What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior/Age Based World Cup

adamkungl

Immortal
U18s, gives developing nations a better shot at competing and getting visibility for their players before the advantages of full-professional kick in for the major nations.

Every 2 years, means no player misses out.

Entry via application by any nation capable of doing so, until it hits 16. Then develop a qualification process.

Strong focus on local development. Heritage players should be limited to a handful (4 or 6) with the rationale being that a small number of heritage players can help to develop the local players without completely taking over the team.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
- What age barrier should be set for the tournament?:
Under 19's
- How many teams should be allowed to take part?
Australia
New Zealand
England
France
PNG
Wales
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga
Lebanon

- How are those teams selected?
Based on level of domestic setup
- Where should such a tournament be played initially?
Europe, Australia or New Zealand
- How often should such a tournament be played?
4 years
- What are the player selection rules?
Players are eligible for a country by birth or residency only - no heritage players

hutch

First Grade
- What age barrier should be set for the tournament?:
Under 19's
- How many teams should be allowed to take part?
Australia
New Zealand
England
France
PNG
Wales
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga
Lebanon

- How are those teams selected?
Based on level of domestic setup
- Where should such a tournament be played initially?
Europe, Australia or New Zealand
- How often should such a tournament be played?
4 years
- What are the player selection rules?
Players are eligible for a country by birth or residency only - no heritage players

Agree with most but every 4 years is nowhere near enough. This means that many players will never have an opportunity to play in this all because they were born a year or two too late. I would prefer every year or at worst, every 2 years with regional tournaments every other year.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agree with most but every 4 years is nowhere near enough. This means that many players will never have an opportunity to play in this all because they were born a year or two too late. I would prefer every year or at worst, every 2 years with regional tournaments every other year.

That's a good point

thorson1987

Coach
So the colleges don't get any financial help from NFL teams when they are producing the players the NFL needs to exist?

I'm not certain, but I don't think so.

Most college football is self funded. They also get Saturday nights to themselves for TV rights. No NFL is played on a Saturday. It's an agreement the NFL and colleges have.

They do put a small amount into Youth Football via the NFL foundation, but besides that absolutely nothing.