What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JWH-Paul Gallen: A Tale of Two Suspensions

Generalzod

Immortal
Gallen is more than a grub. He's just a dirty w**ker. More than likely roid rage or 'peptide rage' as explaination for is cheap shots on Wednesday night. He complain of Myles leading with the head or twisting his knee, but how often is he the dirty merkin that drops in on the tackle with a knee on the bal runner or a cheap fist in the tackle.

Hope he gets his comeuppance in Game 2. I'm very much a neutral but I just want him to get smacked. Bird will have a cry about it but he f off as well.

Bring on the Game 2 fireworks. Different rules for origin so anythiing goes.

A left and right combinitation will be given to any willing Moron participate in Origin 2, courtesy of the hitman Gallen.

Last edited:
Lmfao moronic posts going around since Wednesday.

Gallen has grub in him, so does many many players.

Maybe the sooky la la boys in here can understand that if you watch closely most tackles, late shots, grub tactics are all left alone in origin. It's not just Gallen and its not just Nate.

I do agree it makes for inconsistent and seemingly unfair treatment when compared to club games. If Gal did that on any weekend he'd be walked and gone for a month. But its not the weekend game, it's origin.

Remember the three games every year that for the past 30 years has been different to every club game and that my fellow footy fans is why we love it, no matter who wins! ( but get farked Qld)

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is no consistency, I am just amazed the lawyers clubs take into the hearings don't use these decisions as precedents and clubs don't fire up more when the inconsistency is so obvious.

Glen

Bench
LOL @ this whole stupid thread. Is there going to be one of these every time there is punches thrown this year? I'm guessing not. In fact Gallen got far worse punishment than most fights usually get.

The way people carry on you'd think it was a Danny Williams style king hit

wibble

Bench
LOL @ this whole stupid thread. Is there going to be one of these every time there is punches thrown this year? I'm guessing not. In fact Gallen got far worse punishment than most fights usually get.

The way people carry on you'd think it was a Danny Williams style king hit
I agree, except I fear their may be a thread every time punches are thrown. And they may all get to 30+ pages of righteous ranting.

I only tender this supposition on the anecdotal evidence shown from this thread, that we seem to have quite a few commentators that seem oblivious to the rules and traditions of rugby league, but nevertheless feel the urge to contribute to a rugby league forum.

I often struggle to understand sarcasm in face to face communication, let alone in threads online, so the seemingly sudden proliferation of trolling in these forums might be snagging me again, but it seems to me that these commentators are both serious and completely unaware of their hypocrisy.

Exhibit 1: the OP
JWH: accidentally hits a player in the head while making a tackle: 5 weeks suspension, as well as being sent from the field.

Paul Gallen: deliberately hits a player in the head while not making a tackle: 1 week suspension.

And they wonder why they have no credibility.

What a disgrace, what a joke, what an embarrassment for a once great game.

I think JWH was probably a bit unlucky to have been sent off, in one sense, compared to the array of offenses that don't earn send offs these days. Though if that helped reduce his sentence he was probably lucky to have been sent.

But this post finishes with a lament to "this once great game" and then complains that Gallen's fighting and JWH's high tackle should have been treated more equally. In which decade of this "once great game" has fighting on the field ever been regarded as a more serious offense than a high shot?

The appeal to history seems very confused to me, as historically the OPs point is not at all supported. Maybe this really is a troll thread, started by someone with an obvious troll name like "Renowned League Expert".

The obvious feature that made the biggest difference in Gallen and JWH's suspension times though was loading, so if the OP has an issue with that, maybe that should be addressed in their post. Otherwise, it just sounds like a rant.

Speaking of which...
Exhibit 2: the sarcasm that I can detect
Because '''''apparently'''''' one was a great display of leadership. One they freely admit was intentional, and because of that he is a fantastic leadership and beneath the contempt of judgement. God save the soul of Paul Gallen. What a champion. Who would ever forget that brilliant moment a few years back when he ripped a dudes facial stitches open. What a hero. Glory glory to the great man.
I'm pretty sure, though not absolutely certain due to the semi coherent nature of the post, that this person does not actually wish glory to Gallen, nor perhaps feels he is a great man.

