What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior waits in the wings

The Colonel

Immortal
Junior waits in the wings Brad Earl
08May07
WHEN you've been named 18th man as you await your NRL debut, it's a case of so near but yet so far.

That's the case for Junior Paulo, who was the Parramatta Eels' 18th man against the Sydney Roosters last weekend.
But there were no team changes and the 23-year-old prop has to keep waiting something he is used to.
``This is the fourth time I've been on standby or 18th or 19th man,'' Paulo said.
``It's got to come soon hopefully.''
He made the Australian Schoolboys while in Year 11 at Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown, in 2000.
His brother, Joseph, was also an Australian Schoolboy from Patrician Brothers Blacktown last year.
Paulo shares his first name of Aukuso with his Samoan father.
``When I was growing up, saying my first name was always a bit awkward for people, so I'd just say Junior,'' he said.
His mother was from the tiny island nation of Niue and he was born in New Zealand.
Paulo, a Penrith junior from St Clair, rose to Jersey Flegg with the Panthers before joining Cronulla full-time in 2003.
After a stint in the Queensland Cup, he became a member of the Eels' part-time Premier League squad in 2005.
``The first year I wasn't really getting a run and then I worked my way back last year to play good footy, and then I got my opportunity to be full-time this year,'' Paulo said.
He says being older now, he is wiser.
``Not many players get a second chance but I was lucky,'' he said.
``I blew it when I was young.''
He says part of the problem during his time with the Sharks was that he moved out of home to be closer to training.
``Getting caught up in the going-out scene, drinking too much, just everything,'' Paulo said.
``All your mates ring you up and they're going out because they don't have commitments like you do as a football player but I was tending just to go out anyway, just still being young and taking opportunities for granted.''
To use a cliche, he's now making up for lost time.
``I think I am,'' he said.
``I don't have any regrets in life. I've learnt from my mistakes and I'm a much better person for it.
``Just don't look back. It's only forward now.''

http://www.parramattaadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/05/08/733_sports.html

Utey

Coach
Geez he's a talent. I've rated him ever since he came into our ranks and I think he won't let no one down.

PIG

Juniors
Get rid of Cannings (too soft & lazy) or Cordoba (cant hang onto the ball)

Tizzun

Juniors
Junior started to play really well last year before injury, and has continued that form this year. Hopefully he's a loyal sort of bloke because the Belmore vultures are after a young prop to replace O'Meley.

eelz47

Coach
i am lead to believe the belmore boys have sh*t loads of props, after hooker/half

Stagger eel

Staff member
eelz47 said:
i am lead to believe the belmore boys have sh*t loads of props, after hooker/half

they're definitely after a hooker...I'd say there'd be one Winging their way over for next year. ;-)

Tizzun

Juniors
eelz47 said:

Talking to a mate who's a dogs fan he seems to believe they will need to sign a of young prop for next year, his hope is they pick up Wicks. To be honest I am not sure about the player depth out at Belmore, not something I think about...

Gronk

Staff member
No loyalty in NRL anymore. Looks like Karl did what his manager told him to do. Tough on the Dogs though, they put their cash into a 15/16 yo and he shafts them when he's 18. Didn't even give them the last chance to match the bid.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gronk said:
No loyalty in NRL anymore. Looks like Karl did what his manager told him to do. Tough on the Dogs though, they put their cash into a 15/16 yo and he shafts them when he's 18. Didn't even give them the last chance to match the bid.

it's just the way of the world at the moment and Canterbury aren't the only ones being targeted, Parra, Penrith and the Wests Tigers are getting their juniors pinched by the likes of the Roosters, Manly and cronulla who don't seem to want to develop their own.

ffs we beat the Sharks SG Ball side by 68-0 so it's no wonder why they're offering kids like Karl the sort of money they did.

Tizzun

Juniors
Good money for an 18yo, he's having a kid in a month which probably meant he wanted to chase the money to support his family. No harm in that?

I thought as part of abolishing the June 30 anti-tampering deadline a team was meant to be given last chance to match another teams offer for a player?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tizzun said:
Good money for an 18yo, he's having a kid in a month which probably meant he wanted to chase the money to support his family. No harm in that?

I thought as part of abolishing the June 30 anti-tampering deadline a team was meant to be given last chance to match another teams offer for a player?

that's actually not the case at all but that also makes little difference to the situation.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
PIG said:
Get rid of Cannings (too soft & lazy) or Cordoba (cant hang onto the ball)

Cordoba will be a future rep player. He is a very solid allround.

Cannings is playing a simple game at the moment. I'd say Hages has got into his ear and told him no offloads & nothing fancy, just bash it up.

Whilst his defence is improving, he still has a long way to go. Dont forget with injuries over the last 3 seasons, his confidence wouldn't exactly be sky high. Give untill the season ends, and then assess him, otherwise you haven't seen the real deal.

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
Cordoba will be a future rep player. He is a very solid allround.

Cannings is playing a simple game at the moment. I'd say Hages has got into his ear and told him no offloads & nothing fancy, just bash it up.

Whilst his defence is improving, he still has a long way to go. Dont forget with injuries over the last 3 seasons, his confidence wouldn't exactly be sky high. Give untill the season ends, and then assess him, otherwise you haven't seen the real deal.

we would need to make a decision on bubba before the end of the season to re-sign him though, if we have ready made replacement I wouldn't be too upsept to see him go.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
we would need to make a decision on bubba before the end of the season to re-sign him though, if we have ready made replacement I wouldn't be too upsept to see him go.

Yeah these days you got to get in early and estabalish who needs to be signed, pretty much the same case with PJ otherwise we'll be left stranded with plenty of cash and no one to sign. It's a tough one because another 10 games could see him back to his form before we signed him.