What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey appreciation thread

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I stole this idea off the NRL forum, but I feel it has a better place here. Put in anything regarding Joey in this thread: memories, quotes, pictures, best games you saw him play, etc.

All the best in retirement Joey.

I'll start off with my memory of him which sticks in my mind the most and its the 2005 Origin Series. Most people roundly criticised the inclusion of him in the team for Origins 2 and 3 and he absolutely killed it. Another memory of mine would have to be the 2001 match against the Broncs where he could do no wrong after returning from 8 weeks out with a knee injury.

Just to think that I'm never going to see that brilliance again :(

Stranger

Coach
andrewjohns_narrowweb__300x407,0.jpg

Anything the bloke can't do...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Some banners I've knocked up tonight for ya's:

joey1-ftal.jpg

joey2-simple.jpg

joey3-seven.jpg

Enjoy :)

Gene Krupa

Referee
I'm still in a state of denial. The wife doesn't understand cause she's never been as passionate about something as I am with the Knights. And I seriously thought Joey was the bees knees. Favourite player, for all his faults.

CIMG2074.jpg

Jake doesn't understand. I told him but he saw Joey on TV tonight and said that he was going to see him play when we go see Cronulla in a few weeks time. :( I knida envy his ignorance. He's not feeling the emptyness I am atm.

Favourate Joey moment is the '97 GF and the 2005 Origin series. The Origin he finally dominated.

Live though, 6-Jul-2001 Marathon Stadium. Knights 44 Broncos 0. Joey had been out injured for a few weeks and we were in a form slump. Came back against a strong Brisbane side to score 2 tries and kick 6/8 in a domanant performance that set up our run to the premiership title.

:(

97 gf..to even think of going the blind side..even tho he had Id it as a weakness ..with 10 seconds remaining..that was pure courage and gold

a semi against canterbury..went to extra time i believe..never seen a better display in a losing team..he was totally gone at the end of time

coming back agains tbrisbane at their strongest after an injury..set a winning record.

a game against canberra..scored a thousand points..canberra coach said..wrap him in cooton wool..

sitting thru all the NSW games praying for him not to get injured

2001 Gf..and him ripping the goosters a new one in the firast week of semis...scoring a try and spinning the ball on his hand after stepping thru about 30m from the try oline..sterlo said..'hes the best iv ever seen"

playing cronulla..every single time..but at the end of a game..he went up to kimmorley and they playfully bumped chests together

cant wait for there DVD to relive many more

fred_knight

Juniors
I went to line up for a signed joey dvd in dick smith Penrith, it was my engagement day and the line was out the door, my now wife did not want to wait as we had a party to prepare for, so i asked the lady at the counter for a poster that was on the wall, she took my number and said she would call me..half an hour later she called, not only got the poster but she mentioned my dilemma to Joey and he signed the poster wishing me all the best with our engagement..that poster had prize possesion on my wall, untill my wife ripped it in half one night after an argument, she still apologises to this day, it was over 4 years ago ha ha..

Thanks Joey, for all the memories and the times i have talked you up to all my mates and they have had to agree with me cause you are the best player to have played the game

stevo

Juniors
The Broncs game in 01, is that the one where he cheekily spun the ball on his finger after a try. I loved that. So did my dad. It was Joey at his best. I'll definately miss that grin. He truly was on fire when that came out.

Alex28

Coach
97 Grand Final - ruptured lung, had no right to be there. Won us our first premiership completely against the odds.

astrogirl

First Grade
He is (was I guess) my fave player - never used to say that cos it seemed so predictable!

Aaah the news s_cks! Origin was never the same without Joey.

cram

Bench
For me the one lasting memory I have is the 2001 final against Cronulla. Johns has just kicked a 40/20...he runs along the pitch and jumps mid air with his fists pumping...it was great to see live and makes a wonderful still picture and for me signifies the passion of a great footballer.

I didnt realise the impact that this would have on me. Yesterday on the way home from work I found myself going past EAS for no particular reason other then think and share a few quite thoughts for the greatest player I have ever seen.

Ben

Bench
oh so many memories. Origin probably stands out for me because it was most recent. Finally dominated Origin in 2005 with a superb performance. In the first half all the QLD's expected him to run the ball but instead he threw cut out passes, inside balls and set up a host of tries. Then in the second half the QLD's expected him to throw the ball out wide and play the expansive game, but instead he stepped inside and broke the line on numerous occasions.

Was the allround footballer, beautful to watch with the ball in his hands, and never took step back in defence. Had the brutal defensive game to go with his attacking game. Not to mention his football brain, he literally played the game a couple of rucks in advance of the actual play. THANKYOU JOEY!

~bedsy~

First Grade
He was just such a great player to watch. 97 GF with that pass will always be in my mind. Not to mention the games he played for the Blues.
He is the best player I have ever seen play the game. I'll never forget the first time I saw him play, it was in Tamworth actually.

Latest posts