What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT to replace Smith (eventually)

Hurriflatch

Referee
In the paper today there was a small article that JT will take on more of the coaching duties with Smith overseeing the general running of the club's coaching (sounded like it ment all grades) while JT will be doing most of the hands-on work with the 1st Grad Squad.

bartman

Immortal
Interesting...

There seems to be a trend toward clubs having "head coaches" or coaching coordinators (eg Gould at Roosters), kind of like American NFL?

Numbers in a league clubs coaching staff seem to be growing and growing each year. Also noticed that David Barnhill was official coach of the Saints sevens team, and not Nathan Brown.

half

Coach
royce simmons also coached the tigers sevens squad, right?

hopefully jt's influence brings more diversity to our plays than we saw last season

Hurriflatch

Referee
JT was always part of the coaching staff at the Eels previously as the SG Ball & Goalkicking coach, but according to that article he will be quitting his job in the marketing department at Parra so he will only need to work on the coaching role.

Pazza

First Grade
i wouldnt mind seeing John Cartwright from the roosters come and take over the reigns as first grade coach with Taylor as his assitant. Smith in a directors type role. Cartwright has had 2 highly successful seasons as Stuart's assistant and it looks like he is aiming for a head coaching position (according to SMH article: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/31/1075340894377.html ) Some new blood in a seniour position would be a healthy change for the club such as Lang for Penrith, Stuart for the Roosters, Bellamy for the Storm and i am sure there are other exaples.

Taylor-Smith coaching combo will be good for Parra. Fresh ideas will never hurt and taylor is a good motivational speaker so expect some pumped up lads on the fiekd this year.

The Godfather

Juniors
So JT will take over a bit more responsibility.

So how does that mean that he is the Chosen One to replace Smith ?

Chances are that JT will be headhunted this year by some other NRL club, continiuing the tradition of previous Parramatta coaches.

BD5733

Juniors
Pazza said:
Some new blood in a seniour position would be a healthy change for the club such as Lang for Penrith, Stuart for the Roosters, Bellamy for the Storm and i am sure there are other exaples.

Also like Langmack at Souths, Brown at the Dragons and Anderson at the Sharks. :shock:

Having another coach other than Smith could well make us perform worse! Shock Horror!! Buts its true.

Pazza

First Grade
BD5733 said:
Pazza said:
Some new blood in a seniour position would be a healthy change for the club such as Lang for Penrith, Stuart for the Roosters, Bellamy for the Storm and i am sure there are other exaples.

Also like Langmack at Souths, Brown at the Dragons and Anderson at the Sharks. :shock:

Having another coach other than Smith could well make us perform worse! Shock Horror!! Buts its true.

There is always a flip side, but you must admit Cartwright would be the right man for the job if Smith stepped aside. What Stuart, Cartwright and Pay did at the Roosters was exceptional.

eelegant

Juniors
The Godfather said:
Chances are that JT will be headhunted this year by some other NRL club, continiuing the tradition of previous Parramatta coaches.

Aint that that truth.

Misty Bee

First Grade
BD5733 said:
Pazza said:

Oh woe betide. Lets sign Smith up for life so we can keep coming 9th instead of 10th or 11th! The chance of a premiership and eternal glory is too higher price to pay!

I recall an interview with Hindy in 2001. When asked what influence Brian smith had on his playing style, he replied "I work with Rod Reddy. During the week, I hardly come into contact with Brian".

The Colonel

Immortal
Sooner rather than later someone needs to replace Smith. Particularly if we underperform through the start of the season. However I don't think JT is the right person at this time if that need should arise. The two best candidates for the job IMO would be - John Cartwright or Terry Matterson.

BD5733

Juniors
Pazza said:
BD5733 said:
Pazza said:

There is always a flip side, but you must admit Cartwright would be the right man for the job if Smith stepped aside. What Stuart, Cartwright and Pay did at the Roosters was exceptional.

Yeah, agree. Having a coaching director and then specific position coaches seems to be the way the NRL are headed. Anyone like Cartwright, Taylor, and any other relatively recent player who knows the modern game I think would fit the role well.

Misty Bee said:
BD5733 wrote:
Pazza wrote:

Also like Langmack at Souths, Brown at the Dragons and Anderson at the Sharks.

Oh woe betide. Lets sign Smith up for life so we can keep coming 9th instead of 10th or 11th! The chance of a premiership and eternal glory is too higher price to pay!

I recall an interview with Hindy in 2001. When asked what influence Brian smith had on his playing style, he replied "I work with Rod Reddy. During the week, I hardly come into contact with Brian".

And I was just commenting on a change of coach wouldn't neccessarily assure a healthy change.

PB

Bench
Wow that article was real earth shattering news wasn't it. I think it is something most have expected since Taylor's success as a player, and leader in 2001. he has been blood to take on a major coaching role at the club for the last two years, and the stream lining of this process will obviously depend on Smith' success this year.

But all the same don't expect it to happen over night Smith haters. And remember who this "article" was written by. Her "journalism" skills are up their with Mr O'Niell...