What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior league - Metal studs

Life's Good

Coach
My son plays league in under 10’s in NSW.

Does anyone know if they are allowed to use boots with metal studs? I can’t find anything related to this in the NRL junior rules.

Thanks for any help.

thorson1987

Coach
I can only go off my own experience playing under 10s back in 1979. Metal studs were not allowed.

Metal studs were allowed when I played U/10's in the 90's because I had them.

Best to just speak to someone at the club. Don't think there is a rule against it.

skeepe

Immortal
My son plays league in under 10’s in NSW.

Does anyone know if they are allowed to use boots with metal studs? I can’t find anything related to this in the NRL junior rules.

Thanks for any help.
Depends on the association. In Canberra there’s no rule against it as long as they aren’t sharp.

thorson1987

Coach
Depends on the association. In Canberra there’s no rule against it as long as they aren’t sharp.

Yeah that's what it was in West Magpies JL for me.

Metal studs were never a problem, the issue were when people left the plastic screw in studs in instead. They got real sharp real quick.

kdalymc

Bench
yeah dumb rule, unsure how metal stud ever hurt anyone, if anything they got blunter.
but yeah the plastic screw in's, man they got stabby

Haffa

Depends on the League. Penrith juniors allowed them when I coached in 2003 but the Central Coast didn’t in 01.

peter file

Juniors
When I was refereeing years ago, the junior league put the responsibility on us to police the "no metal studs" rule. The amount of abuse I copped from irate parents and club officials when trying to enforce it was horrendous.