What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey 2500?

strewth_mate

Bench
I think we've got a very dangerous team as it is, and our forwards can be exceptional in particular. The team just has to have its head screwed on right and it will be very hard to stop :D

ArturiusX

Juniors
Joey will see out next year Im pretty sure, after that its anybodys guess, I think he'll retire if he can't play near 100% though, he's his own worst critic I think.

Burwood

Bench
Rod said:
Most people seem to think that Joey will be done by the end of next year, but I can see him playing until 2008. They made a point on the Sunday Footy Show that Joey is doing what Brad Fittler did and try and take a step back in games in an attempt to prolong his career. We all can see that Joey plays a bit differently than he used to, and with Mullen there supporting him and taking a lot of pressure off him, I think he could play through 2008.

I don't think that Joey's biggest hurdle will be physical exhaustion, but more so on the mental side of things. The guy has achieved everything there is in the game, and I think that at times this year he has struggled for motivation and looked like he would prefer to be elsewhere. Next year will be good for him as he will be playing alongside a new coach who will provide some extra challenges and motivation, but if we have a big year in 2007 i think that Joey will be ready to hang up the boots. He won't have anything else to prove in the game and the novelty of Brian Smith would have worn off.

snapper

Juniors
I think it was interesting how Johns came through the game against the sharks. He looked pretty good taking into account Mullen came off pretty early and Johns had to go back to his role as the half shouldering all the responsibility.

Compare that to the 2 weeks previous when Mullen was doing a lot of the work and Johns still manages to sustain 2 major head-knocks.

My point being that even though he is protecting himself a bit more, doesn't guarantee him safe passage though the rest of the season let alone the next one. Howeever head knocks are one thing, it's the legs that will see the most benefit from him holding himself back a bit.

Ben

Bench
He may be taking a step back but like Burwood as said, he has achieved everything in the game including the all-time point scoring list. He will probably love to have a third Premiership and if we win a Premiership next year then i think he will want to retire on a high. If we win this year i think he may play on realising that our future halves aren't set yet.

jamesgould

Juniors
Ben said:
He may be taking a step back but like Burwood as said, he has achieved everything in the game including the all-time point scoring list. He will probably love to have a third Premiership and if we win a Premiership next year then i think he will want to retire on a high. If we win this year i think he may play on realising that our future halves aren't set yet.

The problem with that is he will make a decision mid-season, as he has said, because he really needs to give the club a chance to do something with all his contract money! So I don't think we'll see him retire straight after a premiership win ...

... and hopefully we see him play through till 2008!!!

knights98

Juniors
One thing to consider is that El Masri was extremly close to going over seas to england the last time he signed with the bulldogs, there was some big money being offered to him but he stayed at the dogs, the next time around he may be tepted to take it with probably only a couple of years left in him by the end of 2007 when he comes off contract with the bulldogs.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
knights98 said:
One thing to consider is that El Masri was extremly close to going over seas to england the last time he signed with the bulldogs, there was some big money being offered to him but he stayed at the dogs, the next time around he may be tepted to take it with probably only a couple of years left in him by the end of 2007 when he comes off contract with the bulldogs.

thats a good point. hopefully he will.

Latest posts