What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joseph Paulo has advanced markedly despite Parramatta's dismal season

Gronk

Staff member
A BLESSING. It hardly seems an apt description for Parramatta's troubling season but that's exactly how Eels five-eighth Joseph Paulo sees it.
In a year with few redeeming features _ the Eels' annus horribilis reached its nadir yesterday when coach Stephen Kearney confirmed he would part ways with the club _ Paulo has been an unexpected ray of hope.
"It's been a blessing for me _ just going there with nothing to lose and doing my best, training as hard as I can," Paulo said.
"Winning would be even better but I guess it's one of those years where you have to grind it out, try to get the most out of the year you wish could have been better.
"I have been pretty happy with the way things have been going and how Parramatta has treated me."
The feeling is mutual, justifying Parramatta's decision to take a chance on Paulo when he gained a release from his junior club Penrith midway through last year.

He made one appearance for the Eels last season but has made his mark this year, playing 16 games and evoking comparisons with former Eels star Feleti Mateo thanks to his unique mix of size and skill.
"The fans have been saying that," Paulo said. "I always admired Feleti's games and . . . I would love to play like him. he is a good mate and he has always helped me out when he has had the chance.
"My brother played with him at Parramatta. We used to play touch on a Tuesday or Thursday, just do some extras. It was good to sit back and watch how he played. I sort of mirrored my game around that."
Paulo's list of admirers includes Penrith general manager and Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould, who tried to convince him to stay at the Panthers.
"It was a shame I couldn't work under him because I know the type of man he is," Paulo said. "I know he is doing big things at Penrith.
"Last year was a bit of a bummer. I didn't really do that well. My manager thought I was due for a change. It was just one of those things, where I was trying and trying but it just wasn't working. I just felt like it wasn't working out."
Gould's plea came too late. Paulo had already agreed to switch clubs, reuniting him with former Australian schoolboys teammates Chris Sandow and Tim Mannah.
"He (Sandow) is still cheeky," Paulo said. "He was always going on about Queensland. He is just a funny guy."
Not that there has been a lot to laugh about this year. Heading into tonight's game against the Storm at Parramatta Stadium, where Paulo will play five-eighth, the Eels have won only three times -- a record that cost Kearney his position.
Paulo, for one, will be sad to see him go. "He's really good with us boys, especially us young boys," he said. "He has really stuck with us and helped develop our footy, and given us the faith to play the way we want to play."
Faith is something which plays a major role in Paulo's life. He attends the same church as Jarryd Hayne and often catches up with Mannah for coffee to discuss religion.
"Me and Timmy, we always meet up with a few boys and have coffee, sit back and relax and talk," Paulo said.
"Sometimes it's hard when you're talking footy all the time. It's good to have that balance."
The only thing missing is some wins but Paulo is hoping that will soon change, starting tonight against Melbourne.
"It's been tough for the team's sake," he said. "Personally, I have been blessed to be given that opportunity by 'Mooks' (Kearney). I feel like he has really had faith in me. I want to get better and better and play my natural game."

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He doesn't have Mateo's line-breaking ability. He is nowhere near the threat to defensive lines that Mateo is, which I'd say is due to the fact that he's just not as big.

But this lack of size makes him fitter and more mobile, and therefore a better defender.

I wasn't impressed with him last year (he only played one game) and I wrote him off after the Dragons game, but he's really coming along well since then.

He could be the one to replace Hindy next year, but with Hindy's move into the front row in many games, he's pretty much replaced Hindy already - not in the sense of replacing Hindy's workrate (that's slack for the whole pack to pick up) but just filling that slot in our middle third with the props and the hooker.