What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jury duty

King hit

Coach
Yesterday I came back from holidays and saw a letter for me regarding potential jury duty in March

This is something I've never done before and wondering if anybody on here has done this and if so what was the experience like? The only person I know who has done this is my grandmother and she said it was boring.

Any other experiences?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Depends if you want to do it or not. Civic duty etc. But they generally ask for a lot of your time.

I have been asked twice and it would taken me away from my work. Self employed so it would have had a detrimental effect on income for family and home. I put that in the letter on both ocasions and I was given exemption.

A relative has done jury duty and said it was interesting, but he is semi-retired and has a lot more free time on his hands.

I got summoned last year for the first time. The only was to get out of it was as what Willow said - own your own business, previously booked travel plans or a medical exemption. Those were what I can remember. I travelled a lot for work and hadnt checked my mail for ages - I literally read the notice 2 days before I was due to go in.... I worked for a company and no way I could get exemption, but went along curious. Downing Centre in Sydney.

Basically went like this...

When arriving, had to register. the option I did get was to select the length of time I was available. I'd randomly been allocated a hearing of up to 3 months, but was allowed to apply for one up to 2 weeks. And given a number - asked to wait until called. Id estimate there were about 200-250 people in the waiting room.

They did a quick overview to the group, watched an into video, then went about calling up random numbers in groups - to be jury members on whatever cases were commencing an any given time throughout the morning and into the afternoon.

After about 4 hours I was literally one of the last 12 in the room - and we were there for about an hour or so on our own before the co-ordinator came out and said the case we were meant to join had been postponed due to something or other to do with recent evidence. Thus we weren't required and free to leave. We got paid for the full day (cant remember but think it was $120 or so, its a flat rate for all).

I was actually really disappointed as I was real keen to see what being on a jury was like.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’ve been called up twice, had the option to defer it for 6 months both times due to new baby and study commitments.

Was expecting a third call up after I deferred that second time, but that’s been many years since..

Re: experience, one of my friends did it & ended up foreman on a case that involved a death. She said it was an interesting experience, but given the subject matter had to see some pretty awful stuff in the evidence.

Parra

Referee
You are most likely to be called in for panel selection, and then dismissed before the requirement for a meal allowance kicks in. So about 3 hours of sitting around.

jargan83

Coach
I received a letter advising of Jury Duty selection about this time last year for March.

Had no reason to defer so turned up for 8am as stated in the letter. The day I was there the longest trial was listed to last 18 days, if I was there the next day there was trial listed for 38 days and another for 60 days.

Most of the people sitting near me weren't very interested in being there where as I was keen to be on a jury and witness the legal process in action.

One of the trials was in relation to child sex offences and there was an audible groan in the crowd when it was announced, luckily I wasn't selected for that one. The woman sitting next to me said "I've got 2 kids so I'd bet the person is guilty", she'd also been pretty vocal about not wanting to be there in the first place.

Eventually my number got called for a Greivous Bodily Harm case, went up to the court room where a second ballot was held (28 people had been called up) but my number wasn't called a second time so I was dismissed.

All up I was at the court house for nearly 4 hours and I didn't even get on a jury.

Rhyno

First Grade
a couple of weeks ago I got a $1800 fine for not going to jury duty about 12months ago

Rhyno

First Grade
the Morning I was meant to go to jury duty I got a text from my brother in-law to go out drinking at the pub so I did that instead

didn’t think it would cost me $1800 the first couple of fines I just ignored than I just had to pay it to stop it from increasing

Latest posts