, 2018 5:35pm
  • Source: AAP
MTk0MjAxODh8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvYWQwNDdiOTkwODUwZWQ5YjdiYTFiOGM0YTZiZTlmOTB8MTk0MjAxODg=

Eels captain Tim Mannah and teammates during Parramatta training.Source: News Corp Australia
PARRAMATTA’S frustrations from their winless start to the NRL season have turned into flat-out aggression at each other on the training paddock.

Just three days out from Sunday’s clash with Manly, the Eels’ opposed session on Thursday turned physical with several players putting big hits on their teammates.

The session was a significant move away from regular opposed sessions, which often involved light contact and players grabbing teammates rather than putting shots on them.

Players didn’t shy away from the facts afterwards, with prop Kane Evans among those to detail the most-physical session since the pre-season.

“Someone hit someone and they dropped the ball and the other team was yahooing and it was on,” Evans said.

“A few boys got pumped. I got pumped too.

“Haynesy (Jarryd Hayne) was firing up coming back; Daniel Alvaro, Timmy (Mannah) was bleeding. Everyone was going hard. It was mad.”

MTk0MjAxODh8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDQvMTkvNjc1NjUxXzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODA0MTkxNzAxNDEuanBnfDE5NDIwMTg4

'It's crap': Gutho backs Brad

0:19
Coaching staff and players embraced the session, after the Eels turned in one of their most-disappointing performances of the year in Saturday’s loss to Canberra.

Parramatta rank last in the NRL for attack and third worst for defence, and have slumped in almost every key statistical category from last year despite their largely unchanged roster.

“He (coach Brad Arthur) said that he saw our identity and who the Eels were,” Evans said after training.

“To see everyone fired up and flying at the line, hitting each other, was pretty good.

“The frustration is building up. It’s doing heads in.

“It was intense. If we play the way we trained today, we will be on fire.”

It comes just days after veteran broadcaster Ray Hadley claimed Arthur had lost the Eels’ dressing room after the 0-6 start.

But players have firmly shut down the suggestions, after Arthur had helped lead them through the salary-cap saga and into last year’s finals series.

“It’s crap, mate,” fullback Clint Gutherson said.

“He’s got so much respect here at the club and around the NRL. We don’t want to hear it ... it’s absolute rubbish.

'Cricket the play for Parra'

2:53
“Brad goes out to bat every week for us and we’re letting him down and letting the whole staff down. Going out there and putting these performances together, it’s not good.”

Gutherson said he had pulled up fine from his first game on return from a knee injury in the Raiders loss.

He forms part of a new-look backline this week, with Hayne rushed back from a hip injury to play on the wing. Five players were dropped including young star Bevan French.

“You’ve seen him play Origin and stuff on the wing and he’s been the best player on the field,” Gutherson said.

“He’s still going to inject himself on the wing ... and bring the spark that he has.”