What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey weighs in, makes a mountain of sense

PhilGould

Bench
I would not mind giving Hodkinson the job simply to see if a completely neutral player can come in and bring his previous club's culture with him. Des Hasler just bleeds success. Mullo is the logical choice though.
I agree with this. We need to change the culture of losing and mediocrity and we need a strong leader to do so. Mullen just screams 'local boys club' to me as much as Matt Gidley & Rick Stone do. T. Sims or Hodkinson would be my pick.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's a bit of a worry when Mullen is our best choice for captain. I just don't think he has the intestinal or testicular fortitude to be who we need when the going gets tough. He's prone to doing the fade.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It's a bit of a worry when Mullen is our best choice for captain. I just don't think he has the intestinal or testicular fortitude to be who we need when the going gets tough. He's prone to doing the fade.

I disagree, I feel that Mullen played his best football when he captained the side regularly in Kurt's absence a couple of years ago. He'd be my first choice captain, Rochow should be his vice captain I think.

Spot On

Coach
If giving Mullo the 'c' next to his name will get him playing his best footy more often then he's one of few choices. We really don't have much else.

Incorrect

Coach
Speaking as a non-Knights supporter, Rochow is the guy that came to mind for the captaincy. I think he's representative of the type of player the joint was built on when they entered the comp and what they need now. No nonsense, tough, big hearted a la Glanville, Butterfield and those guys.

With Rochow's injury issues this year it probably sounds silly to say this now, but I would put a line through Mullen simply because he seems to be on the sideline a little too often. Plus I think a fresher face and someone part of the longer term plans at the club so Rochow would be my pick.

Alex28

Coach
It would probably help the club more is if Joey did less commentating from the sidelines and get back to Newcastle and give his mates and the club that made him a hand...

Loose Cannon

Bench
I agree with those saying Mullen has played his best football when he has been captain. In those instances, it seemed as though he enjoyed the extra responsibility, and the results were evident.

Without Captain Brainfart overplaying his hand next year, I see Mullen showing real leadership qualities, especially with a deputy in Hodkinson, who can also be trusted to run the play.

Swarzey

Bench
I've refrained from saying this because I'm sure someone is going to say something but 2016 should be one of his best seasons. No pressure to perform a role he's no comfortable with and the captaincy tag has always led to greater performances. As long as he remains fit and can work comfortably with Hodkinson, we should really see the best of Mullen.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I disagree, I feel that Mullen played his best football when he captained the side regularly in Kurt's absence a couple of years ago. He'd be my first choice captain, Rochow should be his vice captain I think.

To all those that question Mullen, think about where we have been losing games in the last 5 years. Forwards. He has consistently played behind a beaten pack. His kicking game has been shit at times, not this year.

He is a superb defender, he knocks big forwards on their arse like Joey used to do. He has played injured through 4 of the last 5 seasons and continued to sit big blokes on thier arse (see above) in a losing team. He tries his guts out but might not be good enough, though in my humble opinion in another side he would have won them a comp.

Say what you will about him, but please dont question his commitment, completely unfair. With the right team and people around him he could lead us to a win. I would question why the f**k he has stayed with us rather than his ability. He has had offers.....

Still Nutty

Juniors
My main reason for raising this was that I didn't see the natural successor to Gidley (although Scott would have been a lay down Misère if he stayed for mine)

My original reflection on Mullen not being the right man was two fold and did relate to a comparison of what Joey brought to leadership.

The break from the 'old' was a key component but the other was the leadership quality...and not so much by example because his commitment is there and improved considerably this year since Mason's influence has been removed. It is more that 'leader of men' role that I'm not sure he possesses...that sort of leadership when the team is behind the goal line after a try is scored to reset their minds and get the best out of the team.

I sit near the goal line at home games and it is not something he seems to have naturally, it is mostly left to others.

I sincerely rate Rochow very highly but again, I'm not sure he has the smarts or the leadership skills for that type of role.

My concern with Tariq is that he is a bit of a larrikin and clown...not a serious character flaw but I'm not sure how he'd go curbing that if he was given a leadership role...hence why I thought Korbin...and again I'm not sure where his man leadership skills lie.

So I think I'll be happy to see Mullen get the gig but it does highlight an underlying problem for the club in leadership skills that also needs to be developed among the playing ranks

Jobdog

Live Update Team
From what I've read the players are on notice and will be playing for their future in the club over the next 6 games.
Accountability appears to be happening.
I'm sure they made a similar threat two or three weeks ago and nothing changed.

We got half a performance against the Titans and that rubbish last week. Why will the next six weeks be different?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
And just on the culture of the place.

Two or three weeks ago Chris Houston and Clint Newton returned from injuries the week after Joseph Tapine probably played his best game of his career. What happened? The two old blokes returned straight into first grade and the young bloke was shafted...

Jono078

Referee
And just on the culture of the place.

Two or three weeks ago Chris Houston and Clint Newton returned from injuries the week after Joseph Tapine probably played his best game of his career. What happened? The two old blokes returned straight into first grade and the young bloke was shafted...
That's because Stone used a "depth chart", I'm just about positive on this.

I like that Bedsey has gone back to the bare basics of coaching, perform and be selected. No politics behind selections.

Frederick

Staff member
That's because Stone used a "depth chart", I'm just about positive on this.

I like that Bedsey has gone back to the bare basics of coaching, perform and be selected. No politics behind selections.
Well, from what he's said. We'll see if he sticks to his words though. Bedsy did play with and is mates with 90% of the players afterall.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah, I did hesitate to write that because the proof isn't there yet lol. But from what he's said so far, I do like the sound of his approach.

Latest posts