What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior clubs.

cleary89

Coach
Como using the crocs mascot is only new. Maybe 2009. Go to sportingpulse.com.au.

07 I think, been around for a while.

I remember going down to the Wonni to play a trial against a new junior club. Can't remember the name. The oval was on the south side of the wonni bridge and you drove south instead of crossing the old bridge.

I will never forget it... They had a bloody great big gum tree between the tryline and the dead ball line.

hahaha I grew up in the wonny, use to walk to that oval every arvo to practice kicking my SOO blues ball. Would jump off the bridge a couple of times on the way home too. They occasionally have the odd trial there. Walked past one day and they had some kids games on. Not a bad ground. Played cricket a couple of times there, use to love putting it into the river.

newman

First Grade
Ok, so to clarify:

Miranda magpies existed as an rl club (still a soccer club)- I'm sure I played against them and they were all kids on remand.
There were teams from sylvania, Cronulla rsl, a Pre titans taren point club and maybe there was some team from the woni, or maybe just a few games played on that field on the south side of the bridge? Also mention of a kirrawee club?

Are the Heathcote rams still going? A shame about the bushrangers, one of the best named clubs in the rl.

I played in one of the first games for the holy family colts (they became aquinas later). We played a trial against bosco at boys town and at that early stage we had no jerseys made up so had to turn out in whatever jersey or t shirt or potato sack we could find. One of our players showed up in a bosco jersey. That was about 1994.

Frenzy.

Immortal
There was also Caringbah Convent which was for kids from kinder to Grade 6. This club was around until mid 70s when it merged with De La Salle. Played in sky blue jerseys like the old NSW jerseys.

The pre Titans TP were known as "The Pointers" and had a red shark logo on an unfortunate Red V. I played for them in the juniors.

The Popper

Bench
Cronulla Chiefs
Cronulla RSL (very strong club once)
North Cronulla Surf Club
Sutherland-Woronora
Yep, and there were Miranda Magpies, and Taren Point played in Saints jumpers, Loftus Pirates. But in my day comps also included Renown United, Ramsgate United, Arncliffe Scots, Kingsgrove Colts, Bexley-Kingsgrove, Narwee Colts, etc, etc because it was St.George Juniors back then. I'm told that before my time there were also teams South Cronulla Rangers, Woronora Dam, and just Cronulla and also Miranda in the very old days.

Sharkie73

Bench
Is this the entire list of current and former clubs in the local comp?

I seem to remember playing against a Miranda Magpies once upon a time. Any other clubs come and gone in the passing of time?

Aquinas/Holy family Colts
Bundeena Bushrangers
Homo Janalli
Cronulla Caringbah
De La Salle
Engadine Dragons
Gymea Gorillas
Heathcote Rams
Kurnell Stingrays
Menai Rooters
St John Bosco
St Josephs
St Patricks
Sutho Loftus
Taren Point should be ashamed of their jersey
Yarrawarrah Tigers
The Miranda Magpies were my first footy club newman! back in the 70s :( I finshed up playing for Sutho and Bosco! I remember playing against and marking up against ET and Sparkles ahhh they were the days :)

Last edited: