What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Rugby League Mandatory Licensed Playing Gear

hrundi99

First Grade
I didn't mention rego fees in the $150 to $70 comparison. Not talking about rego fees at all.
I'm pretty sure the comparison made is what it costs to dress your kid for sport.
If the RL is cheaper now . . . that's great. I'm sure it will increase dramatically when this licensing law comes into effect. All those free shorts and socks might not be free for much longer.

The rego fees include the gear, insurance etc.

:sarcasm:

skeepe

Immortal
Never mind the cost of registration, these crazy new mod rules are going to have an adverse affect on junior numbers in my opinion.

The idea that two players from each team can be singled out as designated dummy half and first receiver, and these players can ignore the two pass rule, is ridiculous. I can easily see a situation where kids get fed up because the dummy half and first receiver constantly hog the ball.

Absolutely crazy rule change.

bjm8

Juniors
Here's the breakdown of my local sokkah club fees here in regional NSW. All 6's & 7's get is shin pads & a ball, where as the rest of us might get a club shirt on a special occasion (I've gotten 1 in the last 4 years).

Senior Men & Women $310
Senior Men & Women (18 & under) $260
Junior Competitive (Gr15-16) $175
Junior Competitive (Gr12-14) $145
Junior Non-Competitive (Gr10-11) $115
Junior Non-Competitive (Gr8-9) $95
Junior Non-Competitive (Gr6-7) $85

We get a breakdown of where our $310 goes on the invoice, up until last year I think, there was a part of that ($20 or $30) that was going to "2018-2022 WC Bid" .. now it's split 4 ways between the club, district, state & FFA.

innsaneink

Referee
Never mind the cost of registration, these crazy new mod rules are going to have an adverse affect on junior numbers in my opinion.

The idea that two players from each team can be singled out as designated dummy half and first receiver, and these players can ignore the two pass rule, is ridiculous. I can easily see a situation where kids get fed up because the dummy half and first receiver constantly hog the ball.

A decent coach would sort that out quickly....however there are too many coaches focussed on winning and not coaching/teaching league to kids...that and the fact 2 players are singled out as ''special'' and poor coaches might be tempted to use their 2 best players in these positions and have them playing all game every game, where the rest are replaced at times if the squad is large

Sounds ridiculous rule change

johnny plath

Juniors
i think the idea is to actually break the mould of kids being robots, and teaching halves to run. a good coach can fix it easily by rotating his players in those positions each quarter or half. The change is fine, its the coaches that need help.

The Rosco

Bench
What I was getting at in my OP was that this new mandate will likely remove the option of buying Australian made Sportswear from a local supplier.
I know that most stuff is made in China. I know it's been that way for years. I know the costs of rego.
I know the dilemna of clueless, but well meaning coaches.
But this new rule basically forces every club to buy Chinese made . . . . while there are still a few local suppliers of made in Australia quality apparel.
Thats pretty fXXXed up right there.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade

This rule was in place in the Parra Jnr LeAgue for U12s last year and was a great success. There were players going to International Rules footy in U13 that played as a pivot/7 and had no running game or vision. Much better as it will breed halves and hookers

A very good rule change, no need to panic, it works

Delboy

First Grade
Here's the breakdown of my local sokkah club fees here in regional NSW. All 6's & 7's get is shin pads & a ball, where as the rest of us might get a club shirt on a special occasion (I've gotten 1 in the last 4 years).

Senior Men & Women $310
Senior Men & Women (18 & under) $260
Junior Competitive (Gr15-16) $175
Junior Competitive (Gr12-14) $145
Junior Non-Competitive (Gr10-11) $115
Junior Non-Competitive (Gr8-9) $95
Junior Non-Competitive (Gr6-7) $85

We get a breakdown of where our $310 goes on the invoice, up until last year I think, there was a part of that ($20 or $30) that was going to "2018-2022 WC Bid" .. now it's split 4 ways between the club, district, state & FFA.

A friend of mine has a boy aged 12 playing premier league age soccer in Newcastle, registration fee is $750. Kids in Sydeny generally pay close to $280/$300 , seems a bargain up north

The Rosco

Bench
A friend of mine has a boy aged 12 playing premier league age soccer in Newcastle, registration fee is $750. Kids in Sydeny generally pay close to $280/$300 , seems a bargain up north

Delboy, I don't think the kolts . . . your local soccer team . . . . are charging kids $300 for rego. Maybe 21 yr old kids, but definitely not up to say 16.
A kid in Sydney playing 12s premier youth would be paying more than $750. It is an elite comp for parents with deep pockets and grand visions. Mum with plastics and dad with the Cayenne. Black, obviously. The money they siphon from these types is used to pay the wages of the club's adult Premier league team.

Does anyone know the cost of rego say in the East ?

