What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jones experiment

Is the Stacey Jones experiment a failure

• We have no other option

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • No, he's going good.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Yes, but we can remember the good times

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • Yes, reputation in tatters

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters

Martli

Coach
Really?

He doesn't seem to be too fussy at the Dragons

Would you? Playing your second/third preferred position in a top of the table team would be a lot more fun that playing your preferred position in a sh*thouse one.

Meth

Staff member
Question- which of the other club's premier halfbacks would you rank higher than ours at the moment?

By my reckoning, only the Eels are worse off in the halfback stakes, and they have Mortimer, not to mention Hayne and a few other handy attacking players

BigJ

Juniors
Question- which of the other club's premier halfbacks would you rank higher than ours at the moment?

By my reckoning, only the Eels are worse off in the halfback stakes, and they have Mortimer, not to mention Hayne and a few other handy attacking players

which says a lot about our current ex-legend stacey jones. the worst halfback in the league.... :crazy:

Meth

Staff member
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10588280

Just before halftime on Saturday night, Stacey Jones found himself with nothing but 60m of turf between him and the Panthers' line.

Manu Vatuvei had broken through and put Jones in the clear - but not for long. Penrith's chasers gobbled him up with ease.

The Warriors scored anyway through Joel Moon, but it was the sight of a player who was once one of the great open-field runners being gunned down that lingers in the memory.

The question is, how long will it linger? Where should it rate alongside all those other memories? Jones dancing through the line to score in the 2002 grand final; Jones flying across the globe to attend the birth of a child and then making the return trip just in time to kick the Kangaroos to defeat in the 2005 Tri Nations final; Jones emerging from the dressing room after that historic victory to describe how he felt in just two words: "I'm buggered."

The answer may not be one hardcore Jones lovers want to hear.

There is no escaping the fact his comeback was a failure. The team failed and Jones failed with it.

It's been suggested that the carping of the critics was a major factor in his decision to throw in the towel. But legendary status doesn't bring immunity from criticism. Quite the opposite. Jones knew that. And if all it took was a few harsh words to send him back into retirement, can his heart have really been in it?

Jones claimed that he had enjoyed his comeback season. Really? Sure didn't look like much fun. He said it was time to "let the younger players come through". But if they were better than him, the youngsters would be in the team. If not, they can wait.

More likely he just realised he could no longer be the player he wanted to be. The NRL is a brutal measuring stick. Jones' defence - never the same after he smashed his arm to pieces on Joe Vagana's head in 1999 - and his running game no longer measured up. He didn't need to get gunned down by Brad Tighe to know that.

Jones is a legend. But not even the greats can fend off Father Time. That he tried and failed - hardly a small club - isn't a stain on his reputation.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I agree with everything in that article.

(Gee it's going to take a while to get used to seeing relevant and accurate League coverage in the Herald!)

ozbash

Referee
I agree with everything in that article.

:shock:

I dont,,

Manu Vatuvei had broken through and put Jones in the clear - but not for long. Penrith's chasers gobbled him up with ease.

Jennings could run down Usain Bolt with ease !

There is no escaping the fact his comeback was a failure. The team failed and Jones failed with it.

Key words "The team failed". Stace was part of a failure/team.

More likely he just realised he could no longer be the player he wanted to be.

This guy is geniused (Jessup's son ? ), Stacey was ASKED to play.
He made no promises. He said he would see how he goes.
The hype regarding his selection and what it would mean to the team was media driven, as is the knife now sticking out of his back.

All I can say about Stace this year is at least he had a go.
I cant say that about many others in the team, particularly some of the senior players.

And, finally, S.Jones does not pick the team every Tuesday afternoon. :cool:

Meth

Staff member
I agree Ozbash that Jones can't be blamed for not escaping Jennings; and he did great in that particular play.

The team failed, but Stacey's comeback was a failure too. I know he didn't make any promises, but he also didn't manage to make good on the promises that were made for him.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
even if we were doing well, Jones has shown he is 1 maybe 2 years 2 late his presence has diminished........and dont bring up the superleague/challenge cup thing, the ESL makes average NRL players look like good players, and makes good players look like legends

Latest posts