What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton is a much better player than Jamie Soward (Reasons why)

can't believe the hype around Soward, He has really gelled into the spirit of the team, and has done absolutely nothing the last month and certainly has choked towards the business end of the season as per usual including friday night where he was very quiet.

I had a look at Soward and Sutton's player activity from 2004 onwards, Soward didn't feature much at all until 2007 where he was dropped half the time. He played for the Chooks in 2006 and had a fair season in limited opportunities (again poses the question overall was a good enough at that time).

Soward mananged to hold down an NRL spot (Just) with Matthew Head knocking at the door but certainly wasn't setting the world alight.

Since his debut in 2005, Jamie Soward has posed as the most in-consistent half I've seen in terms of establishing into a mature footballer. Sure he has played very well this season but i put 100% of it down to the Bennett factor and being in the culture of a top team, His only real posession is his running game imo, That is the only fascination of Soward's game that has really hypnotised the rugby league community, In terms of ball skills he is simply no better than any other half in the game.

Ever since Sutton debuted in 2004, He has always posed a threat for representative football, In-consistency and especially in the earlier stages playing in a horrific side didn't help his cause.

He has had two City appearances and made the Prime Ministers XIII on two occasions which happens to be four more representative appearances than Mr Soward. The Aboriginal XIII game was really not much of an achievement in terms of getting into the side, Dennis Moran who has been playing park footy for 5 or 6 years got a spot.

Soward wasn't even considered for City/Country this year Why?, Because he is not good enough, He needs to show consistency over a number of years, show that he has real potential and he can hold onto it.

Campese had an awesome year last year, similar to Soward this year, and look where Campese has ended up, Has been horribly in-consistent all season and when he has been bad, he was absolutely horrific.

That's what happens with Late bloomers, They don't have the experience of playing at an elite level when they were younger and they certainly won't be able hold form as it's only temporary.

Sutton however has natural talent and has been playing at an elite level throughout his schoolboys days and throughout the NRL, Has really taken steps forward and not been in-consistent with his progression. Soward has just been up down like a yo-yo which is a big benefactor of players not being able to cut it as a top-line footballer.

Joe Williams showed up Joey Johns and Thursto in his time, He was talked up at a ridiculous level, But look where he is now?, Playing for Leigh (2nd division english side).

Track record wise with other players being late bloomers is not good at all, Remember Matt King?, An absolute star at melbourne made australia and origin and everything, Reports from England is that he has been the worst ever Aussie Import to go to the English Super League. He didn't debut until he was nearly 23. If looks could kill.

David Williams?, Record one of the worst origin performances in a long time after having a great breakout season with Manly being on the backline of the premiers, He made australia against PNG etc. He is horribly in-consistent it's not funny. Has one of the worst hands for a winger in the comp, It just reminds me of Manu Vatuvei early on. But Vatuvei also was a promising young junior that didn't come from nowhere.

Scott Porter?, I don't think he will last either, Debuted at 24, I don't see him hanging around for too much longer based on the above examples.

Even though Soward was young when his debuted for the chooks what he has in common with most of the above is his form came from nowhere with no consistency of potential being shown previously.

Soward had his best year by a mile this year, finishing off the season with 14 line breaks, 16 line-break assists, 26 try-assists playing for the top side in the competition.

Johnny Sutton who has been playing for a horribly in-consistent side with injury in the back end of the season with limited support players at times, Finished off with 8 line-breaks, 23 line-break assists and 27 try assists which is leading the comp unless Campo makes more than 1 try-assist today, I believe that happens to add up to more attacking assists than Soward and also Campese playing equal games with Campese and two games less than Soward.

I firmly believe Sutton is far the suprerior player playing in a in-consistent side.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
can't believe the hype around Soward, He has really gelled into the spirit of the team, and has done absolutely nothing the last month and certainly has choked towards the business end of the season as per usual including friday night where he was very quiet.

I had a look at Soward and Sutton's player activity from 2004 onwards, Soward didn't feature much at all until 2007 where he was dropped half the time. He played for the Chooks in 2006 and had a fair season in limited opportunities (again poses the question overall was a good enough at that time).

Soward mananged to hold down an NRL spot (Just) with Matthew Head knocking at the door but certainly wasn't setting the world alight.

Since his debut in 2005, Jamie Soward has posed as the most in-consistent half I've seen in terms of establishing into a mature footballer. Sure he has played very well this season but i put 100% of it down to the Bennett factor and being in the culture of a top team, His only real posession is his running game imo, That is the only fascination of Soward's game that has really hypnotised the rugby league community, In terms of ball skills he is simply no better than any other half in the game.

Ever since Sutton debuted in 2004, He has always posed a threat for representative football, In-consistency and especially in the earlier stages playing in a horrific side didn't help his cause.

