What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary Charges 2019

Delboy

First Grade
Did Perenara get charged for impersonating a referee, it's not his first offence

no name

Coach
Wallace should have challenged the shoulder charge, if Slater can get off saying his hands make contact first, Wallace could argue that his chest made first contact, which it did.

The game’s in sad state when a great hit like that, which in no way made contact with the opponent’s head cops two weeks and grub Macguire purposely rips at an opponents eye and face and gets a fine.

The grading system is absolutely f**ked.

Wallace should have challenged the shoulder charge, if Slater can get off saying his hands make contact first, Wallace could argue that his chest made first contact, which it did.

The game’s in sad state when a great hit like that, which in no way made contact with the opponent’s head cops two weeks and grub Macguire purposely rips at an opponents eye and face and gets a fine.

The grading system is absolutely f**ked.

They changed the wording of the charge after Slater got off, so there would be some doubt that Wallace would get off. Also if he hadn't gotten involved then there would have been no penalty. It was his team mate that made the great tackle. His shoulder charge was over kill (as well as unnecessary) and as soon as I saw it I thought Wallace would get pinged.

That said I agree with you regarding the charge on Maguire. It is ridiculous you can go and put fingers in an opponents eye and all you get is a fine.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They changed the wording of the charge after Slater got off, so there would be some doubt that Wallace would get off. Also if he hadn't gotten involved then there would have been no penalty. It was his team mate that made the great tackle. His shoulder charge was over kill (as well as unnecessary) and as soon as I saw it I thought Wallace would get pinged.

That said I agree with you regarding the charge on Maguire. It is ridiculous you can go and put fingers in an opponents eye and all you get is a fine.
Annesley also revealed the match review committee did not hand McGuire a charge of eye gouging due to obscured camera angles that did not show definitive contact with Munster's eyes.

McGuire has accepted a grade-one contrary conduct charge over the incident, copping a $3,350 fine that will allow him to line up for North Queensland this Saturday against the Warriors.

Munster initially reeled out of McGuire's tackle clutching at his face and remonstrating over the contact, but declined to make an on-field complaint against his Maroons teammate.

Without an official complaint lodged, the match review committee was left relying solely on video evidence in handing down any charge that could be challenged at the judiciary.

Annesley produced the two relevant camera angles during his weekly briefing that showed McGuire's hand raking across Munster's face, with neither shot showing his fingers making clear contact with the Storm five-eighth's eyes.

"I have been absolutely assured that if they had that evidence, it would have been a different charge, it would have been dangerous contact and it would have been a referred charge straight to the judiciary," Annesley said.

"People can draw their own conclusions and agree or disagree, but the committee didn't believe that they had sufficient evidence to sustain the charge that involved any kind of eye gouging.

"[The MRC] have to believe that they have reasonable prospects of a player being found guilty based on the video evidence if there's no other evidence ... the match review committee felt that in all honesty they could not sustain a charge that talks about gouging eyes."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/15/referees-relegated-over-play-on-call-after-nene-macdonald-injury/

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
im sure nene would have been thrilled with a trip to the judiciary. Poor guy
Getting injured doesn't excuse someone from being charged for foul play lol.

And he pleaded no contest so he had no carryovers. Smart guy.

Someguy

First Grade
Wtf AFB with a lazy slap on a falling player gets two weeks!! Have seen players leap to take a taller player high and get nothing. Moses a few years ago against a titans player on a line break comes to mind

forby

Juniors
Absolutely amazed that Manu didn’t get off. He must be the first Rooster in years to go to the judiciary and lose!

Latest posts