What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just out of curiosity

LESStar58

Referee
Most Victorians STILL call league RUGBY so the code lives in a false shadow.

God that sh*ts me to tears! I've often had conversations not unlike this one:

"oh, you like rugby?"

"no, I like rugby LEAGUE. rugby is rugby union"

"pfffft. same thing."

And then when you tell them its NOT the same thing and try to explain the difference they don't care anyway.

Total ignorance on behalf of the general Melbourne public.

Having said that a great deal of AFL followers like RUGBY but don't like League, I would have guess that it has something to do with the "free for all" that AFL and Rugby can have in common.

Again, another argument i hear is that rugby union is "proper rugby" :lol:

Most AFL types fancy themselves to be cultured, sophisticated, educated well-to-do types in much the same way as GPS rugby union products do. They are basically a match made in heaven!

LESStar58

Referee
TheParraboy said:
thanks for all the feedback guys

Lesstar, sheet_ed some astonishing feedback there, that I was totally unaware of, thanks for explaining things in detail. I understand it now.

Hopefully there is a big crowd on Sunday, a very small step I know, but better than having a smallish crowd for a semi, that would give the afl honchos and the likes of fitzy another thing to crap on about.

Anyhow, I got a big drive down there tomorrow, better hit the sack soon

Good luck, hope its a corker of a game

You're comin' down? Excellent, you can experience some of the things were are talking about first hand. Walk around in your parra gear and I'll bet that people come up to you and ask if you are a West Coast supporter. :lol:

Nah, I shouldn't laugh as it probably will happen such is the ignorance.

Drive safe mate.

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
Channel 9 simply do not care. Nothing will make them budge. And putting it on Fox doesn't exactly help those people without pay TV.
Take the Manly v Nth Qld game.

Theres no other sporting contest on fta yet Nien still won't show this game untill the wee hours of tomorrow Morn. FFS.

General Sports fans will never take RL seriously untill the media does.

Kurt200

Juniors
I went to StateOfOrigin 3 in Melbourne last year had a great time,was a big crowd and the atmosphere at testra dome was awesome. I would do it again without doubt.
However when i was down there i couldnt believe the amount of AFL ads and merchandise, then i got the paper(regrets) and it had so much sh*t about AFL and like half a page for the storm- i couldnt believe it.

sportive cupid

Referee
Walking around Melbourne CBD yesterday it would be hard to believe that the Storm existed let alone were about to compete in the GF:lol:

AFL really does have it all over the NRL in Melbourne but curiously enough,if you had been in Sydney this time last year you would have been red and white all over! Sydney has embraced the Swans-Melbourne doesn't seem to be as generous to the Storm.I wonder whether it has less to do with things such as who choses the sport a child win play and more to do with the "watchablitly " or marketibilty of both codes.In a town where NRL is king,throw a little bit of success in AFL and you get a massive following.In a town were AFL is king throw in a lot of success in NRL and you get what?

Stormboyz

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
Walk around in your parra gear and I'll bet that people come up to you and ask if you are a West Coast supporter. :lol:
I had lunch with my sister on Sunday and while we were having a drink and waiting (I was wearing my Storm jersey by the way), my sister pointed to a guy who was wearing an Eels scarf and she said "Aren't the Eagles out of the finals? Why is that guy still wearing his Eagles scarf?'. having said that, she hasn't lived in Aus for 10 years and was only home for a week.
We still have a long way to go.

Stormboyz

Juniors
sportive cupid said:
Walking around Melbourne CBD yesterday it would be hard to believe that the Storm existed let alone were about to compete in the GF:lol:

AFL really does have it all over the NRL in Melbourne but curiously enough,if you had been in Sydney this time last year you would have been red and white all over! Sydney has embraced the Swans-Melbourne doesn't seem to be as generous to the Storm.I wonder whether it has less to do with things such as who choses the sport a child win play and more to do with the "watchablitly " or marketibilty of both codes.In a town where NRL is king,throw a little bit of success in AFL and you get a massive following.In a town were AFL is king throw in a lot of success in NRL and you get what?
Well when the Swans aren't winning games, then we'll see whether Sydney really supports the Swans or whether they they just go because it's something to do. Same with the Storm. Acid test will be on when we aren't winning. Take your blinkers off. Works both ways.

sportive cupid

Referee
The thing is the Storm ARE successful and they can't even get a following.