Obviously Gallen is disliked by some, as many players at NRL and Origin level are as they come from teams you don't like, and do things to the players you do like. It's sad but true, most players you like will get hit high, late, twisted etc at some time by pretty much everyone else in the game. You can rant about it with painful hyperbole and double quotation marks if you wish, its your right as a """"free citizen"""".

If you feel that a suspension for fighting, which seems to me to be unusual in the rugby league arena, is a light punishment, because Gallen is held up as a leader, or because it was a classic Origin moment, perhaps your case is better made with other examples rather than rambling sarcasm. Conspiracy theorists usually don't resort to finding evidence though, but I praise Tonearm Terrorwrist for quoting some examples. I'm not sure its obvious, but perhaps we could have some more examples of when Origin possible players have received discounted sentences before Origin matches and others haven't, it would make interesting reading.

It doesn't really explain why JWH got 5 weeks though, unless you think the 2 or so he got was unfair, as the rest was pretty much loading. Also, Gallen seemed to get more for fighting than others, not less as he is an Origin player. Has anyone else been given grade 2 striking for starting a fight before? I'm not sure.

Most of those in the news commenting on the "Soft" treatment Gallen got that sets a bad example for humanity, seem to be fans of other sports or very casual fans of rugby league. Only the true hardcore nuts in league seem to be getting worked up over Gallen as a personal affront to their existences.
Exhibit 3: the bad ass who will kill all you mother f***kers for supporting violence

Gallen is more than a grub. He's just a dirty w**ker. More than likely roid rage or 'peptide rage' as explaination for is cheap shots on Wednesday night. He complain of Myles leading with the head or twisting his knee, but how often is he the dirty merkin that drops in on the tackle with a knee on the bal runner or a cheap fist in the tackle.

Hope he gets his comeuppance in Game 2. I'm very much a neutral but I just want him to get smacked. Bird will have a cry about it but he f off as well.

Bring on the Game 2 fireworks. Different rules for origin so anythiing goes.
Now this has to be trolling doesn't it? The "I'm very much a neutral" seems like they're trying too hard to be reasonable, in a blatantly absurd post.

If this is for real, then the person who thinks Gallen is a "dirty w**nker" (I hope they don't mean literally) has decided to judge him a psychotic drug cheat without any evidence. And complains that Gallen's response to violence is more violence, thereby hoping that Gallen is subject to more violence. And they approve that Origin has different rules, but are upset that Gallen used them (again with no evidence that the rules were in fact enforced differently).

Well, its a pleasant change from the self righteous pacifist response.

When posters are complaining about violence and wishing more as a response, it does tend to suggest butt hurt levels of bias, and we seem to be getting this from some Queensland supporters about this Gallen incident, and Roosters supporters about JWH.

Hopefully my post is so long and boring (as I tend to make them that way) that it kills this thread (and if so, I might try to kill off the epic failure of a thread on the Gallen """""fight""""" in the interstate section, thereby using my new found powers for good and not evil). But seriously, what about a regulation high shot (from weeks ago) and a few weeks suspension (with extra for loading, a serious issue that could be discussed but isn't), and a regulation attempt to start a brawl, has suddenly fascinated people?

JWH hit someone high, maybe the send off was a bit harsh, probably helped him anyway, didn't hurt the Roosters, got suspended for a regulation time for that sort of offense plus a chunk extra for loading,
seems about right.

Gallen started a fight with someone he hit high who objected to it and shaped up to get him, fight didn't last, Gallen got some early hits in before Myles reacted and then team mates stopped them both, Gallen should have been penalised and put on report for the high tackle, and was, got suspended for a week with a good record, seems about right.
/story

StormHi

Juniors
I agree, except I fear their may be a thread every time punches are thrown. And they may all get to 30+ pages of righteous ranting.

I only tender this supposition on the anecdotal evidence shown from this thread, that we seem to have quite a few commentators that seem oblivious to the rules and traditions of rugby league, but nevertheless feel the urge to contribute to a rugby league forum.

I often struggle to understand sarcasm in face to face communication, let alone in threads online, so the seemingly sudden proliferation of trolling in these forums might be snagging me again, but it seems to me that these commentators are both serious and completely unaware of their hypocrisy.

