What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns and the Anzac Test.

antonius

Coach
Lets assume Johns is out for two weeks as being predicted. That means he misses the Storm game and the Souths game. I'm wondering if he will play in the test (if selected). If he does then it's a fair bet he wont play the Broncos game that weekend either, so two turns into three. I'm realistic enough to think we will really struggle against the Storm without him, we are a show at beating Souths, and I don't know if we will get the Broncos without him either. Those three weeks could put a severe dent in our progress up into round 9. We are on eight points now, we may well be lucky to be on 10 at the end of round 9.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If he is out for two weeks and gets selected for the test (ruling him out for the Broncos' game), I'd want him to step down. We can't afford to have our best player out for three weeks, no side can.

I couldn't care less about whether he played for Australia, anyway. We'll win either way.

antonius

Coach
CWBush said:
If he is out for two weeks and gets selected for the test (ruling him out for the Broncos' game), I'd want him to step down. We can't afford to have our best player out for three weeks, no side can.

I couldn't care less about whether he played for Australia, anyway. We'll win either way.
The test is being played on Fri May 5th, so in theory he can play against the Broncs on Sunday, but I doubt very much that he would back up two days later. I would like to see him stand down as well, but I don't think he will.

astrogirl

First Grade
I can't see why Joey should have to miss the Anzac test because he was unlucky enough to be injured just prior. He may not get another chance to play in this test.

Say he misses 3 weeks, I'd like to see a solid 6/7 plan for when Joey isn't available, which let's face it, is not unlikely...

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can't see why Joey should have to miss the Anzac test because he was unlucky enough to be injured just prior. He may not get another chance to play in this test.

Because Newcastle pay him to play football for them?

astrogirl

First Grade
Rep footy is also part of the deal. It's for the good of the game itself if the best players play rep games - that's the point. (Yes it can mean lopsided contests, which I loathe, but that's another story entirely.)

I don't think it can be denied that rep aspirations exist in players, and are a motivational force.

antonius

Coach
astrogirl said:

Say he misses 3 weeks, I'd like to see a solid 6/7 plan for when Joey isn't available, which let's face it, is not unlikely...
In theory Astro we could lose all three games that he misses, that leaves us on 8 points after 9 rounds. It's possible that the Cows will be 18 by then, and a whole host of other teams Panthers, Storm, Broncos on 14, Dragons 12, it leaves us with a lot of catching to do. As Chris said, we pay his wages, and up until Stuart spoke to him a couple of weeks ago he wasn't going to play anymore rep stuff, prefering instead to concentrate on winning a premiership with the Knights. Those three weeks could do a lot to damage that aspiration.

astrogirl

First Grade
Must admit I hadn't looked at the ladder that closely - if those teams win all 3 and we lose all 3 we won't be looking good... It's a big if though isn't it?

I can see both sides to the argument, but I'm not going to begrudge Johns if he decides to play.

antonius

Coach
astrogirl said:
Must admit I hadn't looked at the ladder that closely - if those teams win all 3 and we lose all 3 we won't be looking good... It's a big if though isn't it?

I can see both sides to the argument, but I'm not going to begrudge Johns if he decides to play.
I am, he's got nothing to prove in the rep arena, he's done it all. Especially as he came out and said as much before the season started.

Misanthrope

Staff member

I will. Football is about a team winning games on the road to a premiership. It's not about everyone having a good time and pursuing personal acclaim.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
How negative have Newcastle fans become? Already conceding defeat before a whistle has been blown or a point has been scored.

Newcastle is going to have to learn to win without Andrew Johns. He won't be around forever.

Last year's horror run wasn't just because Johns was out, there was a heap of other players injured, and this year the club is better for the experience, with some good finds amongst the ranks that you would never have seen in first grade unless they were forced by the injuries.

Misanthrope

Staff member
:clap:

Well said, JWC. I guess I'm guilty of being a doomsayer, but I wasn't overly confident going down to Melbourne with Johns in the squad. We can win without him, we've shown that, but I think it'll take some teething time. If he's out for two weeks, I'd expect us to lose to Melbourne but we'd have to have found some confidence in time for Souths.

