What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Amone

justadragon

Bench
Why can‘t we bring Muhleisen up-to-speed for 1st grade? From what I’ve seen of him, he’s a talented 9. With Macca and Hunt in their early 30s and Muhleisen and Sullivan in their early 20’s, there seems to be an obvious rotation/transition plan as far as I can see.
Absolutely Muhleisen should at the very least be the 14 late this season or from the start of 2023.

denis preston

First Grade
I'd like to agree with you but I cant, I have also watched Sullivan play and to me he has the potential to pull a game out of the fire moreso than hunt and is also a better game manager. yeah sure he will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, and the ultimate is speed combined with vison. Hunt would still be able to doo what he does from 9 and in my opinion we would be enhancing our 7 with extra qualities that Sullivan has. But thats my opinion.
Spot on. If our budget is tight this saves us 600-700k to get anywhere near the quality of hooker that Hunt is and also alleviates the risk of Bud dying on the vine. Again Hunt has been great for us, our best player but it really excites me what he can do from 9 that we haven't been getting for 10 years and what that will do for Bud , Junior ,Chef and eventually Sloan. Hunt at 7 wont ensure a top 4 finish but at 9 will build the side towards one.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Why can‘t we bring Muhleisen up-to-speed for 1st grade? From what I’ve seen of him, he’s a talented 9. With Macca and Hunt in their early 30s and Muhleisen and Sullivan in their early 20’s, there seems to be an obvious rotation/transition plan as far as I can see.

I agree. I also wonder where he fits into Hook's master plan.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Spot on. If our budget is tight this saves us 600-700k to get anywhere near the quality of hooker that Hunt is and also alleviates the risk of Bud dying on the vine. Again Hunt has been great for us, our best player but it really excites me what he can do from 9 that we haven't been getting for 10 years and what that will do for Bud , Junior ,Chef and eventually Sloan. Hunt at 7 wont ensure a top 4 finish but at 9 will build the side towards one.

Excellent post. We can only summise as we'll never know what's really going on.

Dragon David

First Grade
For the life of me I just cannot see Hook giving into several of our wishes to have Hunt in at hooker when we have Macca and Mbye. Muhleisen to me is way back in the pecking order of Hook's hooker selections. We still have Macca and Mbye until at least the end of 2023. Hook will be at the helm in 2023 also, so to me Hunt will stay at 7. He won't move Hunt to hooker not for any reasons.

So our big problem will still be with Sullivan and his future at the club and while we still have a good chance of making the top 8 this year, Hook will keep things as they basically are. Next year will be much the same I think as Hunt will be in his last year and maybe playing for a new contract to end his career at the Dragons before moving back up to the Sunshine Coast.

It's funny because in the details below, he mentions Amone and Sullivan being the next big things coming through and exciting times ahead. Then, why not let them play together while he takes a back seat and play off the bench or hooker next year?

BLM01

First Grade
I'd like to agree with you but I cant, I have also watched Sullivan play and to me he has the potential to pull a game out of the fire moreso than hunt and is also a better game manager. yeah sure he will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, and the ultimate is speed combined with vison. Hunt would still be able to doo what he does from 9 and in my opinion we would be enhancing our 7 with extra qualities that Sullivan has. But thats my opinion.
Thats fine, but how do you know Sullivan can do all that at NRL level as good at Hunt,
you are judging what he does at 7 by watching reggies against far slower / inferior players
He will get his chance shortly, lets see how he goes at 7 running the side at NRL level then we can judge.
Hunt cannot do what he does for us at 9, especially setting up the backline and the deep kicking on the 5th

denis preston

First Grade
Thats fine, but how do you know Sullivan can do all that at NRL level as good at Hunt,
you are judging what he does at 7 by watching reggies against far slower / inferior players
He will get his chance shortly, lets see how he goes at 7 running the side at NRL level then we can judge.
Hunt cannot do what he does for us at 9, especially setting up the backline and the deep kicking on the 5th
IMO , Bud may need the same amount of time Junior has got to become a NRL 7 but would you agree that whilst Hunt is our best 7 where will that get us , anything better than top 4 ? I think Bud 7 , Hunt 9 has more upside for the future. IF Bud struggles and shows no improvement then Hunt back to 7 and we buy a 9 and fast track Mulhousen ( apologise for. Spelling ) Also with Hunt at 9 we get ease Molly into NRL.

Illusion

Bench
Mate we have to give Bud time also at 7 not just one game here and there ...... Yes Hunt has been good at 7 but its has only happened in the past couple of years, previous to that he was so so IMO ...... Like you said Sully will get his chance but it needs to happen soon ..... At the end of last year he was playing at 9 and holding his own the kid is as tough as they come so for me needs to be in the team either at 7 or 9 .....

justadragon

Bench
i know what you are saying, but also to judge sullivan off one game could be a bit unfair, i would like sullivan to have time at seven andbuild into it whilst hunt is still a good fit for the 9. i think if you work on certain plays then you can work hunt into a certain position to kick long, cam smith didnt seem to have an issue with it.

blacksafake

First Grade
At the moment Hunt is our best 7, he is also our best 9.
Moving him to 9 now to bring in an untried though very talented 7 is fraught with danger imo.