Exhibit 1: the OP

I think JWH was probably a bit unlucky to have been sent off, in one sense, compared to the array of offenses that don't earn send offs these days. Though if that helped reduce his sentence he was probably lucky to have been sent.

But this post finishes with a lament to "this once great game" and then complains that Gallen's fighting and JWH's high tackle should have been treated more equally. In which decade of this "once great game" has fighting on the field ever been regarded as a more serious offense than a high shot?

The appeal to history seems very confused to me, as historically the OPs point is not at all supported. Maybe this really is a troll thread, started by someone with an obvious troll name like "Renowned League Expert".

The obvious feature that made the biggest difference in Gallen and JWH's suspension times though was loading, so if the OP has an issue with that, maybe that should be addressed in their post. Otherwise, it just sounds like a rant.

Speaking of which...
Exhibit 2: the sarcasm that I can detect

I'm pretty sure, though not absolutely certain due to the semi coherent nature of the post, that this person does not actually wish glory to Gallen, nor perhaps feels he is a great man.

Obviously Gallen is disliked by some, as many players at NRL and Origin level are as they come from teams you don't like, and do things to the players you do like. It's sad but true, most players you like will get hit high, late, twisted etc at some time by pretty much everyone else in the game. You can rant about it with painful hyperbole and double quotation marks if you wish, its your right as a """"free citizen"""".

If you feel that a suspension for fighting, which seems to me to be unusual in the rugby league arena, is a light punishment, because Gallen is held up as a leader, or because it was a classic Origin moment, perhaps your case is better made with other examples rather than rambling sarcasm. Conspiracy theorists usually don't resort to finding evidence though, but I praise Tonearm Terrorwrist for quoting some examples. I'm not sure its obvious, but perhaps we could have some more examples of when Origin possible players have received discounted sentences before Origin matches and others haven't, it would make interesting reading.

It doesn't really explain why JWH got 5 weeks though, unless you think the 2 or so he got was unfair, as the rest was pretty much loading. Also, Gallen seemed to get more for fighting than others, not less as he is an Origin player. Has anyone else been given grade 2 striking for starting a fight before? I'm not sure.

Most of those in the news commenting on the "Soft" treatment Gallen got that sets a bad example for humanity, seem to be fans of other sports or very casual fans of rugby league. Only the true hardcore nuts in league seem to be getting worked up over Gallen as a personal affront to their existences.
Exhibit 3: the bad ass who will kill all you mother f***kers for supporting violence

Now this has to be trolling doesn't it? The "I'm very much a neutral" seems like they're trying too hard to be reasonable, in a blatantly absurd post.

If this is for real, then the person who thinks Gallen is a "dirty w**nker" (I hope they don't mean literally) has decided to judge him a psychotic drug cheat without any evidence. And complains that Gallen's response to violence is more violence, thereby hoping that Gallen is subject to more violence. And they approve that Origin has different rules, but are upset that Gallen used them (again with no evidence that the rules were in fact enforced differently).

Well, its a pleasant change from the self righteous pacifist response.

When posters are complaining about violence and wishing more as a response, it does tend to suggest butt hurt levels of bias, and we seem to be getting this from some Queensland supporters about this Gallen incident, and Roosters supporters about JWH.

Hopefully my post is so long and boring (as I tend to make them that way) that it kills this thread (and if so, I might try to kill off the epic failure of a thread on the Gallen """""fight""""" in the interstate section, thereby using my new found powers for good and not evil). But seriously, what about a regulation high shot (from weeks ago) and a few weeks suspension (with extra for loading, a serious issue that could be discussed but isn't), and a regulation attempt to start a brawl, has suddenly fascinated people?

JWH hit someone high, maybe the send off was a bit harsh, probably helped him anyway, didn't hurt the Roosters, got suspended for a regulation time for that sort of offense plus a chunk extra for loading,
seems about right.

Gallen started a fight with someone he hit high who objected to it and shaped up to get him, fight didn't last, Gallen got some early hits in before Myles reacted and then team mates stopped them both, Gallen should have been penalised and put on report for the high tackle, and was, got suspended for a week with a good record, seems about right.
/story

Hands down one the best posts I have ever had the pleasure of reading on this site!!!

