What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Perry to UK

transporter

Juniors
Josh Perry is NRL's latest loss
Dean Ritchie

MANLY and probable NSW prop Josh Perry will quit the NRL for England's Super League.

Perry has agreed to a lucrative two-year deal with giant British club St Helens.

Perry's impending move after this season will allow Manly to re-sign rising halves Trent Hodkinson and Kieran Foran.

Perry, 29, has won a premiership, a World Club Challenge and represented NSW and Australia since joining Manly for the start of 2008.

The 114kg prop was a Kangaroo last week against New Zealand in Melbourne and is certain to be named in the NSW squad for State of Origin I on May 26 at ANZ Stadium.

Asked yesterday when he would decide his future, Perry said: "I think we'll get something sorted out after Origin, definitely.

"I just want to play my best footy and not worry about all that other stuff and hopefully get across the line for NSW.

"As I said, we will wait until after State of Origin and see what happens."

Perry admitted this series could be his finale for NSW.

"You always look at it as being your last game," Perry said.

"You always go out there and think it could be your last Origin game."

Manly and New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai is also working on his future.

Matai is off contract after this year and, after ongoing negotiations, looks set to remain with the Sea Eagles.

"I haven't [signed] yet but I have been speaking to the club and hopefully we can get that sorted out in the next few weeks so I can start focusing on playing some good footy," Matai said.

Asked whether he wanted to remain at Brookvale, Matai said: "Definitely, the boys are great and the staff are great. I definitely want to stay. We are talking but nothing has been set in stone."

Manly are also confident they will re-sign Hodkinson to a long-term contract, despite interest from Canterbury.

The Sea Eagles see Hodkinson and Foran as a 10-year scrum-base combination.

Hodkinson said this week: "I'm 100 per cent loving it at Manly. They gave me my opportunity, so 100 per cent I want to stay here. I'm just loving my footy at the moment."

Yosh

Coach
Doesn't really affect us.

In my honest opinion; one of the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen. Early 2000s he could have been anything... Pity he was at Newcastle during the Hagan years, if he had been at the Broncos under Bennet could have went on to be one of the greatest modern props. Did very well none the less, 2 premierships, couple of minor premierships, NSW and Test jerseys, Club World Championships etc...

Used to love this guy. Wish you all the best mate. Win something over there and you'll really have a trophey cabinent bigger than your appetite for Hungry Jacks!

MATAI on the other hand we should look into. We could potentially have NZ's centre pairing playing for us week in week out!

Alex28

Coach
I don't really think it was Hagan's fault he was a lazy tub of lard here...more Josh's fault.

Yosh

Coach
I don't really think it was Hagan's fault he was a lazy tub of lard here...more Josh's fault.

No doubt about it. But a real coach would have done more about it!

Hages probably gave him a pat on the back and probably went on Hungry Jack's run with him...

Serc

First Grade
Its one of his favourite phrases - "there's no doubt about it"

Just taking the piss out of both of you for a tick there :p

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Josh Perry is the biggest waste of talent since Owen Craigie. The bloke should have played 20 origines and at least a dozen tests by now. Instead Hagan allowed him to play in a massive comfort zone that resulted in him doing about 8 hitups per week when he could be arsed and yet still not once be dropped to the bench or reserve grade.

It's as much Hagans fault as it is Perry's imo.

Yosh

Coach
Josh Perry is the biggest waste of talent since Owen Craigie. The bloke should have played 20 origines and at least a dozen tests by now. Instead Hagan allowed him to play in a massive comfort zone that resulted in him doing about 8 hitups per week when he could be arsed and yet still not once be dropped to the bench or reserve grade.

It's as much Hagans fault as it is Perry's imo.

This is what I was saying just not as well:D

aqua_duck

Coach
If you ever needed to be reminded of perry's wasted ability, just think back to that run he made against the bulldogs at EAS a few years back, ran about 50m and beat half the team

Latest posts