It would leave us with 3 very inexperienced spine players of which 2 are still in the process of learning & finding their games in the NRL.
Most on here have been calling for Amone to take some pressure off Hunt & adding Bud now would put too much pressure on Amone which could be detrimental to their developments.

I know it’s not a word we like to hear around here but patience is needed.
Just my thoughts.

BLM01

First Grade
i know what you are saying, but also to judge sullivan off one game could be a bit unfair, i would like sullivan to have time at seven andbuild into it whilst hunt is still a good fit for the 9. i think if you work on certain plays then you can work hunt into a certain position to kick long, cam smith didnt seem to have an issue with it.
agree, he will get his time but we cant judge the other way that he is a better fit at 7 ATM than Benny is all I am saying. We need stability right now

BLM01

First Grade
IMO , Bud may need the same amount of time Junior has got to become a NRL 7 but would you agree that whilst Hunt is our best 7 where will that get us , anything better than top 4 ? I think Bud 7 , Hunt 9 has more upside for the future. IF Bud struggles and shows no improvement then Hunt back to 7 and we buy a 9 and fast track Mulhousen ( apologise for. Spelling ) Also with Hunt at 9 we get ease Molly into NRL.
You may be right for the future but now no matter what we do we wont be Top 4.
But that is not on Hunt, that is our style of conservative and telegraphed cross field attack and play + poor contact in defence at times, not being able to reduce 2nd phase.

Yeh we will need a better 9 next year but the way Benny is playing this year it is not him. We will see how he is playing near the end of this year and see what they come up with
I think Benny will go to the Dolphins anyway

Budpower

Juniors
Talatou Amone is as crucially important to us right now, as a team, as J Luai was to Penrith about 2 yrs ago....IF Luai had left, as of them all coming through together AS juniors, there would have been NOTHING of the striking success of the Panthers the last 2 years as his combinations not only with his halves partner Cleary but the other backs aswell are everything, you cant buy natural combinations that strong! ...and Panthers success SHOWS how deeply crucial it is to keep Junior here aswell and on a huge new fully paid up contract as he deserves! Amone and Bud are such young men with a long and great career ahead in Red n White IF we can keep them together as Junior and Bud WILL be our halves combo next season, at some stage next season it WILL happen as Maccas already on his last legs so slow he will be next year Hunt will either sign with the Dolphins as hes said he wants to go home or with Maccas age even a stubborn old fella like Hook will be FORCED by gravity to move Hunt to hooker or if he leaves for QLD will be forced to bring in another rake....so Junior, if you read this, stay true to Dragons and just like Penrith youll be as important and as succesful as Luai is, and in my eyes BETTER! long may Amone and Bud CARVE as our long term halves combo with thier combos with Sloaney and Feagais aswell now with Suli aswell, Amone is in cracking combo already with his fellow Superstar Tongan! well i pray daily Junior stays as already so young and with so few games hes now starring, us bleeders as far as Im concerned, a fan of 50 yrs, we havent in my eyes had a TRULY gun halves combo since Mundine and Goldy! Amones our Luai and Buds our Cleary theres no doubt! bring on many Gfs with these 2 and put us long suffering fans who bleed red and white out of our misery and THROW THE DAMN BANK at Junior please keep them together!! it will be worth it when were on top of the table for the next decade with them steering the ship oh our GLORY days WILL RETURN!!!

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Talatou Amone is as crucially important to us right now, as a team, as J Luai was to Penrith about 2 yrs ago....IF Luai had left, as of them all coming through together AS juniors, there would have been NOTHING of the striking success of the Panthers the last 2 years as his combinations not only with his halves partner Cleary but the other backs aswell are everything, you cant buy natural combinations that strong! ...and Panthers success SHOWS how deeply crucial it is to keep Junior here aswell and on a huge new fully paid up contract as he deserves! Amone and Bud are such young men with a long and great career ahead in Red n White IF we can keep them together as Junior and Bud WILL be our halves combo next season, at some stage next season it WILL happen as Maccas already on his last legs so slow he will be next year Hunt will either sign with the Dolphins as hes said he wants to go home or with Maccas age even a stubborn old fella like Hook will be FORCED by gravity to move Hunt to hooker or if he leaves for QLD will be forced to bring in another rake....so Junior, if you read this, stay true to Dragons and just like Penrith youll be as important and as succesful as Luai is, and in my eyes BETTER! long may Amone and Bud CARVE as our long term halves combo with thier combos with Sloaney and Feagais aswell now with Suli aswell, Amone is in cracking combo already with his fellow Superstar Tongan! well i pray daily Junior stays as already so young and with so few games hes now starring, us bleeders as far as Im concerned, a fan of 50 yrs, we havent in my eyes had a TRULY gun halves combo since Mundine and Goldy! Amones our Luai and Buds our Cleary theres no doubt! bring on many Gfs with these 2 and put us long suffering fans who bleed red and white out of our misery and THROW THE DAMN BANK at Junior please keep them together!! it will be worth it when were on top of the table for the next decade with them steering the ship oh our GLORY days WILL RETURN!!!
Maintain the rage Champ.

Crush

Coach
Love the passion, and you did that without using even one full stop. Well done.

slippery5

Juniors
I'll give you one name who was playing a back seat at FB & then wasn't guaranteed a starting playmaker role this year, so he signed else where. HYNES !!!!!!!!

Latest posts