:D:):cool:

*no sarcasm

Hang on a second. JWH jumps and clobbers Rose around the head with a swinging arm. It was deliberate, and as far as high tackles go, it was terrible.

I reckon Gallen should have got 2 weeks total, probably one for his swinging arm and one for the striking charge.

I love how people are saying it was deliberate as a matter of fact.

JWH "jumps" into most his tackles, JWH pulls angry faces in most his tackles, JWH swings his arm in most his tackles. His tackling form against Rose was no different to what he does every time he tackles, the only difference was Rose shit himself.

Glen

Bench
Uhh no, the only difference was that he belted Rose in the head with said swinging arm. It's pretty much impossible to prove intent on tackles like that but it was a bad shot

I always thought that a suspension should be in direct proportion to the potential for damage that the act may have caused.

With that in mind, I fail to see how JWH's tackle could be considered 5 times more dangerous than Gallen's punches.

It is utterly ridiculous.

And I don't care about "loading" or any other judiciary bulls-it. Fact is, JWH was suspended for 5 weeks for that tackle, which didn't hurt anyone just like Gallen's punches didn't hurt anyone.

Jason Maher

Immortal
JWH wants to swing his arm and jump and pull angry faces in every tackle, then he has to cop what comes with that if he times one wrong.

Also, Gallen should have received a 5 week credit to go toward any future suspensions for both actions against Myles.

no name

Coach
+1 JM.
Loading is there for a reason, and JWH copped a longer suspension because of it.

Uhh no, the only difference was that he belted Rose in the head with said swinging arm. It's pretty much impossible to prove intent on tackles like that but it was a bad shot

Belted Rose in the head because Rose shit himself, and stumbled his tackle, so no to your no.

Wasn't a bad shot. If the NRL don't like tackles like that then maybe the refs could have let him know the thousand other times he's gone into tackles with the same technique?

JWH wants to swing his arm and jump and pull angry faces in every tackle, then he has to cop what comes with that if he times one wrong.

Also, Gallen should have received a 5 week credit to go toward any future suspensions for both actions against Myles.

So if you want to run around making strong, otherwise legal tackles, you have to be prepared for a 5 week ban when somebody falls into a tackle, just because you're a hard merkin that hits with force?

Big guys who tackle with ferocity should expect, no in fact they deserve, long bans when it goes wrong.

You sound like a f**king NRL ref.

Glen

Bench
So by that logic the flying elbows we saw from Hopoate and Clint Newton years back should not have even earned suspensions as they were attempted shoulder charges gone wrong.

You can attempt the worst king hit of all time but if you miss completely you have no case to answer, and that's the way it has always been. And if you jump into tackles swinging your arm into a player's chest then you pay the penalty when you belt him in the head.

Nerd

Bench
Firstly everyone is lambasting Gallen and or Myles when its the ineptitude of Ashley Klein and Shane Hayne that should be front and centre.

Gallen should have been penalised for the cheap shot on Myles straight up. If both refs hadn't missed it (or ignored it) there wouldn't have been a fight.

I do agree though that if Myles is going to blow up about it he should have kept his hands up as Gallen is a known grub and was always going to throw a few if confronted.

When Gallen did land a few on Myles the refs should have put him in the bin for 10 minutes to show that they are in control, especially when the goose admitted that it was a square up for the way Myles tackles.

Biggest LOL was when Gallen later defended his actions with a comparison to what happened in the first origin in 1980. FFS the merkin wasn't even born then...

But Gallen is Gallen and JWH is well...JWH

Its like comparing god like status to pee wee Herman (large version)

Okay that's was a poor attempt at humour, so don't get your panties twisted.

You cannot ignore the loading, no matter how much you wish to. Yes Gallen can or has been a grub and a bad one. He has cleaned up his act a lot, but always a risk of a brain snap I reckon.

He should have been sent to the bin for 10. Ref got it wrong.

JWH getting 5 weeks is bullshit. The loading system sucks balls.

It is what it is and something needs to change, but comparing these two incidents isn't going to make that change.

BranVan3000

Coach
Paul Gallen is a protected species

There is no reason that punching a player in the face shouldn't be dealt with in the harshest terms