I have been a passionate follower of a rugby league team for 30 years now,but in the last few years I have certainly been swayed by the watchability of AFL which I knew very little about until about 5 years ago. Now my son has been playing the sport for three years after ditching the more violent RL.

BTW,the Swans didn't win that many games this year- numbers fell off a bit,but not much-still double pages spreads in the Sunday papers. The acid test comes when the team isn't successful- you are right.But if they can't get a following when successful I wouldn't like to see what happens when they aren't.

I feel that the blinkers are on the NRL die-hards that can't see that maybe they have to do a bit more thatn just say we have the best game. (and rememebr I have supported a RL team for 30 years)

Stormboyz

Juniors
sportive cupid said:
The thing is the Storm ARE successful and they can't even get a following.

I have been a passionate follower of a rugby league team for 30 years now,but in the last few years I have certainly been swayed by the watchability of AFL which I knew very little about until about 5 years ago. Now my son has been playing the sport for three years after ditching the more violent RL.

BTW,the Swans didn't win that many games this year- numbers fell off a bit,but not much-still double pages spreads in the Sunday papers. The acid test comes when the team isn't successful- you are right.But if they can't get a following when successful I wouldn't like to see what happens when they aren't.

I feel that the blinkers are on the NRL die-hards that can't see that maybe they have to do a bit more thatn just say we have the best game. (and rememebr I have supported a RL team for 30 years)
Can't get a following? We outnumber some Sydney based clubs and Olympic Park is hardly good for attracting a crowd. Reserve your judgement until the new stadium comes along. I am confident we will be averaging 20k at home in three or four years.
And for the record, I've been an AFL follower for 30 years, but have become disenchated with the code and now prefer rugby league. I knew very little about RL until five years ago. You and I have very similar stories, except that they are from different sides of the track.

sportive cupid

Referee
Fair enough. To be honest it would make me really happy to see that stormboyz.Rugby League has been in my blood for a long time.I still have one son playing it at A grade junior level. It just worries me when I see the interest (and as a lady I must say AFL does have a much greater appeal to women) that Aussie Rules does have ,and then I hear so many league supporters justify the obviously swinging tide in Sydney and the rock solid support in Melbourne with blind arguments.I just don't think we will get anywhere doing that.

BTW ,Stormboyz-as an AFL convert -what is it about League that has grabbed you?

Stormboyz

Juniors
sportive cupid said:
BTW ,Stormboyz-as an AFL convert -what is it about League that has grabbed you?
Well, I barrack for Richmond and although I will follow them until the day I die, our lack of success is really starting to wear me down. Also the AFL has taken away the contest with soft rule changes that basically make for glorified basketball. One team gains possession in defence and is allowed to run the ball up the forward line only to find all the opposition flooding back to prevent a score.
Rugby league attracted me because the physical aspect is still there. To see a prop gain possession of the ball and then run into a pack is something that the AFL has basically gotten rid of.
I've self-taught myself all the rule of RL just by watching and going to games. I'm still learning, but I'm doing well.
Also, I liked the way Storm made their members feel welcome and a real part of the club. I takemy daughter to games and she loves the face painting, the cheerleaders and the jumping castle they have at Olympic Park. Also, as a member, I feel valued by the club, whereas I'm just another number at Richmond.
It has gotten to the stage where I would prefer to watch a good game of league on TV now than any game of AFL. The only excpetion being that I will watch Richmond on TV ahead of anyone else, excpet for Storm.

Latest posts