Delboy

First Grade
My grandsons play in the Northern suburbs, probably being ovwrcharged as usual

Locally in the Hills it is over $200

Pig Champion

Juniors

Have no fear. One of my sons has played under those rules in the cronulla comp. It worked brilliantly. Across the board I've heard no negativity about it. From what I saw it was definitely not over used,.Besides the FR cannot take a run directly after the DH has a run otherwise its a turnover.

The DH and FR went from being a position no kid ever wanted as all you did was shovel the ball out, to now a position of value with the chance to improve your skills.

Besides if a coach wants to be boring and just win in the past he/she could just keep giving it to the same big or superfast kid like some coaches always do with the other kids just seeing the same few boys getting all the runs.

Pig Champion

Juniors
This rule was in place in the Parra Jnr LeAgue for U12s last year and was a great success. There were players going to International Rules footy in U13 that played as a pivot/7 and had no running game or vision. Much better as it will breed halves and hookers

A very good rule change, no need to panic, it works

Totally agree. In a few years we will see a whole new set of talented halves in the senior game. It gives those kids that extra moment to pass, switch, run, kick without fear of losing possession if caught with the ball.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mandurah Storm are one of our newest Jnr clubs. Here are the rego fees. Shame we cant find a way to subsidise, its a lot of money when your trying to get kids to take up a new sport. Cost $185 + headgear and mouthgueard not inc jersey

2015 player fees are as follows
$145 for 1st or only child of your family playing for the club
$135 for 2nd child
$115 3rd child and subsequent children ...
Fees are due by 12th April 2015
Mandurah Storm uniform
Shorts $25
Socks $15
Game jerseys are supplied and re collected on game days
Kid sport vouchers are accepted by the club and cover the cost of your child's rego fees,shorts and socks.
Mouth guards are compulsory
Head gear is compulsory for age groups 10 and under

kbw

Bench
The new rules regarding #7 and #9 are definitely a step in the right direction. Especially because once a kid has worn the vest for either in a half (or third) he can't wear either vest again in the game.

On the jerseys Classic def still make theirs in Sydney, I have toured the factory.
Often junior leagues are tied into who the associated NRL club get their jerseys from.

Also Souths Juniors do still provide everything for free. Some clubs may charge a small fee nowdays but they look after their teams better than anyone else.
The Roosters also look after their junior clubs financially very well too.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Mandurah Storm are one of our newest Jnr clubs. Here are the rego fees. Shame we cant find a way to subsidise, its a lot of money when your trying to get kids to take up a new sport. Cost $185 + headgear and mouthgueard not inc jersey

2015 player fees are as follows
$145 for 1st or only child of your family playing for the club
$135 for 2nd child
$115 3rd child and subsequent children ...
Fees are due by 12th April 2015
Mandurah Storm uniform
Shorts $25
Socks $15
Game jerseys are supplied and re collected on game days
Kid sport vouchers are accepted by the club and cover the cost of your child's rego fees,shorts and socks.
Mouth guards are compulsory
Head gear is compulsory for age groups 10 and under

That is expensive, my son plays in country nsw and rego/cost was $100 which included playing shorts/sox and a training shirt and short, no other costs. Bargain, my daughter plays netball and rego was $180 plus $120 for playing suit ( does last a season or two), my other daughter does dancing and fees for that is a bloody outrage !!!! Scares me everytime my wife shows me a bill, then the end of year concert requires a meeting with the bank manger. Surf club is also bloody cheap $50 per child.

Being a new club your club might need a year or two to build up a cash kitty to reduce the fees ( and work out best way to raise money). I think it costs our club around $150 per player to run club ( NRL/CRL/insurance fees, clothing given to kids, ref fees etc) but that doesn't include club jerseys ( not cheap but used for 2-3 years ) and presentation day.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Totally agree. In a few years we will see a whole new set of talented halves in the senior game. It gives those kids that extra moment to pass, switch, run, kick without fear of losing possession if caught with the ball.

Here are the rules

Welcome to the start of a brand new Rugby League Season.

As you may be aware, there are a number of changes to the Laws of the Modified Games ages (6 ? 12 years) for Season 2015.

These changes are outlined in the Modified Games Changes ? 2015 document, which can be accessed by clicking on the link below.

http://www.playnrl.com/changes-to-modified-games-laws/

So, if you are a coach, player, referee, trainer or club administrator, check out the changes in preparation for the start of trials and the season proper.

Just so that you are aware, the changes include:
No scrums ? 6 to 12 year age groups
Tap kick re-start to the non-scoring team after a try as been scored ? 6 to 12 year age groups
Zero tackle ? to be applied at all ages the same as the International Game
No Conversion attempts ? 6 and 7 years only
Chances (for Knock-on and forward pass) in the Under 6?s only
Two Pass Variation ? Mod League only.
We hope you enjoy your footy throughout 2015.

Yours Sincerely

National Rugby League