What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton

Listening to 2SM this arvo,Grahame Hughes and Peter Tunks both believe John Sutton will get a gig for NSW this year if he performs well in opening rounds of this season.Also Graham said we would be mad to play Sutto at 5/8,when we have Craig Wing there.He (like myself) believes Sutto is best suited to lock,but acknowledged that he is also a top ball playing 5/8.
Sorry Dave.

Where do you put wing then?
But yeah, ive always thought that sutton would be a top player for NSW and i think it was unlucky for him to miss out last season. I think though that Sutton could be an option for nsw 5/8th or a definite lock as Hughes and Tunks said if he performs well in the first few weeks.
But yeah, unless wing and capewell arent avalible, i wouldnt bother with him playing 5/8th.

list 1 to 10 and you have a pretty deadly looking side on paper....will be interesting to see the 10 in action come round 1 [if its the 10 im thinking of.

coach

I have always said, in fact if I remember rightly I was the first one to say that Sutton should play lock. Thats where I believe he is best suited.

If I was picking the team I would have Sutton in #13. But since I am not and Taylor is I suspect he wil have #6 on his back.

I have always said, in fact if I remember rightly I was the first one to say that Sutton should play lock. Thats where I believe he is best suited.

If I was picking the team I would have Sutton in #13. But since I am not and Taylor is I suspect he wil have #6 on his back.

Again though ill bring up the point of where do you put craig wing if sutto is playing 5/8th?

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Wingy can play anywhere in the backline & Hooker as well he is pretty gifted & will not let us down wherever he plays. It is good to be talking about a footballer & not a prentender like Hegarty lets not bring him into this thread AM & Dave should be barred. They both said they would not support Souths if Hegs went so lets hope its finally good bye to the three of them!
Again though ill bring up the point of where do you put craig wing if sutto is playing 5/8th?

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Wingy can play anywhere in the backline & Hooker as well he is pretty gifted & will not let us down wherever he plays. It is good to be talking about a footballer & not a prentender like Hegarty lets not bring him into this thread AM & Dave should be barred. They both said they would not support Souths if Hegs went so lets hope its finally good bye to the three of them!

wing can't play any where in the back line. he is not built for centre and is too good to be on the wing. and come on, hooker? we have on of the best hookers in the game, so wingy wont even get a look in at number 9.

This si proving my point to anyone who thinks sutton can just go to 5/8th. It would displace the whole squad. If ya put sutton in 5/8th, you get rid of wing completely, its the only possible alternate.

Dave Q

Coach

Oh bloody boo hoo.

We said we would have to consider our Souths support. Thats understandable when a hero leaves.

Earth to Appin: people are entitled to have a different view Appin.

AM and I like Hegs...and you make out like we are child-murderers.

Nobody is making you agree or forcing you to have a view. We dont want you barred because you dont like Hegs.

So man the fug up and show some tolerance.

(cough)

Back to topic:

Sutto is up to 5/8 and anywhere along the backline.

Wing can play lock.

In my view, Wing is still a much better player than Sutto.

We have the depth this year so....

We can have our cake and we can stuff it into our mouths as well!

Wing in lock? We speciafically bought him for 5/8th. John Sutton could be a rep player for NSW this year and id prefer him at lock on the basis that i would keep Gallen out and not just that, that sutton has played lock for 3yrs nearly and to move wing too lock would be idiotic based on how small in size he is compared to sutto.

Dave Q

Coach
Wing is an accomplished defender and a creative player.

There is virtually no position he cant compete in.

At lock he can do all kinds of things from the base of the scrum. Defences would have nightmares about the combination of Luke/Wing/Sandow and Sutton. Evasive, elusive and very deceptive.

In defence he can be adequately reinforced by appropriate positioning of surrounding players.

Wing can step and pass better than Sutto.

5/8ths these days are less intense than they used to be.

Of course, I have a lot of time for Sutto, always have. He can rise to be a good 5/8. He is magic.

Last edited:

bunny hop

Juniors
Sutton is in a great position to be one of the top ranked locks in the game.Now bird is out of the way he is in my opinion the next cab off the rank to play for NSW.To play him at 5/8 again with wing and issac in the team would be a waste.Sutton is a great wide running lock and thats where he should stay.

Sutton is in a great position to be one of the top ranked locks in the game.Now bird is out of the way he is in my opinion the next cab off the rank to play for NSW.To play him at 5/8 again with wing and issac in the team would be a waste.Sutton is a great wide running lock and thats where he should stay.
I think the only problem sutton has is that the NSW selectors will stil have their heads up their ass about pickling souths players and pick gallen.

bunny hop

Juniors
Yeh, your probably right.I still think sutton has done his apprenticeship in the fringe rep teams.Last time he played for city he had a good solid game.He only played for 30min or so but he did well while he was on.He has always done everything asked of him.I think whoever coaches rep sides shouldn't be coaching nrl.there are to many conflicts of interest.Watch how many sharks players start popping up in rep teams.

Dave Q

Coach
Yeh, your probably right.I still think sutton has done his apprenticeship in the fringe rep teams.Last time he played for city he had a good solid game.He only played for 30min or so but he did well while he was on.He has always done everything asked of him.I think whoever coaches rep sides shouldn't be coaching nrl.there are to many conflicts of interest.Watch how many sharks players start popping up in rep teams.

Yeah he played well in that game.

I cant see him not doing something in a rep side this year.

But 5/8 is a calling he can handle easily.