He has had two City appearances and made the Prime Ministers XIII on two occasions which happens to be four more representative appearances than Mr Soward. The Aboriginal XIII game was really not much of an achievement in terms of getting into the side, Dennis Moran who has been playing park footy for 5 or 6 years got a spot.

Soward wasn't even considered for City/Country this year Why?, Because he is not good enough, He needs to show consistency over a number of years, show that he has real potential and he can hold onto it.

Campese had an awesome year last year, similar to Soward this year, and look where Campese has ended up, Has been horribly in-consistent all season and when he has been bad, he was absolutely horrific.

That's what happens with Late bloomers, They don't have the experience of playing at an elite level when they were younger and they certainly won't be able hold form as it's only temporary.

Sutton however has natural talent and has been playing at an elite level throughout his schoolboys days and throughout the NRL, Has really taken steps forward and not been in-consistent with his progression. Soward has just been up down like a yo-yo which is a big benefactor of players not being able to cut it as a top-line footballer.

Joe Williams showed up Joey Johns and Thursto in his time, He was talked up at a ridiculous level, But look where he is now?, Playing for Leigh (2nd division english side).

Track record wise with other players being late bloomers is not good at all, Remember Matt King?, An absolute star at melbourne made australia and origin and everything, Reports from England is that he has been the worst ever Aussie Import to go to the English Super League. He didn't debut until he was nearly 23. If looks could kill.

David Williams?, Record one of the worst origin performances in a long time after having a great breakout season with Manly being on the backline of the premiers, He made australia against PNG etc. He is horribly in-consistent it's not funny. Has one of the worst hands for a winger in the comp, It just reminds me of Manu Vatuvei early on. But Vatuvei also was a promising young junior that didn't come from nowhere.

Scott Porter?, I don't think he will last either, Debuted at 24, I don't see him hanging around for too much longer based on the above examples.

Even though Soward was young when his debuted for the chooks what he has in common with most of the above is his form came from nowhere with no consistency of potential being shown previously.

Soward had his best year by a mile this year, finishing off the season with 14 line breaks, 16 line-break assists, 26 try-assists playing for the top side in the competition.

Johnny Sutton who has been playing for a horribly in-consistent side with injury in the back end of the season with limited support players at times, Finished off with 8 line-breaks, 23 line-break assists and 27 try assists which is leading the comp unless Campo makes more than 1 try-assist today, I believe that happens to add up to more attacking assists than Soward and also Campese playing equal games with Campese and two games less than Soward.

I firmly believe Sutton is far the suprerior player playing in a in-consistent side.
LOL @ suggesting Sutton has been consistent throughout his career.

Ghoulies

Bench
You don't get it.

In terms of progressing with his footy from year to year, he has been consistent.

Soward has been up and down from year to year.
You're not really making any sense. The only difference between Sutton and Soward's career paths is that when Soward underperformed, his coach/team would dump him. Sutton has had the good fortune/misfortune (depending on how you look at things) of playing for a team so poor that they couldn't afford to drop him regardless of how out of sorts he was.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Re: John Sutton is a much better player than Jamie Soward (Reasons why)

I know .. because he has led his teams attack to the minor premiership - no wait

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You don't get it.

In terms of progressing with his footy from year to year, he has been consistent.

Soward has been up and down from year to year.
No I get it. One is a front runner for the Dally M, got a minor premiership under his belt, and widely regarded as the best 5/8 running around at the moment. The other is probably wearing a skirt and sinking plenty of cans after his last game for the season for mad monday.

You wrote a ridiculously long post proving the ineptness of your teams depth, and nothing else really.

Sutton is a talented player, but he is the very definition of inconsistent. Yet you're arguing that Soward is worse because he's been dropped in the past? Soward has been arguably the most consistent player in the NRL this year, Sutton isn't even close.

But whatever helps you cope with not making the finals.

Ridders

Coach
You're not really making any sense. The only difference between Sutton and Soward's career paths is that when Soward underperformed, his coach/team would dump him. Sutton has had the good fortune/misfortune (depending on how you look at things) of playing for a team so poor that they couldn't afford to drop him regardless of how out of sorts he was.

:thumn Well put

Didgi

:lol:

Nice thread.

Most players have bad seasons somewhere in their career, mainly at the start. Your Wayne Bennett example does not mean anything, just proven how sh*t your coach is. Soward needed some guidance and decent coaching to really hit good form, which he has done this year with some experienced plaers in the team. On the other hand, no one wants to go to the Rabbitohs.

Being dropped is often the most important part in any athlete's career. It means he needed to go back and look at himself, and there were better performing players in front of him.

Not yet realising your potential does not mean inconsistency.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Ill Happily take Mullen over both any day.. and sutton and soward are basically the same one day they are brilliant next horrible