What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Job Hunting

King hit

Coach
I've been applying for jobs actively for a couple of weeks and wondering what other people do when applying. I always apply in roles that suit my experience. I've done 3 years retail experience at Woolworths, Drakes Supa IGA and did some work in a factory about a year ago. I had 2 interviews on Wednesday and have another one at 4,30 today.

What do other people do when applying for jobs? can I have any tips etc

Life's Good

Coach
I've been applying for jobs actively for a couple of weeks and wondering what other people do when applying. I always apply in roles that suit my experience. I've done 3 years retail experience at Woolworths, Drakes Supa IGA and did some work in a factory about a year ago. I had 2 interviews on Wednesday and have another one at 4,30 today.

What do other people do when applying for jobs? can I have any tips etc

Are you targeting retail jobs or looking for a change?

(BTW, I am a supplier to both Drakes & WOW).

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
My method of procuring a job is somewhat unconventional.

My first job came from a mate's dad - I lasted there 14 years.

My second job came from a recommendation from my first employer - I lasted there 2 years.

The third job lasted 15 years after making enquiries from a friend's suggestion. The first and only formal interview I've had came when I applied for a promotion.

My fourth job came from a cold call to the manager of an industry in which I had extensive experience and was hired immediately - lasted there 5 years.

After semi retirement, I was called up to interview by a job agency this morning.

Guess what! I start full time work on Monday after a few years putting my feet up.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am on LinkedIn, people contact me.

I cannot recall the last time I had to "look" for work. It comes find me.

Life's Good

Coach
Mostly retail. I apply for Woolworths quite often had an interview on Wednesday.
If you’re getting interviews that’s always a good start as it means your resume & cover letter have something of interest to whomever is looking.
On the looking it’s all about staying active in the search particularly on job boards(seek, indeed, jora etc). Another option is to think of companies you would like to work for and look on their websites for career pages to see if anything is going(also pays to register as they might contact you). Further to this you might try contacting those companies by phone and ask to speak to someone responsible for hiring staff. This might not be easy with some companies as they are geared to less face to face nowadays until the interview process but there are companies who would admire that sort of interest.
It’s not easy and despite the above the best advice is perseverance.
Best of luck.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Good luck mate, I think you'll be fine, you are getting interviews. So you are the type of person they are looking for. Also a good time to think about new responsibilities or new directions you might want to take on and think about how to lay the platform through experience or education or qualifications.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Tailor your resume to suit the position.
If you do get an interview, make a good impression that you're reliable, punctual, appropriately dressed, polite and sensible.

Employers love that, especially in big companies as it gives them a core group to run shops with - you'd know that well from your time at Woolies and IGA

Pommy

Coach
I am on LinkedIn, people contact me.

I cannot recall the last time I had to "look" for work. It comes find me.

5fe03ddff8bc25ec63b2ae5db308290ee87ceeea1c6f1c1c4d0a035b1af7e66e.jpg

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I feel like I just posted here in 2003, after LWOS.

LinkedIn will never catch on....just never...Why would grown ups want facebook for work.

Nor will DNS ever catch on, a guy once said .

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm fortunate that I've been at he same company since I left school for 17 years. We run businesses within the business so I've done plenty of hiring. I mainly look for personality and enthusiasm, I can teach the rest.

My one big tip would be to drop your resume off personally and ask to speak to the manager. Introduce yourself to them.

If you get the interview do some online research of the company and if you know the name of who is conducting the interview stalk them on social media to see if you have any mutual friends/interests etc.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Good luck with your search.

My tip on top of the rest here is, take keywords into the job interview that you are applying for. That is what interviewers look for - some even only write down the keywords in an answer.

Retail - aware that providing excellent customer service is an essential requirement for a business to grow, good communication skill, friendly & happy personality, good mathematical skills etc etc.

Dress appropriately for the interview - business shirt & pants, decent clean shoes minimum. No need for a suit if you are going for a retail sales job - unless it is in a men's suit shop.;)

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
I am quite a quiet type and still get nervous about interviews. The key is confidence and practice, have an answer to every potential question you can think of and practice them and practice delivering them. It can be hard to think on the spot under pressure but if you have practiced the days before it will be in your head.

Don't get flustered either, slow the interview down to your pace if need be, don't be afraid to take time to think of a response and don't try and blurt it out all at once. If a truely difficult question does stump you, give yourself time and think it through, even ask them to elaborate. It is better to give a slow well thought response than blurt out the first thing that comes to your mind, demonstrating ability to process under pressue is desirable in any field.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I am quite a quiet type and still get nervous about interviews. The key is confidence and practice, have an answer to every potential question you can think of and practice them and practice delivering them. It can be hard to think on the spot under pressure but if you have practiced the days before it will be in your head.

Don't get flustered either, slow the interview down to your pace if need be, don't be afraid to take time to think of a response and don't try and blurt it out all at once. If a truely difficult question does stump you, give yourself time and think it through, even ask them to elaborate. It is better to give a slow well thought response than blurt out the first thing that comes to your mind, demonstrating ability to process under pressue is desirable in any field.
Sometimes, I've actually answered a question by admitting flat out that I don't know. I actually got that job and the employer told me that they really liked the fact that someone was honest enough to admit that instead of fibbing. It's a real fine line.

Latest posts