What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Skandalis primed for Comeback

Parra Future

Juniors
Come on Tigers Fans, I thought you would have picked this story up. Does this make you all feel a bit better about the upcoming year, or do you want them to go after someone else for that 25th spot on your roster?

Link : http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25145361-14823,00.html

John Skandalis primed for comeback

By Josh Massoud | March 06, 2009 12:00am

0,,6516854,00.jpg
Wests Tigers hero ... John Skandalis is in line for an NRL comeback. Photograph: Brett Costello / The Daily Telegraph

WESTS Tigers hero John Skandalis last night declared himself available for a surprise NRL comeback after agreeing to resume his career in Australia. Having quit the NRL for England in 2006, the 32-year-old crowd favourite will pull on the boots for Tigers junior club Western Suburbs Magpies in the NSW Cup this season. Skandalis recently signed an NSWRL contract with the Magpies, making him eligible for selection with the joint venture should Tigers coach Tim Sheens need to call upon his services this season.
"At the moment I've signed on to play with Magpies and that's where my focus is," Skandalis told The Daily Telegraph last night.
"But I suppose if something happens at the Tigers during the year, if there's a few injuries and I'm playing all right, then I'd throw my hand up. But as yet nothing has really been discussed with the Tigers.

Skandalis made his last NRL appearance at Leichhardt Oval in August 2006, in a thumping 52-18 victory over Souths that was promoted as his official farewell.
He spent the next two seasons with UK Super League club Huddersfield before returning Down Under late last year to accept a job as Macarthur area liaison officer with the Tigers. It was widely assumed Skandalis's contribution would be restricted to the office, but the evergreen prop last night said reports of his retirement were premature.
"I never officially retired," he said. "I was going to play park footy, but then the Magpies came in with an offer. It's nice to be able to finish my career where I started it."
And Skandalis, 33 this season, scoffed at suggestions he is too old for the NRL.
"Age is not a factor for me - so long as the body and mind are willing then anyone is capable," he said.  THE Wests Tigers take on NSW Cup team Shellharbour, feeder club for St George Illawarra, in a trial at Ron Costello Oval, Shellharbour from 7.35pm tonight.

Palms

Juniors
It still amazes me how, given out roster, we can't fill up our 25 man squad considering most of them would not make a first grade starting lineup at any other club and at the same time release Fulton over some of the other baggage we have lying around!
The story is misleading though as Skandalis has only put his hand up to say he would be happy to help the tigers out should they fall victim to injury and only if his body was capable of fulfilling such a roll. He quotes "But I suppose if something happens at the Tigers during the year, if there's a few injuries and I'm playing all right, then I'd throw my hand up. But as yet nothing has really been discussed with the Tigers."
So I'm stil pretty confident we wont be seeing him again in our first grade team unless something dire happens

It still amazes me how, given out roster, we can't fill up our 25 man squad considering most of them would not make a first grade starting lineup at any other club and at the same time release Fulton over some of the other baggage we have lying around!
The story is misleading though as Skandalis has only put his hand up to say he would be happy to help the tigers out should they fall victim to injury and only if his body was capable of fulfilling such a roll. He quotes "But I suppose if something happens at the Tigers during the year, if there's a few injuries and I'm playing all right, then I'd throw my hand up. But as yet nothing has really been discussed with the Tigers."
So I'm stil pretty confident we wont be seeing him again in our first grade team unless something dire happens

if he playing well u pick him no matter what
we lack props Skandalis is like the missing bench piece we need
imagine this bench
8.Gibbs
9.Farah
10.Galloway
11.Heighnington
12.Ellis
13.Halatau

14.Moltzen
15.Laurie
16.Payton
17.Skandalis
that is one huge bench
but like i said only if skando inform

simon says

First Grade
I'd be keener to see Matty Davidson givena a run before Skando.

But still it would be great to see the big feller run out in the WT jersey.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Skando had run his race when he headed overseas. Having said that, I'd prefer him in the front row to either Payne or Galea. Don't mind Galea, just not in the front row.

tiger_nick

Bench
Skando had run his race when he headed overseas. Having said that, I'd prefer him in the front row to either Payne or Galea. Don't mind Galea, just not in the front row.

agree on both. skando spent a lot of 06 on the bench as he was having little impact. when he was in his prime he was amongst the best in the business, however even in 06 he was looking past it.

payne and galea shouldnt be playing front row for bret let alone in the nrl. galea off the bench as a second rower is fine in my books, he is a briliant defender, something that we desperatly need,

westie

Bench
How can you possibly want Skando to replace Gibbs? 2006 Gibbs was out-performing Skando who is now aging far worse than was apparent at the time. Gibbs hasn't recovered from that O'Meley hit - but if he can get that agression and confidence back, Skando won't be able to match him.

How can you possibly want Skando to replace Gibbs? 2006 Gibbs was out-performing Skando who is now aging far worse than was apparent at the time. Gibbs hasn't recovered from that O'Meley hit - but if he can get that agression and confidence back, Skando won't be able to match him.

FFS how long will this garbage excuse run for. IT WAS 3 F**KING SEASONS AGO! How long does he need to get over it?

super_coach

First Grade
Gibbs is the most over rated player in the club. As for Skando,thanks for your efforts over the years but if and when our frontrow stocks run low the likes of davidson are the ones we need to be looking at.

Eddie.

Bench
How Gibbs hasn't recovered from that O'Meley hit - but if he can get that agression and confidence back, Skando won't be able to match him.

Correct me if im wrong, but wasn't that hit by O'Mealy in March of 2006??

A Full 3 Years ago??

If Gibbs hasn't recovered yet then don't hold your breath.

Im not expecting anything great from him this season. Just like every other season.

innsaneink

Referee
Shrek flattened him 2 weeks ago, and Gibbs didnt even have the ball. :lol:
Hes bryces nightmare.

simon says

First Grade

Bwahahahahah!!!

One of yer best.

The only time Gibbs has outperformed Skando is at the races and dodging cab fares.

Id take Skando over that bum any day of the week.

Keeping in mind also that Skando was on one leg doe much of his last year.If he is fit Id be stoked.

westie

Bench
He clearly hasn't been the same since. It's undeniable. Whether or not he should be over it is a different story. Everyone saw his ability back then though. O'Meley picked him out and Mason reacted because he was becoming a good, arrogant player.

sh*t like that can take time. It took me ages to get back confidence just to run after doing a knee. It's all up-stairs - I bet he would be at a different level if we had someone like Tallis or Gillmeister or Cement on the coaching staff to get him right.

spaceman

Juniors
With players like Crocker and Eastwood avaliable our mob wil give a pensioner who retired from NRL 3 years ago...we need someone in management to put some common sense into this place...were a joke