~knights~

Juniors
He might only be out for 1 week

From http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18836820-23214,00.html

Joey hopes to face Rabbitohs
April 17, 2006

NEWCASTLE Knights captain Andrew Johns has been diagnosed with a torn ankle ligament and will be sidelined for one to two weeks.

Johns rolled the ankle during yesterday's 18-16 loss to North Queensland and learned today he'll miss Saturday night's game with Melbourne Storm and possibly South Sydney the following week.

"I've torn a ligament in the ankle and have been told I could miss up to two games, but hopefully it might only be one," he said today.

Johns is keeping positive, and is still looking to make a farewell Test appearance against New Zealand in Brisbane on May 5.

antonius

Coach
observer said:
I hope Johns plays the Test just to show how dominent he is at the highest level.
He's got nothing to prove, he's already shown how good he is at any level.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Yeah I hope he's back sooner rather than later, but I won't be too phased if he's not there for the bunnies clash. We'll smash em either way.

astrogirl said:

I do his getting paid a huge chunk of our salary cap and owes the club for standing by him over the past few seasons.

If we loose 3 on the trot it decreases our chances of making the 8 a huge amount.

Stuzmeister said:
Yeah I hope he's back sooner rather than later, but I won't be too phased if he's not there for the bunnies clash. We'll smash em either way.

I remember people touting our chances last year......(Myself included.)

Pumba

First Grade
LINK
Test selectors to gamble on Johns
Stuart Honeysett and Margie McDonald
April 18, 2006

AUSTRALIA selectors are prepared to gamble on the fitness of Andrew Johns in order to give him a farewell representative appearance in the Anzac Test in Brisbane on May 5.

The Newcastle halfback damaged ligaments in his left ankle in Sunday's loss to North Queensland. He played the entire game but left the ground on crutches and wearing a protective boot.

Johns was due to have scans today to determine the extent of the damage but that plan has been scrapped. Club officials felt it was unnecessary, and they believe he will miss two games at most.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart recently convinced 31-year-old Johns to play next month's Test, which would be his representative farewell. Stuart is likely to consider playing Johns even if he is carrying a slight injury.

Stuart was tight-lipped when contacted by The Australian yesterday.

Chairman of selectors Bob McCarthy said he would give Johns every chance to play his farewell game for the Kangaroos.

"You'd have to," McCarthy said. "If he did come back in two weeks we know he'd be fit. The way football is now we're going to have someone on the bench that can cover a few areas. "

If Johns is unable to return, North Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston will be in line for his Test debut. Thurston, is the form player of the competition and is pushing for a spot on the bench, will face stiff competition from experienced campaigners such as Penrith's Craig Gower and St George Illawarra's Trent Barrett.

Elsewhere, the Broncos have lost Origin forward Dane Carlaw (knee ligaments) for at least six weeks, which rules him out of Queensland contention for the opening game on May 24.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/

The Broncos are expected to recall prop Brad Thorn (knee) and Justin Hodges (ankle). Centre Brent Tate, who has not played since off-season ankle surgery, is a week-to-week proposition.

Panthers skipper Tony Puletua will have scans on his injured ribs tomorrow. His chances of being picked in the Kiwi Test team are uncertain.

The Cowboys were rewarded for beating the Knights by being given the day off training yesterday.
The only injury concern is lock Travis Norton (knee). He is expected to be fit for Saturday's match at Toyota Park against the hapless Sharks.

The Australian

If Joey is still carrying a "slight" injury I would not be playing him unless he is 100% he should not play in the ANZAC Test he could risk more damage and be sidelined longer for Newcastle. Johns has acheived everything there is to acheive in Representative Footy. As much as I would love to see him play 1 more time in the Green and Gold, I would not like to risk him being sidelinded for the Knights.

stevo

Juniors
I don't want him to play unless he's 100% fit but at the same time i so want him too as it will be one of the last chances I get to see him play. If the team is picked on form then that leaves Lockie out and maybe another game as AUS captain for Joey. That would be awsome.

Latest posts