What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Hannay may sign for Celtic Crusaders.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Amazing but true.

Details here:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/hannay-going-kennedy-back/2007/07/01/1183228961399.html

As many here will know, Celtic Crusaders are in National League 2.

The rule for all UK based clubs is that they have to make their way into National League 1 by 2008 if they are to be a candidate for a Super League franchise.

This means that Celtic Crusaders must be promoted to NL1 at the end of this year. That can only happen if they are in the top two clubs of NL2. They now sit on third place with one match in hand, four points behind second. If they win their match in hand they would be one point behind second.

Josh Hannay, with his NRL and State of Origin experience, his talent, and his goal kicking, would go a long way to helping the Crusaders achieve their goal of a Super League franchise. The club already has former Brisbane forward Darren Mapp and ex-North Queensland and Dragons centre Mark Dalle Cort on board. I watched them play last weekend on the internet telecast. They already have some talent. I would say that all they need now is to sign another forward of top quality to ensure that promotion.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Wow! This will be a year I don't think Josh will forget anytime soon. Good signing by Celtic if they get him.

roughyedspud

Coach
The rule for all UK based clubs is that they have to make their way into National League 1 by 2008 if they are to be a candidate for a Super League franchise

can you provide a link to such a rule????

bowes

Juniors
Although the 2nd promotion spot is determined by playoffs between the teams ranked 2-7

Of course how they get under a £200,000 salary cap is beyond me;-)

roughyedspud

Coach
is it £200,000????

i don't think anyone knows what the salary cap is in either NL1 or NL2..

word is hull KR are going to get stung for going over the cap last year while in NL 1

bowes

Juniors
roughyedspud said:
is it £200,000????

i don't think anyone knows what the salary cap is in either NL1 or NL2..

word is hull KR are going to get stung for going over the cap last year while in NL 1
As far as I know, it was originally £100,000 but think it's been raised. The NL1 salary cap got raised form £300,000 to £438,000 before last season (so Hull KR were in the first year to take advantage)

As the points deductions are now I believe a minimum of 4 points (not sure if that applies to ones from NL1) then that would almost certainly send them down. Celtic Crusaders in theory should probably get 8 or even the full 12 point deduction next year, unless they've found a fiddle, but whether the rules will be applied is another matter

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
bowes said:
As far as I know, it was originally £100,000 but think it's been raised. The NL1 salary cap got raised form £300,000 to £438,000 before last season (so Hull KR were in the first year to take advantage)

As the points deductions are now I believe a minimum of 4 points (not sure if that applies to ones from NL1) then that would almost certainly send them down. Celtic Crusaders in theory should probably get 8 or even the full 12 point deduction next year, unless they've found a fiddle, but whether the rules will be applied is another matter

You tell us that you don't know what the salary cap is, and we know that you don't know what Celtic Crusaders have spent this year, but in the next breath you tell us Celtic Crusaders should probably get the full 8 or 12 point deduction next year!

This is a triumph of wishful thinking over logic.

roughyedspud

Coach
i think celtic crusaders are the new london........they can do what ever they want and get and away with it:lol:

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
roughyedspud said:
i think celtic crusaders are the new london........they can do what ever they want and get and away with it:lol:

I hope that they are the new London. I would love to see the Celtic Crusaders in Super League, and especially if they are producing top quality local juniors from their academy, and promoting them into their Super League team, as the Quins have done with London academy products Louis McCarthy- Scarsbrook (21), Rob Worrincy (21), Joe Mbu (23) and Tony Clubb (20).

That junior training and recruitment will expand not only the geographical location of Super League clubs, but also the number of young people from different areas of the UK who are playing the game. Unfortunately decaying old areas of northern England like Oldham, Halifax, Hunslet, Rochdale and Swinton cannot offer rugby league that expansionist promise nor the new youthful playing talent on such a large scale as places like London and Wales.

couerdelion

Juniors
roughyedspud said:

London? More like uncle Mo and Wigan. expect another salary cap 'accident' this week:crazy:.

bowes

Juniors
Why would wanting them to get points deuction be wishful thinking, why would I want them to get it. It's a fact that AT VERY MOST the NL2 salary cap in £200,000 and it's obvious the Crusaders are paying a lot more than that (they're signing recent SOO players among others!), so of course they deserve a points deduction the same as anyone else that breaches the salary cap does

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
bowes said:
Why would wanting them to get points deuction be wishful thinking, why would I want them to get it. It's a fact that AT VERY MOST the NL2 salary cap in £200,000 and it's obvious the Crusaders are paying a lot more than that (they're signing recent SOO players among others!), so of course they deserve a points deduction the same as anyone else that breaches the salary cap does

How do you know what the Celtic Crusaders have paid for their players?

As I have already pointed out, Hannay has been generously compensated by Cronulla as part of a pay-out release from Cronulla, so he does not need a lot of money at the moment. On the other hand he has nowhere to go to play top level rugby league in Australia this year, and he can never qualify for SL if he stays in Australia because of his lack of sufficient recent NRL games to qualify as an import. Hannay's only hope of getting into Super League in the future is to get a lower level UK club to hire and qualify him now. That is what Celtic Crusaders are offering to do, and that is why there is no reason for them to pay him a salary cap busting fortune at his stage -- certainly not this season.

bowes

Juniors
Yeah I can see to a degree they pay not pay him too much in total, but I still think it's more likely that they're going all out to get into NL1 at franchise application time, even if it means a points deduction in NL1 than it is that they are spending less than £200,000 on their current team (supposedly partly full time). The alternative is they have a fiddle and are paying players separately as development officers as well, which might be the case

Latest posts