What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Carney out for the Season

Chachi

Bench
Win news reported tonight that Justin Carney will be added to our season ending injury list after badly twisting his ankle by stepping into a rabbit hole on his parents property.

Bloody f**king rabbits!! This is nuts!

Herbert could be back for the grand final (if we make it).

Thommo will be out for 6 months.

Last edited:

Chachi

Bench
P.S. Hinchy sees his surgeon tomorrow to determine whether he can start contact work again.

Timbo

Staff member
I believe they're actually naming a wing of Cavalry Hospital 'the Canberra Raiders Wing', as we are now the occupying every bed in it.

edabomb

First Grade
Can't see us winning a game in the finals with this many players out :(

Dugan for the wing though!!!!

Raider Azz

Bench
todays canberra times mentioned that our salary cap (including the second-tier cap) is completely full for this season. we aren't able to elevate another player. with exactlly 17 fit players in the first grade squad ATM, one more injury and we are proper f**ked.

azza

Juniors
The NRL would have to offer some sort of dispensation if we ran out of players to put in our first grade side.

Bay56

First Grade
todays canberra times mentioned that our salary cap (including the second-tier cap) is completely full for this season. we aren't able to elevate another player. with exactlly 17 fit players in the first grade squad ATM, one more injury and we are proper f**ked.

now when did you start taking notice of newspaper reports Azz :lol:

serioulsy if we can't put 17 fit first tier players on the field the NRL will allow a second tier player irrespective that will mean you exceed the cap

the problem for us is that we have key positions that will need to be filled by inexperienced players ... I think as long as a few strategic players remain fit eg Campo, Tongue, Monas, Best and a few others pull a bit more than their usual weight we'll get to the finals and maybe last past the 2nd week.

Timbo

Staff member
Wasn't there a club this happened to a few years ago and they had to bring an amatuer player (from the JB Cup or something) into the side? I think the NRL's opinion at the time was 'tough luck' with the injuries.

I remember seeing Mark Asbock in a Canberra Raiders Cup side a year or two ago...I wonder in Neil Henry has his phone number???

Chachi

Bench
They will break the 2nd tier cap if needs be.

It just sucks because our salary cap includes wages for Dobson, Carney and Howell who were all released by the club and Goodwin who is suspended indefinitely.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I just hope releasing Dobbo doesn't bite us on the bum. The other 3 I couldn't care less about.

Freddo

Juniors
Canberra in appeal for Tom

By Steve Mascord | August 27, 2008 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

INJURY-CRIPPLED Canberra have launched an appeal to get suspended back-rower Tom Learoyd-Lahrs back for the final. As captain Alan Tongue was last night named halfback for Saturday's clash with North Queensland, coach Neil Henry revealed that lawyers were trying to overturn Learoyd-Lahrs' seven-match spear-tackle ban.
"We thought seven weeks was a bit unfair and we've got a solicitor looking at it now," Henry told The Daily Telegraph.
"If we can get leave to appeal, that would be positive step. He was always going to be suspended for at least three weeks so there isn't a massive rush.
"Hopefully we can have him back for the finals."
The Raiders yesterday received support from rival clubs in any bid to sign a replacement for Todd Carney - and his injured stand-in Marc Herbert - for the finals.
NRL chief David Gallop said the league would consider any request for an exception to be made for the Raiders to the June 30 signing deadline due to the "exceptional circumstances" of Carney's disciplinary axing.
But he said signing a player from another NRL club would be unlikely to be permitted.
But rival club bosses Brian Waldron, Bruno Cullen and Shane Richardson each said the Raider should not be punished for taking a stand against Carney and they had no problem with a new player being brought in.
But Henry ruled out a swap between Carney and Castleford's Brent Sherwin and said that - aside from Learoyd-Lars - "we'll run with what we've got".
Cronulla CEO Tony Zappia also ruled out trying to bring Trent Barrett in from Wigan as a replacement for the suspended Greg Bird.
Nigel Plum replaces Tongue as Raiders lock.
Prop Troy Thompson, also out for the rest of the year, has been replaced at lock by Nigel Plum
"It's just a number on the back really," said Tongue. "I've played more of a ball-playing role rhia year anyway so it's just an extension.
"Campo (Terry Campese) is definitely going to be doing more of the kicking but we do have options.
"I can kick if we needs something and Glen Buttriss has the ability out of dummy-half as well."
The Cowboys have dropped Steve Southern to the bench and promoted Ben Harris to the back row.

Chachi

Bench
I dont want Henry to leave...his been our best coach for quite sometime..
Which brings me to the question...is it the coach or the players?

For years we had to put up with the hype about Matt Elliott and how he made a team of nuffys into a finals chance. Now we are hearing about Neil Henry and the miracles he's doing.

Very rarely do we hear about the unreal players we have on our team.

In many ways Henry has been good (just look at the cleanout we've had over the past 2 years) but he has still made some clangers (IMO) when it comes to team selections. Thurling on the outer, Colin Best on the wing, Graham in the centres, Thommo on the bench, Goodwin on the wing, TLL rotting away at Souths Logan.

I'm just getting a bit sick of hearing how all the good work by the team somehow always comes back to the coach. Yes he has something to do with the way we are playing, but the boys need to be given credit for their ability to execute under extremely difficult circumstances.

Last edited:

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
well the players make the team, but the team is staying put..the only departure is Henry, besides the one or two guys.

The last time the team played like this we were a powerhouse team in the early 90s now im worried once he leaves we will turn into the big Mal coaching days lol.

Latest posts