What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonah Lomu

Juju

Juniors
Very very sad day for NZ.
Iconic player and personality.

Lomu... LOMU… ohhh OHHHH

JJ

Immortal
He was pretty amazing - everyone remembers the immense power, which it was - but there were so many tries where barely a hand was laid on him, wonderful swerve and very fast.

Nice man, and an incredibly tough man - he shouldn't have been playing at all given his health, let alone the way he did...

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
R.I.P Lomu.

Lomu would have been great in League as well. He would've probably the best League winger ever. When you look at it Lesley Vainikolo, he was half of what Lomu was IMO. Just the most powerfullest runner of the rugby ball that ever was.

JoeD

First Grade
People talk about jonah's speed, power but i think his greatest attribute was his balanace. So many tries of his(incl his most famous) were scored because he was able to retain his feet where others would have tripped or stumbled.

My female cousin from Chicago txted me this afternoon saying she heard about jonahs death. She wuld not have seen a game of rugby in her life i reckon. Truly a global reach.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Guy was an absolute legend.
I mean, to be known simply by either your first or second name alone worldwide, means you've done extremely well.
Poor ole Mike Catt, doesn't matter what else he achieved in his career, he'll always be remembered for THAT mistackle - even though there wasn't much he could have done!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Saw a tweet from Mark Geyer

Has a picture of Junior Sports, Jonah had won the 100m, 200m, 400m, discus, shotput, javelin, long jump, high jump and triple jump.

Must have a huge trophy collection.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I posted the video of all of his AB tries on Facebook yesterday and made a comment almost identical to what JJ and to an extent JoeD have said.

What really stood out to me in the video was his speed, footwork and balance. The number of tries where he genuinely gassed his opposing winger was remarkable and really highlighted how just focusing on his size sells him short. Often his strength only came into play as a result of the speed and swerve which put him 90% of the way through the gap, and the strength did the rest. Such an athlete.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
tracked down the photo - forgot the hurdles, did he jump them or just run through them?

CUD5mhCUYAEo_4O.jpg