What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe Williams Retains WBF World Title

ek999

First Grade
Wagga's Joe Williams on top of the world

By Matt Malone

Oct. 19, 2014, 3:30 p.m.

BOXING
WAGGA boxer Joe Williams is on top of the world after outlasting Indonesian opponent Rusmin Kie Raha at Bolton Park Stadium on Saturday night.
Williams successfully retained his World Boxing Federation (WBF) junior welterweight world title and also picked up a World Boxing Association (WBA) Asian title with a unanimous points victory .
The three judges scored the bout 117-111, 116-114 and 119-109, all in Williams' favour, to give the former NRL star a popular victory in front of hundreds of hometown supporters.
Williams was stoked with his performance.
"He (Kie Raha) is one tough dude," Williams said.
"We both landed some good shots on each other, we still traded shots on the inside, we boxed on the outside, it was a really good fight.
"I knew he was going to be tough and he brought everything to the table I expected and more.
"This was a step up in class and thankfully I rose to the occasion."
Williams admitted Saturday night's bout was a true fight.
"The people who came along definitely got entertainment," he said.
"Last time I boxed, this time I fought.
"I knew with this one that I couldn't just box all night.
"Indonesians are real fighters so I knew I had to get in the trenches and wear some.
"My modelling career is gone that's for sure."
Williams, who has retired from rugby league, could fight again as soon as December.
He said the possibilities are endless after Saturday night's victory.
"Who knows," Williams said.
"There is already talk of something in December at a regional level.
"Wagga is one of three places being talked about."
Williams had strong support on Saturday night with a crowd of about 300 people but the accomplished sportsman still lost money on the fight night.
Meantime, fellow Wagga boxer Anthony McCracken warmed up for his New Zealand trip with a majority points decision win over Queensland fighter Kurtis Pegoraro.
Two of the three judges ruled in McCracken's favour, while one had the bout a draw.
McCracken will head to New Zealand next month for the lucrative Last Man Standing fight night.
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/2634529/waggas-joe-williams-on-top-of-the-world/?cs=149

Don't know how respected the WBF Title is but thought it might be of interest as a former NRL player